I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Bronxgirl48

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I have not yet recovered from Shelley Winters in BLOODY MAMA.

To her sons: "Who is going to sleep with me tonight?"

Asks Pat Hingle for sex.

"I told my boys just to rob banks and not get into any trouble"

And this isn't even the half of it.....
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 7th, 2023, 5:39 pm I have not yet recovered from Shelley Winters in BLOODY MAMA.

Asks Pat Hingle for sex.

How did I miss seeing this film????? :D
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

DEAR HEART (1965) I'm starting to love this movie. Image

KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

I've always loved Dear Heart. Sweet and romantic. Love the opening and the closing at Penn Station, love the song. I was a teen when the film was released, the Henry Mancini title song was played constantly on the radio , didnt care about the song then but started to love the song later. Dear Heart is a charming film, the great Geraldine Page was endearing and perfect as Evie, so glad TCM shows Dear Heart.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Only The Valiant (1951) Youtube-6/10

Post Civil War, an army captain (Gregory Peck) is unjustly blamed for the death of another officer, he then has to lead a group of soldiers who despise him on a patrol against the Apaches.

A pretty good western with an outstanding cast of character actors as the soldiers. Ward Bond is an Irish corporal who tries sneak whiskey in his canteen. Lon Chaney Jr. (he's the reason I wanted to see this) has a scene stealing role as a crazy bearded Arab who attacks Peck before the mission even begins. Neville Brand is a bitter sergeant who blames Peck for not getting a promotion. Former child star Terry Kilburn (Tiny Tim in the 1938 A Christmas Carol) is all grown up as a greenhorn trooper. Sexy blonde Barbara Payton is Peck's love interest, she appeared with Chaney in another 1951 film Bride Of The Gorilla.

This is a bit slow moving and has some dull spots but there are some surprisingly brutal and violent scenes toward the end.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

kingrat wrote: November 7th, 2023, 11:41 pm Absolutely not a fan of Mario. Though I don't find him creepy, like Barry Fitzgerald or James Corden.
"Good, except for JAMES CORDEN. He ruins everything."
- my seven year old niece in response to my asking "how was INTO THE WOODS?"
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

The Death Kiss (1932) What a nice surprise! The set up: Fictional Tonart Studio is filming a crime picture, called … The Death Kiss. In the final scene, the leading man (whom no one likes), gets shot after being kissed by the chic leading lady, (Adrienne Ames). The director yells “cut!”, but the poor fellow doesn’t get up. It turns out he’s been murdered. This clever plot device kickstarts the movie, and the movie within the movie, a fun Agatha Christie-style whodunnit. The acting is good, particularly David Manners as a budding crime writer better at sleuthing than the police. The monochrome production features several flashes of color. Finally, it reunites Dracula alumni Bela Lugosi and Edward Van Sloan.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Cinemaspeak59 wrote: November 8th, 2023, 12:58 pm The Death Kiss (1932) What a nice surprise! The set up: Fictional Tonart Studio is filming a crime picture, called … The Death Kiss. In the final scene, the leading man (whom no one likes), gets shot after being kissed by the chic leading lady, (Adrienne Ames). The director yells “cut!”, but the poor fellow doesn’t get up. It turns out he’s been murdered. This clever plot device kickstarts the movie, and the movie within the movie, a fun Agatha Christie-style whodunnit. The acting is good, particularly David Manners as a budding crime writer better at sleuthing than the police. The monochrome production features several flashes of color. Finally, it reunites Dracula alumni Bela Lugosi and Edward Van Sloan.
I did not know this film existed until I read PAULINE KAEL'S SCATHING REVIEW OF IT in one of her books, and then I immediately sought it out and watched it.

i recall being verrry disappointed after a dazzling and very clever opening scene; I also recall LUGOSI being almost shoehorned into it and having not much screen time.

Glad you liked it though, I might check it out again and see if the second time is the charm.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: November 7th, 2023, 5:52 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 7th, 2023, 5:39 pm I have not yet recovered from Shelley Winters in BLOODY MAMA.

Asks Pat Hingle for sex.

lol, it's on rotation at ScreenPix and Flix if you get those channels.

Shelley plays the infamous Ma Barker as only she can!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 8th, 2023, 2:30 pm
Hibi wrote: November 7th, 2023, 5:52 pm

Asks Pat Hingle for sex.

lol, it's on rotation at ScreenPix and Flix if you get those channels.

Sadly, I don't! I remember this film playing the drive in circuit when it was released...

Shelley plays the infamous Ma Barker as only she can!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Darn, too bad, Hibi. Maybe TCM will run a Shelley Winters Day and include it!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 8th, 2023, 3:36 pm Darn, too bad, Hibi. Maybe TCM will run a Shelley Winters Day and include it!
I think it turned up on TCM Underground once, but for some reason, I didn't catch it then.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Cinemaspeak59 wrote: November 8th, 2023, 12:58 pm The Death Kiss (1932) What a nice surprise! The set up: Fictional Tonart Studio is filming a crime picture, called … The Death Kiss. In the final scene, the leading man (whom no one likes), gets shot after being kissed by the chic leading lady, (Adrienne Ames). The director yells “cut!”, but the poor fellow doesn’t get up. It turns out he’s been murdered. This clever plot device kickstarts the movie, and the movie within the movie, a fun Agatha Christie-style whodunnit. The acting is good, particularly David Manners as a budding crime writer better at sleuthing than the police. The monochrome production features several flashes of color. Finally, it reunites Dracula alumni Bela Lugosi and Edward Van Sloan.
I like this movie! It is easy to watch and the characters are fun.

I have watched it and: The Riverside Murder (1935) as a sort of double feature when I want light-hearted murders as background.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

It’s not easy explaining SHELLEY WINTERS to the kids today.

(of course, now that I think about it, it was pretty hard to explain her during her prime too.)