MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Debbie and Dick are wonderful together, and there are a few rather provocative lines of dialogue.
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 5th, 2023, 6:18 pm Debbie and Dick are wonderful together, and there are a few rather provocative lines of dialogue.
It also gives Dick a nice opportunity to return to his musical roots in this stylized number with both Debbie and Anne. The set design is also a good example of the mid-century design elements you were talking about, though Dick Powell in that outfit reminds me of Pee Wee's Playhouse more than anything else.

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 5th, 2023, 6:18 pm Debbie and Dick are wonderful together, and there are a few rather provocative lines of dialogue.
SPOILER Alert for Susan Sleep Here:

Dick Powell was 28 years older than Debbie Reynolds. As the title implies, the film starts out that it would be out-there (if not predatory), for such a much older man to be interested in a much younger woman, unless the attraction was strictly limited to a sexual fling. The Powell character gets this and treats her according, UNTIL,,,,, (Reynolds was 21\22 when making the film).

Yea, Hollywood has done this multiple times, E.g. Bogie \ Hepburn difference in Sabrina was 29 years, but I wouldn't call any of these pairing as being wonderful together.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I have to frankly admit Dick really shows his age in that dream ballet more than anywhere else in the movie.

Cary Grant was "paired" with Shirley Temple (who ironically in 1947 was already an old married woman IRL) in THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER. He was about 44 at that time and Mrs. John Agar 19.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

PADDY CHAYEFSKY ALERT TOMORROW!!! (Wednesday, December 6th)

Fab line-up!!!

If you can only watch one, I implore you guys not to miss THE GODDESS!!! Kim Stanley in all her Actor's Studio glory playing Marilyn Monroe!!! I just love this movie. Haven't seen it in some time but am reeling with delight, relishing the revisit!!!

Rounding out the rest we've got MARTY, THE BACHELOR PARTY and THE CATERED AFFAIR. Honestly every one is a winner!!! (THE GODDESS is in a class by itself, lol)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Lloyd Bridges in THE GODDESS is "Dutch", a thinly disguised Joe DiMaggio.

Adding to the Actor's Studio flavor there is also Steven Hill as Kim's ex-husband who enjoys giving philosophical soliloquys.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

"Dutch, do you love me? Do you love me, Dutch? Do you, Dutch? Do you love me??"

Honestly if you miss this movie you will have nobody to blame but YOURSELF!!!

Ironically of course Monroe left Hollywood for a time to take classes at the Actor's Studio. But I wonder what she thought of THE GODDESS, made when she was still alive and already a legend, in 1958. I mean, Kim Stanley in all her Method twitchy-ness might not have been the best choice to play Marilyn.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 5th, 2023, 7:00 pm I have to frankly admit Dick really shows his age in that dream ballet more than anywhere else in the movie.

Cary Grant was "paired" with Shirley Temple (who ironically in 1947 was already an old married woman IRL) in THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER. He was about 44 at that time and Mrs. John Agar 19.
Grant was not paired with Temple. That was a plot twist as imposed by the judge, (Loy), Temple's sister in order to get Temple over her crush over Grant. The script made it very clear that if Grant had designs on Temple (who was a senior in High School), that would be beyond creepy (i.e. a crime which the DA made clear).

Again, it isn't the looks of the man, per se, but more due to the vast age difference, such a young woman would have nothing to offer to a mature, sophisticated man, beyond sex. E.g. what would they talk about after having sex?
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

kingrat wrote: December 5th, 2023, 11:53 pm Kim Stanley created the role on Broadway that Marilyn Monroe played in BUS STOP, so it isn't entirely unreasonable for her to play the Marilyn character in THE GODDESS. Unfortunately, she has minimal sex appeal.
And I think in a movie even loosely based on MM's unhappiness, the charactor having minimal sex appeal would be a good portrayal choice. Not unlike Mae West, the sexpot screen image is a fantasy and isn't even close to a real person.

I'm sorry I missed this, I'm a big Chayefsky fan.
Instead I've got THE HOSPITAL '71 set to record- something I've never seen & frankly, a comedy movie is much more needed to endure the upcoming "holiday" season than a downer.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 5th, 2023, 7:23 pm PADDY CHAYEFSKY ALERT TOMORROW!!! (Wednesday, December 6th)

Fab line-up!!!

If you can only watch one, I implore you guys not to miss THE GODDESS!!! Kim Stanley in all her Actor's Studio glory playing Marilyn Monroe!!! I just love this movie. Haven't seen it in some time but am reeling with delight, relishing the revisit!!!

Rounding out the rest we've got MARTY, THE BACHELOR PARTY and THE CATERED AFFAIR. Honestly every one is a winner!!! (THE GODDESS is in a class by itself, lol)
I haven't seen Bachelor Party in a long time. I may watch that.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 5th, 2023, 8:53 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 5th, 2023, 7:00 pm I have to frankly admit Dick really shows his age in that dream ballet more than anywhere else in the movie.

Grant was not paired with Temple. That was a plot twist as imposed by the judge, (Loy), Temple's sister in order to get Temple over her crush over Grant. The script made it very clear that if Grant had designs on Temple (who was a senior in High School), that would be beyond creepy (i.e. a crime which the DA made clear).

Again, it isn't the looks of the man, per se, but more due to the vast age difference, such a young woman would have nothing to offer to a mature, sophisticated man, beyond sex. E.g. what would they talk about after having sex?

I think the bigger belief hurdle in the film is Myrna Loy having a sister as young as Temple when she was actually old enough to be Temple's mother! Is there any mention of them being step or half sisters in the film? (haven't seen it in a long time).
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 5th, 2023, 7:39 pm "Dutch, do you love me? Do you love me, Dutch? Do you, Dutch? Do you love me??"

Honestly if you miss this movie you will have nobody to blame but YOURSELF!!!

Ironically of course Monroe left Hollywood for a time to take classes at the Actor's Studio. But I wonder what she thought of THE GODDESS, made when she was still alive and already a legend, in 1958. I mean, Kim Stanley in all her Method twitchy-ness might not have been the best choice to play Marilyn.
I haven't seen the film in many years, but it's such a downer, not sure I want to get even more down in the Christmas season. I may record it for future viewing! I bet Stanley enjoyed getting back at Monroe for taking Bus Stop away from her in playing this not so thinly disguised character. LOL.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

TikiSoo wrote: December 6th, 2023, 8:26 am
kingrat wrote: December 5th, 2023, 11:53 pm Kim Stanley created the role on Broadway that Marilyn Monroe played in BUS STOP, so it isn't entirely unreasonable for her to play the Marilyn character in THE GODDESS. Unfortunately, she has minimal sex appeal.
And I think in a movie even loosely based on MM's unhappiness, the charactor having minimal sex appeal would be a good portrayal choice. Not unlike Mae West, the sexpot screen image is a fantasy and isn't even close to a real person.

I'm sorry I missed this, I'm a big Chayefsky fan.
Instead I've got THE HOSPITAL '71 set to record- something I've never seen & frankly, a comedy movie is much more needed to endure the upcoming "holiday" season than a downer.
You haven't missed anything! That's the line up for tonight.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 5th, 2023, 8:53 pm

Yes I know it was a plot twist -- that's why I put the word "paired" in quotation marks. Sorry if this wasn't made clear by me.

Speaking of this subject, I just saw PRETTY BABY after many years, where a 12 year old Brooke Shields is definitely paired (no quotation marks here) with Keith Carradine. We are not told his character's age but he looks "only" about 30. I won't give spoilers but will say that the ending almost gives permission for the audience (including myself) to have ambivalent feelings about where Violet (Shields) eventually ends up.