SPOILERS!

KayFrancis

Re: SPOILERS!

Post by KayFrancis »

skimpole wrote: January 11th, 2024, 3:38 am
Swithin wrote: January 9th, 2024, 9:29 am

Anyway, my turn. The final scene takes place in a gas station in winter.
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg?
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Repeating skimpole's question

Anyway, my turn. The final scene takes place in a gas station in winter.
[/quote]

Sounds like The Umbrellas of Cherbourg?
[/quote]
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Thanks. I've seen THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG at least 3 or 4 times over the years so that last scene came to mind immediately.

Next : the final scene takes place in a museum with a few admiring a painting
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

That’s Ferris Buellers Day Off. I never even saw the film and I know that one.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Sorry, but that's not the film and Ferris doesn't end that way. You did mention a great film though.

Next clue - during the film, he's a struggling artist who paints a mural in a bar in exchange for being fed
laffite

Post by laffite »

The Portrait of Dorian Gray 1945

????
"Desire" (1936)
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Sorry, not Dorian and Dorian doesn't end in a museum.

Next : a scarf plays an important point in the plot
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Portrait of Jennie
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Thank you Swithin. Yes, Portrait of Jennie. Joseph Cotten, Jennifer Jones, Ethel Barrymore, Cecil Kellaway. Such a beautiful film. I read the Robert Nathan novel when I was a teen and watched the film on tv many times over the years.
Good work, Swithin, your thread
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: January 12th, 2024, 2:25 pm Portrait of Jennie
KayFrancis wrote: January 12th, 2024, 2:37 pm Thank you Swithin. Yes, Portrait of Jennie. Joseph Cotten, Jennifer Jones, Ethel Barrymore, Cecil Kellaway. Such a beautiful film. I read the Robert Nathan novel when I was a teen and watched the film on tv many times over the years.
Yeah, you're up next here, Swithin!

(...and THIS time, how about somethin' other than some obscure British flick I've never heard of here) ;)

LOL
Last edited by Dargo on January 12th, 2024, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Dargo, do me a favor , if you want to mention a film Swithin posted quote his post about that British film he used as a question, not mine. Portrait of Jennie is a very well known classic American film, your post might confuse some. Thanks, lol
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

KayFrancis wrote: January 12th, 2024, 2:59 pm Dargo, do me a favor , if you want to mention a film Swithin posted quote his post about that British film he used as a question, not mine. Portrait of Jennie is a very well known classic American film, your post might confuse some. Thanks, lol
How about if I go back and edit in a quote by Swithin in it?

(...that way he's SURE to see my little "request" up there!) ;)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

KayFrancis wrote: January 12th, 2024, 2:37 pm Thank you Swithin. Yes, Portrait of Jennie. Joseph Cotten, Jennifer Jones, Ethel Barrymore, Cecil Kellaway. Such a beautiful film. I read the Robert Nathan novel when I was a teen and watched the film on tv many times over the years.
Thanks Kay,

Portrait of Jennie was a regular on the old Million Dollar Movie on Channel 9, where I suspect you and I both saw many films for the first time!

Back soon with another clue, after I chastise that wicked Dargo, though!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: January 12th, 2024, 2:52 pm
Swithin wrote: January 12th, 2024, 2:25 pm Portrait of Jennie
Yeah, you're up next here, Swithin!

(...and THIS time, how about somethin' other than some obscure British flick I've never heard of here) ;)

LOL
You wicked Dargo! Many of the films used in this game have been totally unknown to me, but do you hear me kvetch about it? No, I enjoy the complexity of this game, even when the references are to films I haven't seen, and in some cases, have never heard of.

FYI, Cold Comfort Farm is not an obscure film. It features some of the great British stars -- Ian McKellen and Eileen Atkins, for example. That line I referenced -- "Something nasty in the woodshed" -- was so popular that more than one novel is named for it, and a piece of music as well. Cold Comfort Farm is number 57 on a list of the 100 Best Novels Written in English. (The Grapes of Wrath is number 65.)

Back later with the next one.