Just Plain Bad Movies

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CinemaInternational

Just Plain Bad Movies

Post by CinemaInternational »

One of the old standbys of the board is the "Bad Movies You Love" thread. I think it's time to create a thread so we can roast the films that are simply just lacking.

I will start off with Hurry Sundown (1967) , a movie that manages to make a great cast feel like cardboard. It's truly startling that Otto Preminger directed it. It doesn't have a single plus to it.
Allhallowsday

Re: Just Plain Bad Movies

Post by Allhallowsday »

REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE (1967)

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

There are many "bad" movies that really are just black comedies that don't reach the audience easily & often with time develop cult status. DEATH TO SMOOCHY 2002 is kind of like that-
Someone on the crew gave me a VHS of it, considered "worst movie, even for Canada" & I LOVED IT! It has since gained a following.
HAROLD & MAUDE was like that, people generally didn't "get" Hal Ashby movies, but some often improve with time & multiple viewings.

This hilarious clip is from a movie that I'm sure is some kind of parody/comedy, but panned as a "bad movie"-

Many MST3K bad movies are actually pretty good, just missing their mark. With repeated viewings, you see the successes as well as the failures of the director/editor/acting/production. Charles B Pierce and Bert I Gordon movies come to mind.

Just Plain Bad Movies That You Love is taken to another level when speaking of A pictures and usually fails from self important narcissism like the often discussed Ken Russell, Orson Welles films.

My favorite bad A movies are over-the-top melodramas like THE BAD & THE BEAUTIFUL '53 and MILDRED PIERCE '45:
Ann Blyth says essentially the same line to her Mother that Orson Welles says to his Financier in Citizen Kane, "I'm everything you're not" but when SHE says it- so vitriolic!
CinemaInternational

Next up: A film that had a lot of big names, but little sense or reason: Harry and Walter Go to New York (1976), a heist comedy that is set in the late 1800s.... Only there isn't a laugh in the film to be found. Most of it can be chalked up to the heavy-handed direction, but the script simply doesn't sparkle. And a big cast which includes James Caan, Elliott Gould, Michael Caine, Diane Keaton, Charles Durning, Carol Kane, and Lesley Ann Warren is left stranded. When not even Diane Keaton is allowed to any of her trademark wit, you have trouble.....
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 27th, 2023, 2:35 pm Next up: A film that had a lot of big names, but little sense or reason: Harry and Walter Go to New York (1976)
Omigod-I first thought you meant HARRY & TONTO '75 and I thought, "well, I liked that movie" ...once you named the stars, realized my mistake.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Allhallowsday wrote: December 24th, 2023, 11:25 pm REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE (1967)

I'll admit I do I enjoy REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE.
The final scene with the camera moving wildly from Robert Forster on the floor, Marlon Brando with the gun and Elizabeth Taylor screaming is a favorite of mine.

There is a fort in the South where a few years ago a murder was committed.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 28th, 2023, 2:38 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: December 24th, 2023, 11:25 pm REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE (1967)

I'll admit I do I enjoy REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE.
The final scene with the camera moving wildly from Robert Forster on the floor, Marlon Brando with the gun and Elizabeth Taylor screaming is a favorite of mine.

There is a fort in the South where a few years ago a murder was committed.
That scene always makes me laugh. :D
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Wicked, Wicked (1973) was shown on TCM this morning. Watched it while taking a break from "deconstructing Christmas."
It was shown in Duo-Vision and thankfully I have a 55" TV. Most of the movie shows two different, but related scenes at the same time on the screen. Somewhat confusing and actually distracting at times. Not a very good story to begin with.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 28th, 2023, 2:38 pm Elizabeth Taylor screaming is a favorite of mine.
I love a big star screaming in a movie. Especially funny a man, maybe the high voice?

Kirk Douglas is the king of screamers. I love in TB&TB when he screams, "Maybe I LIKE being cheap!"
(sorry no good Kirk screaming gifs)
CinemaInternational

TikiSoo wrote: December 28th, 2023, 10:38 am
CinemaInternational wrote: December 27th, 2023, 2:35 pm Next up: A film that had a lot of big names, but little sense or reason: Harry and Walter Go to New York (1976)
Omigod-I first thought you meant HARRY & TONTO '75 and I thought, "well, I liked that movie" ...once you named the stars, realized my mistake.
No, definitely not. I loved Harry and Tonto with Art Carney. It's one of my favorites of the whole decade.
CinemaInternational

skimpole wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 4:24 am I don't think I've had a more excruciating experience in the theater over the last seven years than seeing The Florida Project or Red Rocket
The Florida Project was indeed unbearable. I am just grateful that Willem Dafoe managed a nice, quiet gentle performance in the midst of all that obnoxious mishegoss, because otherwise I don't think I could have made it through. I never wanted to see Red Rocket, so I avoided it.