February 2024 Schedule Posted, 31 Days of Oscar

Discussion of programming on TCM.
cmovieviewer

Re: February 2024 Schedule Posted, 31 Days of Oscar

Post by cmovieviewer »

Vincent Price fans might want to catch the Roger Corman film The Masque of the Red Death (1964) on WatchTCM if you missed the showing late Wednesday evening. TCM is airing a version that was restored in 2018 with a 90 minute+ run time. The colors in the restored version are amazingly vibrant.

https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/83047/t ... h#overview

The film is available on WatchTCM through February 21.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

jimimac71 wrote: February 8th, 2024, 12:34 pm
Nellie LaRoy wrote: February 8th, 2024, 12:04 pm
jimimac71 wrote: February 5th, 2024, 7:36 pm Great American Family is no better. They also stretch old fashioned 4:3 TV shows to fit 16:9 widescreen.
I'm not willing to pay Peacock (yet) just for Murder, She Wrote and Columbo.
Have you tried the local library? Depending on your city/county, many libraries have a good selection of classic TV shows on DVD/blu but YMMV of course.

Also fiddling around with your TV's AR controls can probably unstretch those distorted shows.
GAF basically zooms the image so it fills the widescreen format.
I can’t undo that. Sometimes the opening credits run off the bottom of the screen.
On Hallmark M&M, there are black bars on each side. On the right are the letters HD.
I don’t drive, so going to the library is a chore. At the moment, so is walking.
At present, Jessica Fletcher is everywhere.
Start TV, Great American Family and Hallmark Movies and Mysteries.
I believe MSW is coming to Pluto TV and is currently on The Roku Channel.
Of course, it’s on Peacock.
We don’t watch anything current in our home except the news.
If only TCM’s offerings were more my speed lately.
When you say nothing current, how current is current? I ask because with only a few rare exceptions (and my usual annual Oscar duty), I don't really watch anything from the last 15 years at all anymore (and frankly I don't even dip into those early 2000s years that much. I usually stop somewhere earlier, around 1996)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

CinemaInternational wrote: February 8th, 2024, 4:51 pm
jimimac71 wrote: February 8th, 2024, 12:34 pm
Nellie LaRoy wrote: February 8th, 2024, 12:04 pm

Have you tried the local library? Depending on your city/county, many libraries have a good selection of classic TV shows on DVD/blu but YMMV of course.

Also fiddling around with your TV's AR controls can probably unstretch those distorted shows.
GAF basically zooms the image so it fills the widescreen format.
I can’t undo that. Sometimes the opening credits run off the bottom of the screen.
On Hallmark M&M, there are black bars on each side. On the right are the letters HD.
I don’t drive, so going to the library is a chore. At the moment, so is walking.
At present, Jessica Fletcher is everywhere.
Start TV, Great American Family and Hallmark Movies and Mysteries.
I believe MSW is coming to Pluto TV and is currently on The Roku Channel.
Of course, it’s on Peacock.
We don’t watch anything current in our home except the news.
If only TCM’s offerings were more my speed lately.
When you say nothing current, how current is current? I ask because with only a few rare exceptions (and my usual annual Oscar duty), I don't really watch anything from the last 15 years at all anymore (and frankly I don't even dip into those early 2000s years that much. I usually stop somewhere earlier, around 1996)
I guess “current” can be a bit vague. My favorite movie is Victor/Victoria from 1982.
When it comes to movies, anything beyond that becomes questionable.
Same can be said for TV shows. “In The Heat of the Night,” is often too violent.
Yeah, it’s a cop show. (1988-1995).
Favorite TV show is M*A*S*H. (1972-1983).
Favorite TV shows are mostly from the 1980s.
I guess Ben M. is right, saying TCM appeals to young people too.
To me, it’s a bit unexpected, which makes it very cool.
I’m not an R rated film fan.