Rose McGowen

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Moraldo Rubini

Rose McGowen

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Just discovered that this year's co-host for The Essentials is Rose McGowen. This choice seemed wildly random to me, but I see that he was one of the guest "programmers" last November and supposedly she impressed the network with her classic film knowledge. Did anyone see her night? I'm curious what she said that convinced them that she should take Carrie Fisher's and Molly Haskell's place...
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Well, Kyle In Hollywood thinks highly of her. I think her (as well as all the guest hosts) intros are in the TCM video forum.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I personally think it's because she's young, attractive, and has a smattering of movie knowlege. RO clearly enjoyed having her on (of course he loved having Kermit on too!) and I think her night and choice of films actually had some positive aspects in ratings and posting on the TCM board. As for myself, I was not impressed, but TCM is trying (and needs) to attract new fans.

I know a lot of people hated Molly Haskell, but she's a good writer and a smart critic. The problem was she did not translate well to the screen. Carrie Fisher might be a very nice person, but as for offering any kind of insight into the films--I don't really see anything there. As for screen prescence, she seems pretty abrasive. Rose and RO did have a nice chemistry and if they draw in new fans and keep TCM rolling (as it is), I won't complain.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Mr. Arkadin:

I don't know anything about Rose McGowen, but about Molly Haskell, you said: "I know a lot of people hated Molly Haskell, but she's a good writer and a smart critic."

I cannot put too much faith into a writer about films and a film critic who is on a show to introduce and discuss a movie which she admits she had never seen until that previous week. Gunga Din is a film consistently discussed in association with Cary Grant, Douglas Fairbanks, and Sam Jaffe, How can you be a participant of a classic TV channel and not have seen the top 100 films of all time? Gunga Din may not be on AFI's top 100 list, but how can she discuss any of those three actors and that movie not come up, which would naturally pique your curiosity as to what it amounted to? Then she gives the lame excuse "I thought it was a man's movie". Well golly, gee. Some of my favorite movies are 'men's movies', who cares? Doug and Cary in one movie together - sounds like some real eye candy to me!!!!!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Anne,

First, I give her credit for admitting on a nationwide cable network she had not seen the film. Not an easy thing for any critic.

No one can see every film. There are many films that I and others would never know about it if wasn't for other posters bringing them to our attention. If you've read Haskell's book: From Reverence to Rape, you would have some idea of the types of films she dissects.

Critics, like regular film fans, have their favorites and specialties. There are some critics who are jack of all trades and know a little bit about every genre and there are others who focus in a particular area. Haskell is the latter. Her book (subtitled The Treatment of Women in Movies") is well written and has been essential reading for film students since it's original issue in 1973. She has also written for the New York Times and Village Voice (there are critics who still quote her review of Fassbinder's The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant [1972]). Expecting someone to know every film is a bit unrealistic.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Mr. A:

I know what the New York Times is, but what in the world is the Village Voice? It sounds like a hippie one pager from Greenwich Village in the days of the flower children, and why do people quote it?

I gave my reasons why I would expect Molly to know what Gunga Din is, and why she should have seen it previously but regardless, I find nothing admirable about someone stating on TV "I'm dumb . . . duh". I don't consider her a critic because RO was constantly waiting for a response from her to his comments and they were rarely forthcoming. She was a dud on the show, and I have stated before, if you can't do the job, don't take it. Why would a person take on a job of critiquing when they know they can't do it?
Additionally, if she is a 'womans' movie' fan only, then she should have stipulated that only those movies should be shown, so she could participate.

Anne
Anne

benwhowell

Kiss, kiss, bang, bang!

Post by benwhowell »

That is an interesting choice to co-host The Essentials.
Too bad she's no longer with Marilyn Manson. He'd be a great host for TCM Underground...
Rose was so cool in "Planet Of Terror" (from the Tarantino/Rodriguez collaboration, "Grindhouse") with her "machine gun leg." :twisted:
Handsome Johnny Eck
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

mrsl wrote:Mr. A:

I know what the New York Times is, but what in the world is the Village Voice? It sounds like a hippie one pager from Greenwich Village in the days of the flower children, and why do people quote it?

