MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
TikiSoo

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by TikiSoo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 17th, 2023, 5:25 pm It's refreshing to see a comedy (a genre that is historically overlooked by the movie industry when they give out their awards) getting acknowledged for a job well done.
Comedy is actually harder to get right. BARBIE does it in spades, with the laughs often coming at unexpected moments.
Thank you Holden for defending what you liked about the movie, this divide of reactions/opinions is what makes this board & all it's members GREAT!
Not everyone has to like/dislike the same things.
Can't wait to see it for myself!
I'll either enjoy it, think it's clever or find it an insipid eye roller.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: December 17th, 2023, 9:36 am
TikiSoo wrote: December 16th, 2023, 9:34 am We screened MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET as our season closer. As ticket taker, I always ask if they have seen the movie before. This was the first time every single attendee had, but all interjected they love the movie & haven't seen it in a "long" time.

The entire room was sucked into the story, many scenes you could hear a pin drop, everyone laughed in the right places. It was communal movie watching at it's BEST.

I never saw Miracle in a theater, but would like to some day. I am glad that the audience enjoyed it.

I once saw Meet Me In St Louis in a theater a few years ago. The younger crowd there did not seem to get it, the places where they laughed the loudest were Margaret O'Brien's crying scenes.
Gee, talk about missing the musical cues....
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Swithin wrote: December 16th, 2023, 5:26 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 16th, 2023, 5:08 pm But as long as I've lived here in humid Boca Raton (twenty years) I have never refrigerated my paprika or other spices. So far, no insects or spoilage.
Boca Raton is indeed humid! My father lived there. I inherited his apartment, but I don't like hot weather.

Do you do the snowbird routine? It's 70 degrees right now and we are FREEZING!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Anyone else loving that hilariously amateurish short TCM has been running this holiday season in between the feature presentations? I am so in love with SANTA IN ANIMAL LAND. The puppets include doggie, kitty, birdie, and either a frog or fish (can't tell), plus a rather demonic looking "Mr. Santa Claus" as he is called. They all sound drunk.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

I haven't seen that one, but I did see Judy Garland singing "Silent Night" in what feels like a scene pulled from a movie since the short doesn't have any credits.

Anyone know what movie it's from?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I could be wrong but I think the Garland short was just an MGM Christmas "promo" for the studio and not from any film she was in.

Be on the lookout for SANTA IN ANIMAL LAND. As far as I'm concerned it's priceless.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 21st, 2023, 4:48 pm I could be wrong but I think the Garland short was just an MGM Christmas "promo" for the studio and not from any film she was in.

Be on the lookout for SANTA IN ANIMAL LAND. As far as I'm concerned it's priceless.
I saw one last night where two kids get whisked off to Santa's mid-century modern living room on Christmas Eve via his helicopter. I'd think Santa was a bit too busy for all this. He should be delivering presents somewhere at that time, as it's been Christmas for a few hours somewhere already, but really we all know Santa is just a North American thing, right? Instead, he proceeds to give them a tour of the toy "factory/warehouse", which is really just a mid-century department store in Anywhere USA.

I've never figured out what was the intended market for these cheapo productions? Theaters, schools, TV filler?
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 16th, 2023, 5:08 pm But as long as I've lived here in humid Boca Raton (twenty years) I have never refrigerated my paprika or other spices. So far, no insects or spoilage.
Boca Raton is indeed humid! My father lived there. I inherited his apartment, but I don't like hot weather.
No, I sold it as soon as I could. It was a nice apartment. My aunt said, "Why don't you keep it, you may want to retire down here?" I replied, "Are you mad?" My father loved it, as many do, but Florida is not for me.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

txfilmfan wrote: December 21st, 2023, 5:08 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 21st, 2023, 4:48 pm I could be wrong but I think the Garland short was just an MGM Christmas "promo" for the studio and not from any film she was in.

I saw one last night where two kids get whisked off to Santa's mid-century modern living room on Christmas Eve via his helicopter. I'd think Santa was a bit too busy for all this. He should be delivering presents somewhere at that time, as it's been Christmas for a few hours somewhere already, but really we all know Santa is just a North American thing, right? Instead, he proceeds to give them a tour of the toy "factory/warehouse", which is really just a mid-century department store in Anywhere USA.

I've never figured out what was the intended market for these cheapo productions? Theaters, schools, TV filler?

I saw that one. Really bad.

Probably for the three markets you mention.

Unfortunately the only way not to miss SANTA IN ANIMAL LAND (which I've seen several times) is to continually watch TCM's feature presentations from now until Christmas which I must inform you will also include another Andy Hardy airing and other perennial rerun holiday favorites of the channel. Whether this is a good thing or not is purely subjective, lol.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

TCM just aired....

one viewers comment
"The comments calling this terrifying and nightmare fuel crack me up. I don’t see it that way at all. I love it. I think it’s strange looking, uniquely charming and campy. Entertaining, but not scary. A lot better than a lot of the computer animation you see these days.
Now Polar Express, that’s scary."

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

:smiley_disco:
Last edited by ziggy6708a on December 21st, 2023, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Swithin wrote: December 21st, 2023, 5:22 pm
No, I sold it as soon as I could. It was a nice apartment. My aunt said, "Why don't you keep it, you may want to retire down here?" I replied, "Are you mad?" My father loved it, as many do, but Florida is not for me.

South Florida is basically appreciated in January, February, March and April but of course not by everyone. I have to admit that the first couple of years I longed for a true autumn but after 20 years I've gotten used to heat. Not humidity mind you, just the warmth and languidity of a subtropical climate. It also helps that I do enjoy a nautical, coastal atmosphere. (I once thought about moving to Southern Maine, and at one point subscribed to Down East magazine)
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

ziggy6708a wrote: December 21st, 2023, 5:35 pm TCM just aired....

one viewers comment
"The comments calling this terrifying and nightmare fuel crack me up. I don’t see it that way at all. I love it. I think it’s strange looking, uniquely charming and campy. Entertaining, but not scary. A lot better than a lot of the computer animation you see these days.
Now Polar Express, that’s scary."

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

:smiley_disco:
Noticed in the restoration credits Ray Faiola's name. He was a semi-frequent poster on the old TCM boards.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 21st, 2023, 3:47 pm Anyone else loving that hilariously amateurish short TCM has been running this holiday season in between the feature presentations? I am so in love with SANTA IN ANIMAL LAND. The puppets include doggie, kitty, birdie, and either a frog or fish (can't tell), plus a rather demonic looking "Mr. Santa Claus" as he is called. They all sound drunk.
"How big is Santa Claus anyway?"

Oh, very big. Enormous!"
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

To all here who celebrate it, Merry Christmas!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Marylin Monroe's skirt being blown by the breeze from the subway in THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH is one of the most iconic cinematic images of all-time, and rightly so.

But the images from the movie that I most look forward to seeing each time I watch it are the one of Marylin Monroe from the toothpaste commercial in one of Tom Ewell's character's fantasies and the final shot of her in the window wearing the bath robe.