I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Bronxgirl48

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Allhallowsday wrote: January 6th, 2024, 12:25 pm CROSSING DELANCEY (1988) Again.

One thing I never understand -- why didn't Izzy use some of the $500 Bubbe gave her to purchase that evening dress? Instead, she tells a co-worker who asks what's in the bag "My lunch for the next three months".

What is Izzy saving the money for anyway? She's got a rent-controlled apartment "people would die for"
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 8th, 2024, 7:39 pm ...One thing I never understand -- why didn't Izzy use some of the $500 Bubbe gave her to purchase that evening dress? Instead, she tells a co-worker who asks what's in the bag "My lunch for the next three months".

What is Izzy saving the money for anyway? She's got a rent-controlled apartment "people would die for"
Saving? She'll be buying her lunch. One thing I will point out: Izzy is a liar.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Ha!

But she certainly didn't splurge with her birthday dinner. (although I can personally attest that Papaya King frankfurters were terrific. 50 cents back in the day (1980's) Two of those dogs slathered with mustard and topped with loads of sauerkraut, washed down with their signature papaya drink, was New Yawk food of the gods.

But then of course that job at New Day Bookshop certainly didn't pay much.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 8th, 2024, 9:38 pm Ha!

But she certainly didn't splurge with her birthday dinner. (although I can personally attest that Papaya King frankfurters were terrific. 50 cents back in the day (1980's) Two of those dogs slathered with mustard and topped with loads of sauerkraut, washed down with their signature papaya drink, was New Yawk food of the gods.

A favorite movie moment with lie:

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I am personally obsessed with pickles and believe they are not only delicious and satisfying, but good for one's health.

So of course I am in love with Peter Riegert as Sam.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Allhallowsday wrote: January 8th, 2024, 9:58 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 8th, 2024, 9:38 pm Ha!

A favorite movie moment with lie:

The women in the center of the photo is Paula Laurance, playing Diva and singing "Some Enchanted Evening." She was a dear friend. I miss her very much. (But I've never seen the movie!)

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Swithin, you know a lot of fascinating people!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

🎶”ees verry fancee on ol’ Delancey Strēt u knooooooooooooow”🎶
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

🎶🎶🎶”UndtE tell me VHAT STRĒT KOMPARES TO MOTTE STRĒT eine JULYYYYYYyyyyy?”
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

so, we were talking about DISNEY and ANIMATION and SEEING MOVIES IN THE THEATER IN THE 1980's and I took a wild hair with some Christmas loot and bought FANTASIA (1941) on amazon prime (note- I would have rented it, but you can't rent it, you can only buy it. I may have been high when this decision was made.)

I first saw FANTASIA on a BIG SCREEN re-release sometime around 1983, and my Mother stressed that it was a "very big deal." The strongest memories I have are of the NIGHT ON BALD MOUNTAIN sequence because DUH, I also remember liking the SORCERER'S APPRENTICE SEQUENCE and I really distinctly recall that the audience just WENT NUTS with LAUGHTER for the ALLIGATOR and HIPPO ballet sequence, which I personally didn't get it AT ALL.

in fact, as far as the film itself went [SETTING THE NIGHT ON BALD MOUNTAIN SEQUENCE (makes the "HAIL SATAN" hand symbol,) BY THE SIDE], 6 year old me was distinctly tepid towards the rest of it.

Now that I am older, I can see why the audience enjoyed THE CROCODILE/HIPPO Ballet scene so much, not only is it funny, but it's something of a breath of fresh air from a lot of crushing, if well-crafted pretension that comes across a little bit like a well-intentioned (but probably accurate) history lesson designed specifically to piss of the religious right (which I also can't get mad at.)

40 years later and I'm still kinda tepid towards a lot of it- although as an extremely amateur illustrator myself, I get the artistry and the effort, and I will always salute hand-drawn animation- but without a cohesive plot or something HUMAN to really tie it together, I can see how this movie event went over like a lead brick back in 1941 and remained the "AMY CARTER" of all of WALT'S CINEMATIC CHILDREN.]

also, the scene with THE CENTAURS and THE CHERUBS even with the RACIST BITS REMOVED is still REALLY REALLY REAAAAAAAALLY EFFIN WEIRD.

and also, the opening sequence set to TOCCATA AND FUGUE IN D MINOR is the weakest of the sequences by far

and also, while they were I am sure necessitated by the times, the scenes of THE ORCHESTRA WARMING UP and (oh MY GOD) THE INTERMISSION just stop the film cold- I can't say if they stopped it cold back in 1941 and on all the re-releases or not, but I got really tired of listening to the "narrator" in between the segments as well.
Last edited by Lorna on January 9th, 2024, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I really do reiterate that if the whole film had THE ENERGY and THE ARTISTRY and TOOK THE RISKS and made the INNOVATIONS that the NIGHT ON BALD MOUNTAIN SEQUENCE does, then it would be really, really REALLY something.

I know it is an odd choice to end the movie on, but it's so superlative among the 8 entries, it's not hard to see why the choice was made to include it last.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Allhallowsday wrote: January 8th, 2024, 1:50 pm SPOORLOOS (1988) I stayed up late to revisit this one. There's nothing like it. The Hollywood version is junk.

Great film. I have seen it several times now. I was asleep but woke up at about the 30 min, mark. Then I was totally riveted again. The villain was despicable but fascinating in how he could have such a double life. It looks like they borrowed a bit from Ted Bundy when he puts a fake cast on his arm.

The ending still provides a jolt.