I gave my reasons why I would expect Molly to know what Gunga Din is, and why she should have seen it previously but regardless, I find nothing admirable about someone stating on TV "I'm dumb . . . duh". I don't consider her a critic because RO was constantly waiting for a response from her to his comments and they were rarely forthcoming. She was a dud on the show, and I have stated before, if you can't do the job, don't take it. Why would a person take on a job of critiquing when they know they can't do it?
Additionally, if she is a 'womans' movie' fan only, then she should have stipulated that only those movies should be shown, so she could participate.

Anne
Ignorance is not the same as stupidity. I do not assume you are dumb because you have never heard of the Village Voice publication for example. I personally don't know how or who chooses the movies for The Essentials program, but I doubt it's the guest. Molly did her homework by viewing the upcoming film before the show. Just because she hadn't seen it for the 15th time is no big deal. Do you actually think RO has seen every single film he's introduced?

As I stated previously in this thread, Haskell was a poor fit for the show. I think they assumed that because a person is a good writer or critic they will be good on screen. That was clearly not the case with Molly, and I said so. As for whether or not she's a good critic or writer, I would suggest you read some of her work and then make your decision.

Rose McGowan and RO looked very good on her night and seemed to have a natural chemistry. She could talk about the films she had chosen and had good presence in front of the camera. TCM has probably given her the gig to attract younger viewers and grow that section of their market. This is actually a good idea as most older TCM viewers do not watch The Essentials on a regular basis, having seen most of these films beforehand. I think this could possibly energize the show and win TCM an entirely new audience.

Ben, MM would be interesting. I wish they could get Rob Zombie back. That man is a walking encyclopedia and not just in the area of film. Another interesting choice for Underground might be in trying to lure Joe Bob Briggs in. Another great writer and critic with down-home screen persona to boot! 8)
benwhowell

Moonlighting On TCM

Post by benwhowell »

Another November guest programmer I was quite pleased with (and surprised at her "classic film" knowledge) was Cybill Shepard.
It seems like she really listened to Bogdanovich and learned a lot from his library of film books...and met many "players" from the Hollywood of yester-year.
She's energetic, upbeat, charming and has great sex appeal...just your average Southern belle.
Love that slight Southern accent...She's a fellow Memphian, you know.
Handsome Johnny Eck
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I still don't know what the Village Voice is, and please also, someone, tell me how you break your neck with a garage door?

Anne
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

It is a weekly NY City newspaper. Here's a Wikipedia link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village_Voice
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks Chris:

Sounds like I wasn't that far off in my imaginary description of it. Ignorance breeds stupidity, but never having stepped foot in New York State, I had no way of knowing what the Village Voice was. Stupid would have been in never asking, which Haskell did not do far enough in advance, and because of her lack of knowledge of later movies, apparently there were more that came along which she again was not familiar with. But enough about Haskell, my dislike of her is coming through and I had not planned on that. :cry:

I'm going over to discuss Barbara and Wendell.

Anne
Anne

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

One point was made in favor of Rose: that these are Essentials, and that program is meant to introduce these films to a new generation. And I understand the attraction of lovely women. I think they should consider Naked Women, myself. I'm a big fan of Naked Women. If they REALLY want a whole new audience, why not? Or maybe just G-Strings and Pasties? Spinning bowties? Lighted hats? Carmen Miranda-wannabe's? If they want Attraction-Getters, why not go for the REAL attaction getters? (After all, Demi Moore looked pretty good on that chrome pole.)

I mean, why limit these beauties to deep-cut necklines and tautly stretched material? If Sex Sells, why not REALLY sell it? ("Holy Willie Wonka, Batman! You won WHAT?!! With WHO?!!")

Aside from that, I'll give her a watch and a listen. I'll remind myself "She's talking to people who've never seen these films supposedly." After all, very very few of us saw these films on their initial theatrical appearances. All of us had belated introductions to many of these Essentials.

I will always hope for higher, more educated standards when TCM selects their Guest Programmers. James Ellroy can come back again and again, as far as I'm concerned.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hmmm, Ollie, very funny--sort of...I guess, if you're a guy?!

I do like your idea of James Ellroy as a co-host. He's such a thoughtful and knowledgeable guy. The only problem with Ellroy is that he almost always sees the dark side of life, (understandable, given his family history).

I wish that they'd pick a different co-host for Mr. Osborne to chat with on a monthly basis. It would be much more fun to see a variety of people there, with different backgrounds and viewpoints. I wonder if they've ever considered that...
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks