Western Soundtracks

Belle

Re: Western Soundtracks

Post by Belle »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 11th, 2023, 2:14 pm
Belle wrote: May 11th, 2023, 12:25 am "Santa Fe Trail", 1940, Michael Curtiz. A terrific film and here is the complete restoration on U-Tube. It's a great yarn and I note Special Effects by Byron Haskin who went on to become a well-known noir director!!
Byron Haskin directed two noirs that I know of, both with Lizabeth Scott; I Walk Alone with Lancaster and Douglas (their first film together), and Too Late for Tears with Dan Duryea and Arthur Kennedy.

I Walk Alone has a lot to offer but I dislike what I find to be a traditional 30s gangster film type ending instead of a 40s film noir ending. Also, Scott doesn't have a lot to do, and I find her acting lacking in this film.

Too Late for Tears is Liz Scott as one of the all-time cold blooded femme fatales, outdoing iconic noir actor Dan Duryea in terms of being willing to do anything to get what she wants.
I always liked Lizabeth Scott. She was excellent in "The Strange Case of Martha Ivers"!! I must re-visit "I Walk Alone" to see what you mean about the ending!!
Belle

Post by Belle »

"Western Union", 1941 Fritz Lang. A great tale!

"The Man from Laramie", 1955 Anthony Mann. A STUNNING restoration has been made of the entire film, if you can get it!! A very good film from a first rate director.

Belle

Post by Belle »

"Bend of the River", 1952 Anthony Mann. Such a great director!!

GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith
Belle

Post by Belle »

"3.10 to Yuma". Very good film too:

Belle

Post by Belle »

"The Last Sunset", directed by Robert Aldrich. A very fine film - a psychological western with themes of incest - starring Kirk Douglas.

GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith