MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Detective Jim McLeod

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 13th, 2024, 10:24 pm Remember the Carvel birthday cakes? With that whale?

Who gets the titles of these submarine films mixed up -- UP PERISCOPE, RUN SILENT RUN DEEP and DESTINATION TOKYO?

I remember those Carvel commercials, Tom Carvel had the worst voice for a TV pitchman.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: January 14th, 2024, 9:12 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 13th, 2024, 10:24 pm Remember the Carvel birthday cakes? With that whale?

Who gets the titles of these submarine films mixed up -- UP PERISCOPE, RUN SILENT RUN DEEP and DESTINATION TOKYO?

I remember those Carvel commercials, Tom Carvel had the worst voice for a TV pitchman.
Couldn't have been any worse than the ambulance-chasing lawyer Larry H. Parker who has been all over the California airwaves for many years telling people he'll "fight for you".

(...THIS guy's nasally voice makes even Ben Mankiewicz's sound pleasantly resonant by comparison)
Detective Jim McLeod

here's a Tom Carvel commercial

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

During a recent viewing of HUSH . . . HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE, I think I discovered De Vol's first use of the musical stinger ("Oo-ee-ee-oooo!") that he would re-use in his scores over the years.
This sound is heard in the scene where Miriam Deering (Olivia de Havilland) discovers that her dress has been vandalized: "My dress. Somebody's slashed by dress."

De Vol would recycle this sound in his score for THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE, which like CHARLOTTE was directed by Robert Aldrich. The "oo-ee-ee-oooo!" punctuates the moment where Elsa Brinkmann steps into Lylah Clare's footprints in the sidewalk outside Grauman's Chinese Theatre and other dramatic moments in the movie.

And, of course, De Vol most famously used to the musical stinger in the Hawaii episodes of THE BRADY BUCH to underscore the tiki statue, found by Bobby at the construction site, that brought the Bradys so much bad luck. "It's tabu!"

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I think I discovered De Vol's first use of the musical stinger ("Oo-ee-ee-oooo!") that he would re-use in his scores over the years:

[/quote]

That is the sound you hear whenever I enter a room.

I have a question...if you fight for women's rights, you are called a Feminist.

What are you called if you fight for men's rights?

Detective Jim McLeod

TikiSoo wrote: January 15th, 2024, 10:32 am

I have a question...if you fight for women's rights, you are called a Feminist.

What are you called if you fight for men's rights?

[/quote]

CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 13th, 2024, 8:40 pm Oh God, who could sit through that Power of Film professor, lol? I kept nodding off.

For a hilarious take on this specific academic type, I encourage everyone to check out Paul Benedict as the NYU film teacher who screens THE GODFATHER for his students, in Andrew Bergman's very funny THE FRESHMAN.
I remember really liking The Freshman (one of only a few times I liked Marlon Brando), so I will have to check out that scene....
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 16th, 2024, 3:25 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 13th, 2024, 8:40 pm Oh God, who could sit through that Power of Film professor, lol? I kept nodding off.

For a hilarious take on this specific academic type, I encourage everyone to check out Paul Benedict as the NYU film teacher who screens THE GODFATHER for his students, in Andrew Bergman's very funny THE FRESHMAN.
I remember really liking The Freshman (one of only a few times I liked Marlon Brando), so I will have to check out that scene....
Here ya go...

Btw, when it comes to narcoleptic inducing teachers in movies, no one will of course ever top Ben Stein here...

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks! That movie looks interesting...did not recognize Paul Benedict until he started talking! Matthew Broderick, Penelope Ann Miller...just requested it from my library. Bonus Bruno Kirby's in it too!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

kingrat wrote: January 17th, 2024, 1:10 am My husband and I both enjoyed THE ENEMY BELOW, with Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens ideally cast as captains in this deadly chess match between an American destroyer and a German U-Boat. It's a little talky at first, but then it delivers on all the important matters. A solid film, with Dick Powell as director.

Alicia Malone correctly pointed out the importance of the sympathetic portrayal of the German captain. Alicia was wearing an interestingly draped green dress which unfortunately did not fit her well.
I also watched it again last night for maybe the fourth time ever. Yep, pretty good film which never seems to drag, and even during those scenes in which the two captains are waiting each other out.

And speaking of what Alicia said about the changing of the portayals of U-boat commanders...

It reminded me of a certain comedy routine I remember watching on TV years ago by some old standup comedian (it might have even been the very recently departed Shecky Greene who I remember doing it, but don't quote me on this) about this very thing. I remember the comedian saying something like:

"Ever notice how in those old WWII movies made during the war, the U-boat captain will say to his crew "Machine gun all the survivors!", but now days in the movies the same sort of character is more likely to wail before having his crew firing torpedos, "Oh the humanity! Why oh why must man kill his fellow man!"
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Holden, did we ever find out who actually slashed Miriam's dress in HHSC?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

TikiSoo wrote: January 17th, 2024, 5:46 am Thanks! That movie looks interesting...did not recognize Paul Benedict until he started talking! Matthew Broderick, Penelope Ann Miller...just requested it from my library. Bonus Bruno Kirby's in it too!

Maximillian Schell also pops up -- and is very amusing.