Stop Making Sense (1984)

wmcclain

Stop Making Sense (1984)

Post by wmcclain »

Stop Making Sense (1984), directed by Jonathan Demme.

Recently a friend introduced me to "reaction videos", specifically that type where younger people give -- usually appreciative -- first time listens to the music of older generations. Watching another person's pleasure at discovering old tunes is infectious good fun and never fails to cheer me up.

Partly this is flattery of the Boomer audience and I would not blame a youtube creator from adding a little performance art to their programs; people can be sincere about what they are selling. Still, you can detect unfeigned pleasure and these are the best reactions.

(An aside: Not to introduce a depressing aspect, but when you get older you see the books, music and movies of your youth slipping into darkness. It could not be otherwise; time doesn't stop. Seeing old loved art appreciated anew is an unexpected source of joy, a slight hesitation in the dying of the light).

I came across large-hearted Jamal's video of his first time viewing Talking Heads live "Life During Wartime", taken from this concert film:

So I had to go back and rewatch the whole movie. Seven cameras were used to assemble footage from several nights of the concert, performed in the same location.

In an ingenious approach we start with a bare stage and watch the concert assembled player by player, module by module, until everyone is present for "Burning Down the House". It's a very physical performance, culminating in the aerobics session of the above "Life During Wartime". I honestly don't know how they did it.

The roadies deserve extra thanks on this one. Dressed in black like kabuki operators they invisibly build the show and keep it going.

No audience response shots until the very end, which is fine. The cameras and our eyes are free to roam over the ensemble, studying each performer. David Byrne as front-man gets the most attention, but my eye is irresistibly drawn to bassist Tina Weymouth.

I know I'm not the only one. In an interview she said that even in the earliest days of the band, people in the audience would yell "Tina! TINA!" She cut her hair short, wore boy's clothes and tried to look unobtrusive, making things easier for Byrne, who was shy and introverted by nature. She's past that by this time.

By the way: although self-taught on guitar she did not play the bass until invited to do so for the band and had to learn on the job. That takes guts. If I could play the bass she would be my ideal: not virtuoso lines but right there in the music.

As I write this in 2021, she and Talking Heads drummer Chris Frantz are still married.

Photographed by Jordan Cronenweth -- Altered States (1980), Blade Runner (1982), Cutter's Way (1981), The Nickel Ride (1974), Rolling Thunder (1977).

Music by Talking Heads. I saw them once in a nice concert hall. Just performing, nothing like the aerobic workout of this concert.

Available on Blu-ray. An edited commentary track has pleasant thoughts by the director and the group's "core 4" recorded 15 years later. I learned a lot.

Demme says they watched a lot of concert films and were most influenced by Rust Never Sleeps (1979), directed by and featuring Neil Young, and The Last Waltz (1978), about "The Band" and directed by Martin Scorsese.

Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Lomm
Administrator

Re: Stop Making Sense (1984)

Post by Lomm »

Easily the best concert film of all time, and it's not close.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: April 7th, 2023, 7:05 am Easily the best concert film of all time, and it's not close.
Oh, really? Have you seen every concert film?

I haven't. Never seen Stop Making Sense (not a Talking Heads fan), so I cannot judge it against the few concert films that I've seen. But then, concert films are not really my cup of tea. Only four concert movies are in my movie library: The T.A.M.I. Show, The Big T.N.T. Show, Gimme Shelter, and Woodstock. I also enjoyed, but do not own, Monterery Pop.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

See that's the thing though...I'm not a huge Talking Heads fan either, but the show is absolutely captivating. And of course I haven't seen EVERY concert film. :roll: I have, however, seen the majority of the best known ones, including all of these on this Rolling Stone article:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... =logged_in

FWIW, they have this at number 3.

Similarly, without having seen EVERY live performance of all bands, I think Queen at Live Aid is probably the best concert performance ever (and I'm not really a Queen fan). Many people agree with that as well. It's possible to use hyperbole and still be in the realm of reality, each according to their own taste, of course. ;)
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: April 7th, 2023, 2:38 pm . . . Similarly, without having seen EVERY live performance of all bands, I think Queen at Live Aid is probably the best concert performance ever (and I'm not really a Queen fan). Many people agree with that as well. It's possible to use hyperbole and still be in the realm of reality, each according to their own taste, of course. ;)
And if "many people" didn't agree with your opinion, would that affect your enjoyment and estimation of Queen at Live Aid?

I don't have any problem when someone expresses his/her opinion as an opinion ("I think"). It's when someone hyperbolically declares his/her opinion as fact (the undisputed truth and common knowledge) . . .

That's when I get "triggered."

That is -- how you say? -- my neurosis.
Last edited by EP Millstone on April 8th, 2023, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I saw The Song Remains the Same many years ago and in my memory I still can't disentangle the concert footage from
those god awful fantasy sequences. So I have to ding the movie a bit for that reason. While the movie itself isn't free on
YT, a two hour DVD of concert footage is available gratis and you don't have to watch Jimmy Page do his Aleister Crowley
impersonation.

Rude Boy (1980) is a movie about a guy who is A Clash fan and wants to be a roadie for the band. While it's not a full
fledged concert movie, it does contain a lot of good Clash concert footage.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Andree wrote: April 7th, 2023, 4:10 pm I saw The Song Remains the Same many years ago and in my memory I still can't disentangle the concert footage from
those god awful fantasy sequences. So I have to ding the movie a bit for that reason. While the movie itself isn't free on
YT, a two hour DVD of concert footage is available gratis and you don't have to watch Jimmy Page do his Aleister Crowley
impersonation.
The only reason that I saw The Song Remains the Same is because it played at a movie theatre I worked at a lifetime ago. It was a "midnight movie" and attracted the worst audience it was my extreme displeasure to have ever encountered. Half the audience was dazed (stoned). Half the audience was confused (drunk). The entire auditorium stank with the fragrance of weed and the hot, heavy, pungent, suffocating stench of overcrowded humanity. And I won't go into the "fragrance" of the restrooms after the clientele got through using them. I watched a colleague go berserk and beat a patron into the carpet with his flashlight, and politely resisted the attempts of another colleague's drunk sister as she woozily tried to undress me in the theatre lobby.

A lovely time was had by all.

I'd always attended midnight movies in which horror movies were the fare. Instead "my" theatre got a rock concert movie -- a calamity that fell under the category of What Is and Should Never Be, as far as I was concerned.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I would imagine that many of the ushers were asking themselves How Many More Times are we going to have to suffer through
this? At least no one threw a TV from the balcony. I saw TSRTS in much more comfortable circumstances. The college I went to
showed a movie every night and TSRTS turned up one evening at the usual 8 p.m. starting time. That's not to say some of the
students, including myself, weren't stoned, but we arrived that way, as smoking weed on the premises was strictly forbidden. I
still like Led Zeppelin, though I don't listen to their albums very often. Thank You.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

There's been a major restoration and re-release. The band talked about it last night with Stephen Colbert. This is the second of three segments from that interview; it covers the film specifically but the other segments are on YouTube and have great stories for any fans out there. Colbert really geeked out in his introduction and I was with him all the way. What a band and what a movie.

[
"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Lomm wrote: April 7th, 2023, 7:05 am Easily the best concert film of all time, and it's not close.
:smiley_clap: You could be quoting my friend who said much the same last week.