For PEEBS: "The WANTERS"

Dargo

Re: For PEEBS: "The WANTERS"

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 27th, 2023, 1:23 pm Note that many fine actors lived out their final days at this place:

Bud Abbott, Mary Astor, Virgina Bruce, Mae Clarke, Wendell Corey, Yvonne De Carlo (and that is just a few from A to D!).
Any truth to the humor that Mae Clarke ironically enough was found dead in her room after choking on a slice of grapefruit?

OR, that Wendell Corey died from a broken heart there because he never got the girl and lived happily ever after in any picture he was ever in?

(...sorry, couldn't resist)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 27th, 2023, 1:23 pm Note that many fine actors lived out their final days at this place:

Bud Abbott, Mary Astor, Virgina Bruce, Mae Clarke, Wendell Corey, Yvonne De Carlo (and that is just a few from A to D!).
I didn't know that about Yvonne De Carlo.
But she wouldn't have received any residuals from the syndicated airings of THE MUNSTERS based on the compensation terms in the typical contract in the 1960s for an actor in a television series.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: November 27th, 2023, 3:04 pm

But she wouldn't have received any residuals from the syndicated airings of THE MUNSTERS based on the compensation terms in the typical contract in the 1960s for an actor in a television series.
Uh-huh, that's true alright, Holden. The days of sitcom stars gettin' a million bucks per episode AND these sweet residual deals they get today would be far off in the future, alright.

And so NOW, do ya wanna hear how Yvonne died there? Well, I'm gonna tell ya anyway here.

Yvonne, who once proudly stated the following during a 1976 interview...

"I'm all for men and I think they ought to stay up there and be the bosses, and have women wait on them hand and foot and put their slippers on and hand them the pipe and serve seven-course meals."

...ironically enough AGAIN, died the ONE day at the Motion Picture & Television Country House & Hospital when there were only male attendants scheduled to work that day. And, when it was apparent she was near the end, she refused to have any of them call for or assist her in the medical aid she needed!

(...told ya it was "ironic" here, now didn't I?!...okay sure, maybe not TRUE, except for her quote that is, but "ironic" anyway, RIGHT?!) ;)
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 26th, 2023, 2:52 pm Hey, NoShear; Don't worry, I'm aware of what is going on and will not take the bait this time! Peeps is very knowledgeable with regards to pre-codes, and I have always enjoyed discussions with them.

Did I ever tell you that I knew the great-niece of Norma? This gal was from Scotland and lived in So Cal. Sadly she didn't know anything about Norma since she was raised in Scotland by family that had no direct contact with Norma once she came to the USA.
Cool story, jamesjazzguitar: Thanks for sharing!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Dargo wrote: November 27th, 2023, 3:37 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: November 27th, 2023, 3:04 pm

Uh-huh, that's true alright, Holden. The days of sitcom stars gettin' a million bucks per episode AND these sweet residual deals they get today would be far off in the future, alright.

And so NOW, do ya wanna hear how Yvonne died there? Well, I'm gonna tell ya anyway here.

Yvonne, who once proudly stated the following during a 1976 interview...

"I'm all for men and I think they ought to stay up there and be the bosses, and have women wait on them hand and foot and put their slippers on and hand them the pipe and serve seven-course meals."

...ironically enough AGAIN, died the ONE day at the Motion Picture & Television Country House & Hospital when there were only male attendants scheduled to work that day. And, when it was apparent she was near the end, she refused to have any of them call for or assist her in the medical aid she needed!

(...told ya it was "ironic" here, now didn't I?!...okay sure, maybe not TRUE, except for her quote that is, but "ironic" anyway, RIGHT?!) ;)
Dargo, that interview where Yvonne De Carlo said she thought men should "be the bosses and have women wait on them hand and foot" was broadcast on the CBC.
She did add some stipulations though: "as long as they open the door, support the woman, and do their duty in the bedroom."

Here's a clip from that interview:

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 4th, 2023, 1:10 am
Dargo, that interview where Yvonne De Carlo said she thought men should "be the bosses and have women wait on them hand and foot" was broadcast on the CBC.
She did add some stipulations though: "as long as they open the door, support the woman, and do their duty in the bedroom."

Here's a clip from that interview:

Sound like Yvonne and Phyllis Schlafly (if you remember her) would've been fast friends with shared and similar views about this sort of thing, huh.
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 26th, 2023, 2:52 pm Hey, NoShear; Don't worry, I'm aware of what is going on and will not take the bait this time! Peeps is very knowledgeable with regards to pre-codes, and I have always enjoyed discussions with them.

Did I ever tell you that I knew the great-niece of Norma? This gal was from Scotland and lived in So Cal. Sadly she didn't know anything about Norma since she was raised in Scotland by family that had no direct contact with Norma once she came to the USA.
I was thinking about your post here, jamesjazzguitar, and have been meaning to mention Barbara Hawks: To my knowledge the daughter of Howard Hawks and Athole Shearer is the oldest living link to Norma Shearer.