Do You Know Me?

jdb1

Do You Know Me?

Post by jdb1 »

Remember this game from the Other Place?

I'll start you off with an easy one:

Do you know me?

I led a very adventurous and knockabout life before I became an actor. After attending college for a while to study engineering, I began to travel the world. I served in WWI, where I was wounded, the result of which helped me when I got into the movies.

Throughout my very long and very successful career, I rarely played a character of my own age, until I started acting in television. When I was young, I had an interest in a Latin American plantation and made a lot of money, which I invested in real estate in the up and coming area of Southern California. Unfortunately for me, I lost most of my money the stock market crash. In order to make ends meet, I took work as an extra in the movies, soon got speaking roles, and soon after that became a star.

I was the recipient of a "first" from my peers, and I hold a record in that regard that has yet to be broken.

My appearance and my manner of speaking have become iconic, and I am still imitated today, even though the modern generation likely doesn't even know who is being imitated.

Who am I?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

C'mon folks, it's Monday morning. Put on those thinking caps.

Given my some of my previous posts on this new site, this one should be easy for you.

Here's more:

It was decades before I got to play characters of my actual age.

Although I spoke in the distinct accent of my native US region, I mostly played characters of very different speech patterns who were generally rural and unschooled. However, my underlying native way of speaking often poked through, but you'd have to know where I was born to really pick up on it.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

More clues:

The way I walked on my most successful TV show was often parodied by comedians. Don't know why they wanted to make fun of an old man.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

jdb1 wrote:More clues:

The way I walked on my most successful TV show was often parodied by comedians. Don't know why they wanted to make fun of an old man.

Walter Brennan. :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ken123 wrote:
jdb1 wrote:More clues:

Walter Brennan. :wink:
Ding! Ding! Ding! Give that man a cee-gar. You are correct, by cracky!

Let's not be shy, now. Give us one to work on. It doesn't have to be obscure or "arty."
Moraldo Rubini

First Brennan

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Judith said of Walter Brennan:
I was the recipient of a "first" from my peers, and I hold a record in that regard that has yet to be broken.
What was the "first"? Was it the first Best Supporting Oscar? And that he won three times?
jdb1

Re: First Brennan

Post by jdb1 »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:Judith said of Walter Brennan:
What was the "first"? Was it the first Best Supporting Oscar? And that he won three times?
Yes, that's right. Brennan was the first winner in the newly established Best Supporting Actor category (Come and Get It-1936), and he went on to win two more (Kentucky in 1938, and The Westerner in 1940).
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Try this one:

I wore exotic costumes in every film I made, but one of my favorite outfits was that of a U.S. airman as I served in WWII. I was especially proud to serve my adopted country.

I had a short life, but a long career, since I made my first movie when still a boy. I was identified for many years thereafter by the title of that first film (I used my real name in that movie).

My name is used by a strongman these days - he also wears a very theatrical costume in his "performances."

Who am I?
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Who is Sabu Dastagir, Alex?
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

cinemalover wrote:Who is Sabu Dastagir, Alex?
You are correct, Sir!

Care to make a contribution?
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I'll be away from a computer for the next few hours. I'll give it a shot this evening (left-coast evening that is).

Thanks for providing some fun.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Who am I?

I graduated High School in Hawaii. I attended USC on an athletic scholarship. Upon graduation I gave myself one year to be successful in acting or I vowed to go to Law School. I appeared in over 100 movies and had my own television show.

I am probably best remembered for my work in serials. My given name at birth was Clarence. Who am I?
Chris

ken123

Post by ken123 »

cinemalover wrote:Who am I?

I graduated High School in Hawaii. I attended USC on an athletic scholarship. Upon graduation I gave myself one year to be successful in acting or I vowed to go to Law School. I appeared in over 100 movies and had my own television show.

I am probably best remembered for my work in serials. My given name at birth was Clarence. Who am I?

" Buster " Crabbe of Flash Gordon fame. :wink:
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

You've got it, Ken. Nice job. I proudly pass the baton to you.
Chris

ken123

Who Am I ?

Post by ken123 »

I was born in Ireland and played " Wild Bill " Donovan in a Warner Bros. film. I played opposite Bette Davis, Myrna Loy, and Barbara Stanwyck in a famous pre - code film. My wives included Ann Sheridan and Ruth Chatterton. :wink: