ziggy6708a

"The Color Purple" (2023)

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
HoldenIsHere

Re: "The Color Purple" (2023)

Post by HoldenIsHere »

It looks like this movie is being promoted similarly to how SWEENEY TODD was --- downplaying the fact that it's a musical.

The first trailer I saw (I think during BARBIE) gave no indication at all that this movie was based on the musical THE COLOR PURPLE rather than being a remake of the original movie or just another adaptation of Alice Walker's novel.

This second official trailer does include some singing and some clips of characters dancing, but it still does not announce that the movie is a musical, only describing it as "a bold new take on the beloved classic."
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

It is going to be hard to live up to the performances given by Whoopi and Margaret Avery in 1985...
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 16th, 2023, 5:10 pm It is going to be hard to live up to the performances given by Whoopi and Margaret Avery in 1985...
Yeah and making it a musical kind of lessens the impact of the story - musical numbers take the audience out of the drama.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I have never seen a live performance of the stage musical THE COLOR PURPLE, but I do plan to see the movie adaptation at some point.

I am probably one of the few people who doesn't care for the 1985 adaptation directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Whoopi Goldberg.
Whoopi Goldberg was probably expected to win the Best Actress Oscar for her work in that movie.
In my opinion, it's fortunate that the Academy gave the award that year to Geraldine Page for the veritable master class performance she gave in THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL.