MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Swithin

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Swithin »

Many horror film villains are surrogates for Hitler and fascism/naziism. Most are not explicit but are clearly meant to be interpreted that way. Two are quite explicit: Henry Victor in King of the Zombies (1941) and Rudolph Anders in She Demons (1958).

Rudolph Anders
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Andree wrote: February 10th, 2024, 11:39 pm Some of the professor's insights were interesting, others not so. I'd call it a mixed bag.
There are levels to interpreting movies and it is to be expected that a professor of
cinema is going to try to dig deeper than the "average" movie fan. Whether those
results are worthwhile is a matter of individual opinion. I recall he discussed patterns
in one episode and sure there are discernable patterns in movies, but being less generous
are they patterns or just cliched plots, situations, and characters[
/b]? Folks will likely have
their own take on it.

Yes, the same is true for the analysis literary texts as with the analysis of mass media texts.
Scholars always "dig deeper that the "average" reader or the "average" movie viewer.

I think that Professor Suber (and the producers of THE POWER OF FILM series) did a good job of making the scholarly examination of mass media texts accessible to the so-called "average" movie fan and presenting those ideas in an entertaining format.
Andree

Post by Andree »

That's true. I just take Hollywood movies less seriously than he does, which I suppose
is to be expected. I enjoyed the series for the most part despite not always agreeing
with his take on things. Fortunately, there are multiple interpretations about films and
to each their own.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Swithin wrote: February 11th, 2024, 5:08 pm Many horror film villains are surrogates for Hitler and fascism/naziism. Most are not explicit but are clearly meant to be interpreted that way. Two are quite explicit: Henry Victor in King of the Zombies (1941) and Rudolph Anders in She Demons (1958).

Rudolph Anders

You are right of course, Swithin! I remember Henry Victor in KING OF THE ZOMBIES. I vaguely recall SHE DEMONS but it seems like a lifetime ago.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Did anyone ever see THEY SAVED HITLER'S BRAIN?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 13th, 2024, 12:13 am Did anyone ever see THEY SAVED HITLER'S BRAIN?
No, actually Bronxie, I haven't.

Ya see, I've been putting off watching this one until I know who exactly "They" are!

(...I mean, don't ya just hate vague movie titles like this too?!)

;)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo, how come we never see horror/sci-fi movies about saving Mussolini's or Stalin's brain? It's always Adolph.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

And remember THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL? In addition to everything else -- Gregory Peck as Dr. Mengele!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

:smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce:

Happy Day After Valentine's Day to all the dear people on this thread.

It's less depressing the Day After, lol.

Yesterday I ate some self-bought Belgian chocolate which I paired with my beloved Lays Dill Pickle potato chips. These were washed down with Sprite.

I passed up the 112th airing of DR. ZHIVAGO but stuck around for BRIEF ENCOUNTER (no sex please, we're British) and always weep buckets at the end of 1939's WUTHERING HEIGHTS. And it was a real treat seeing REBECCA after so many years!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

DAMN! I forgot Rebecca was on! :(
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: February 16th, 2024, 11:27 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 16th, 2024, 12:36 am :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce:

Yesterday I ate some self-bought Belgian chocolate which I paired with my beloved Lays Dill Pickle potato chips. These were washed down with Sprite.

I passed up the 112th airing of DR. ZHIVAGO but stuck around for BRIEF ENCOUNTER (no sex please, we're British) and always weep buckets at the end of 1939's WUTHERING HEIGHTS. And it was a real treat seeing REBECCA after so many years!
And a belated Happy Valentine's Day to you! That day can be a tough one: I know someone who calls it "Singles Awareness Day." Years ago I decided to try a nice restaurant I'd never been to. On Valentine's Day. Where I was the only person there alone. I never made that mistake again. Chocolate, potato chips, and great movies are a wonderful way to spend any day!
LOL. I hate eating alone in restaurants. Since covid I haven't been in any. I as see it, it's just another day to get people to spend money. I don't need a special day to do that!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 16th, 2024, 12:36 am :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_heartbounce:

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: February 16th, 2024, 9:30 am DAMN! I forgot Rebecca was on! :(

I don't regularly check their schedule but was glad I did this time. So sorry you missed it. Did you at least catch NOTORIOUS? These two Hitch classics, two of his best, very rarely pop up.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Holden, PICKLE POWER!

I always salivate during POLISH WEDDING when Lena Olin reaches into her pickle jar to enjoy a nice big one.