MATLOCK reboot starring Kathy Bates

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Andree

Re: MATLOCK reboot starring Kathy Bates

Post by Andree »

jimimac71 wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 9:31 pm
I might be watching "Pushing Up Daisies" by then.
I'll likely be pushing up daisies. I don't think I've seen every Matlock episode,
but I've seen most of them and I'm not really interested in a reboot.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

Why bother? Was it so difficult to come up with an original series about a lady attorney? Is just to hook on to a name that might resonate with some TV viewers?
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

jameselliot wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 11:05 pm Why bother? Was it so difficult to come up with an original series about a lady attorney? Is just to hook on to a name that might resonate with some TV viewers?
In a word, yes. The network viewership levels are so low, they look for anything that is either cheap or has name recognition. It's why you get umpteen versions of NCIS or Law & Order, and all the remakes and tons of game shows/reality shows. They don't want to risk a lot of money on something new and unproven, because they (the networks) aren't the cash cows they once were.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

It's another Saturday night coming and broadcast TV in the San Francisco area is overrun by sports.
It did just dawn on me, live sports where 8 PM Eastern is Prime Time, just like TCM. 5 PM my time.
There is one channel with news from 6-6:30 PM, then nothing until 8 PM.
Everyone wants a piece of the sports pie.
It makes sense that broadcast TV is in a decline. Kind of like radio.
People want to watch it now.
In my opinion, streaming is making a mess of things.
The streamers want to keep their own material.
Hulu/ABC. Peacock/NBC. Paramount+/CBS. Not sure about Fox.
I grew up with cable TV, as a viewer and an employee.
I have a Roku attached to my PC's HDMI input.
My mother of 89 would go nuts with streaming. I go nuts with streaming.
I can save money on cable TV by going to the cheapest plan but can't keep TCM.
When Matlock does show up, I will watch it on a Saturday night when all the sports are on.
I suppose CBS has cable on-demand programs and not just Paramount+.
Nothing can replace Ben Matlock and I still watch it.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

txfilmfan wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 11:17 pm
jameselliot wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 11:05 pm Why bother? Was it so difficult to come up with an original series about a lady attorney? Is just to hook on to a name that might resonate with some TV viewers?
In a word, yes. The network viewership levels are so low, they look for anything that is either cheap or has name recognition. It's why you get umpteen versions of NCIS or Law & Order, and all the remakes and tons of game shows/reality shows. They don't want to risk a lot of money on something new and unproven, because they (the networks) aren't the cash cows they once were.
Right, the Kathy Bates MATLOCK series is technically a new show about an elderly female attorney coming out of retirement who happens to have the same surname as an attorney from an old TV series.

So in essence, it is an original series, but due to the current network television landscape, a familiar name is being used to create interest.
But it's actually more creative than the usual remakes or iterations of existing series (a la NCIS and LAW & ORDER).
This intentional Intertextuality is not something often seen in media marketed for a mainstream audience.
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

txfilmfan wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 11:17 pm

I can't watch these reboots: Magnum, Quantum Leap, Hawaii 5-0, MacGyver, etc. They're terrible.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

jameselliot wrote: November 5th, 2023, 11:20 pm I can't watch these reboots: Magnum, Quantum Leap, Hawaii 5-0, MacGyver, etc. They're terrible.
I think it's because in many reboots the actors are doing impersonations of the original actors & not making the charactors their own.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

TikiSoo wrote: November 6th, 2023, 6:48 am
jameselliot wrote: November 5th, 2023, 11:20 pm I can't watch these reboots: Magnum, Quantum Leap, Hawaii 5-0, MacGyver, etc. They're terrible.
I think it's because in many reboots the actors are doing impersonations of the original actors & not making the charactors their own.
Don't agree with that for the new Quantum Leap. New characters with connections and homage to the original series. Original focused on the leaps with Sam & Al, but the new one adds characters & story lines for the support team as well. Really liked the first season, but the current one not quite to that level yet to me.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

TikiSoo wrote: November 6th, 2023, 6:48 am
I don't know Quantum Leap or MacGyver at all, old or new.
The original Magnum and Hawaii 5-0 were so good, I can't imagine a newer version being better. Haven't seen either one of those either.
I know the original Matlock REALLY well.
The new one looks, as I said before, more like Boston Legal.
I have never seen Mrs. Columbo and am a little curious to see the old reruns.
I kind of like Columbo.
My TV time machine is stuck in the 20th Century.
I still complain about sports. Tonight, Monday Night Football is on ESPN, ESPN 2.
Why is it also on ABC?!
Maybe this is connected to the continuing strike, or something that will continue.
Matlock could not air on Saturday night, because of sports.
I find it humorous that Yellowstone is holding down the fort until Matlock can take over.