October 2023 Schedule Posted, Charlton Heston is SOTM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
cmovieviewer

October 2023 Schedule Posted, Charlton Heston is SOTM

Post by cmovieviewer »

TCM has posted a partial schedule for October, 2023.
Charlton Heston is Star of the Month (his 2nd time).

Additional details are available at my schedule information page:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html
speedracer5

Re: October 2023 Schedule Posted, Charlton Heston is SOTM

Post by speedracer5 »

I'm happy to see that the typical horror movies are featured as part of a spotlight and not the entire month. As someone who is very specific about the types of horror they enjoy, I appreciate that the entire schedule isn't saturated in these types of films. They should follow a similar schedule format in December for the Christmas movies. As much as I love many of the Christmas movies they show, I don't need to watch "Meet Me in St Louis" and "Holiday Affair" half a dozen times in the same month.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Someone's favorite movie, with Lucy and Desi,will play in October.
Christmas In Connecticut plays a lot too.
Doesn't have to be December.
I vote for Noir Alley playing 4 movies in a row, once a month.
Just like now, Saturday Night, repeated Sunday Morning.
Okay, Eddie may record all of his videos for a month at once.
That's fine, but instead of doing a wrap-around for each film, he could do Noir 101.
These items don't have to be one and done.
As I mentioned in another thread, creating content that can be used again.
2-15 minute Noir lessons.
Saturday Matinee with Dave Karger. Same thing. 4 movies!
Guess what I'm thinking for Silent Sunday?
More interviews with Ben and Alicia.
Bring back guest hosts/guest programmers.
Vintage interviews with Robert Osborne.
Just like with Julie Andrews being interviewed about movies to be shown, Barbra Streisand as well.
Richard Dreyfuss. Ron Howard. Oh! Shirley Jones.
(Just thinking out loud)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Nice to see a couple of Satyajit Ray films on October 15:

Devi (1960)
The Holy Man (1965)

There's a wide range of types of horror films, which is nice, but I'm still waiting for some Mexican horror.

The Woman in White (1948) is not as good a film as it should be, but it has that totally over the top and enjoyable performance by John Abbott, who wins the award for best nervous wreck in any movie, ever!

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I normally mute the "main" host but wanted to satisfy my intuition that Heston's politics would be brought up in the intro. Sadly and surely they were.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

TOUCH OF EVIL tonight! My favorite Orson Welles performance and movie. Poor Janet Leigh -- zero luck with motels. (I wonder if Hitch saw her in this) Joseph Calleia's best performance imo.
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

Is my mind playing tricks? I just watched Heston in Diamond Head (1962) but it's not listed. It may have been on my DVR for a bit though, so maybe part of some other theme last month? Regardless, he was pretty good, though the movie dealt with interracial relationships in the usual way, by not really having any. The "pure" Hawaiians were played by George Chakiris, James Darren and Aline MacMahon, with Aline being the only one to make you forget the subterfuge.

Soylent Green (1974) is on tonight and makes for a pretty good Halloween tie-in, but I sure wish TCM would dig deep into the moneybags and give us Paramount's Secret of the Incas (1954) and Lucy Gallant (1955). Incas has the reputation of being an Indiana Jones precursor but the funnest thing to me is Heston's "Oh no. they didn't just say that" relationship with Glenda Farrell as a married American tourist who makes no bones about what she wants from him and he about what he would expect in return, but a tiny bit obliquely because it was 1954 after all. Raunch in the Andes! (Heston calls Thomas Mitchell "ten pounds in a five pound bag", leaving the "s" word hanging in the air.) Toss in three Yma Sumac numbers and you've got a winner. Lucy Gallant follows jilted bride-to-be Jane Wyman as she's stranded on the Texas frontier and strikes up a relationship with rancher Heston. She parlays her trousseau into a fashion empire (What plucky gal wouldn't?), culminating in an Edith Head runway show at Lucy's new fashion emporium. Heston is only OK in the thankless John Gavin supportive male role but the movie's fun and should come around more often.
"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
Masha

Post by Masha »

I Love Melvin wrote: October 25th, 2023, 9:21 am Soylent Green (1974) is on tonight and makes for a pretty good Halloween tie-in,
I do hope that you check out: The Omega Man (1971) scheduled immediately after. I like it a bit more than Soylent Green (1974) despite it not doing as well at the box office. Anthony Zerbe is quite good as a Halloweenish baddie.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya