MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Hibi »

LOL! I'll keep my eyes on Bing's arms while watching!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: February 27th, 2024, 9:45 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 26th, 2024, 6:53 pm Did anyone watch THE COUNTRY GIRL last night?

Bing's shortened left arm was on full display.
I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet. Haven't seen it in many years. Bing had one arm shorter than the other?

I originally ruminated on Bing's left arm in my first post. Make up your own mind and get back to me! Enjoy! (Grace really stretches her acting chops here)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 27th, 2024, 8:22 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 26th, 2024, 6:53 pm Did anyone watch THE COUNTRY GIRL last night?

Bing's shortened left arm was on full display.
I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet. Haven't seen it in many years. Bing had one arm shorter than the other?

I originally ruminated on Bing's left arm in my first post. Make up your own mind and get back to me! Enjoy! (Grace really stretches her acting chops here)
Will do! :D
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Hibi wrote: February 28th, 2024, 9:36 am

Just for the record: Uta Hagen played the lead in the Broadway premiere of The Country Girl, winning her first Tony Award. She won her second Tony Award for originating the role of Martha in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: February 28th, 2024, 9:41 am

Just for the record: Uta Hagen played the lead in the Broadway premiere of The Country Girl, winning her first Tony Award. She won her second Tony Award for originating the role of Martha in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?.
And in regard to Grace's performace in the film version, yes, she was good enough in it to win her that Oscar.

(...but then again, the Academy has always looked favorably upon very beautiful and photogenic actresses who dress down and get frumpy for their roles, ya know)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: February 28th, 2024, 3:48 pm

And in regard to Grace's performace in the film version, yes, she was good enough in it to win her that Oscar.

(...but then again, the Academy has always looked favorably upon very beautiful and photogenic actresses who dress down and get frumpy for their roles, ya know)
Over Judy Garland in her greatest role...
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

And she wasn't even that frumpy!
Andree

Post by Andree »

I too forgot to look for Bing's short left arm. Maybe that's the one he used to hit his kids with.
Thankfully his right arm was the one he used to reach for the booze bottle in TCG. I haven't
seen this one in at least fifteen years. Okay, but nothing very special. I don't know much about
1950s musicals but the one Bing was starring in seemed corny as all get out. Let's build a town,
put it up not down. Whatever. Yeah, even as a semi-frump Grace looks pretty sexy. I never
thought her acting in this role was anything great, she was just doing the old reverse glamor puss
routine and did it fairly well. Bill Holden comes off as something of a cad, trying to steal Bing's
wife. Tsk, tsk, you naughty boy.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I know this mystery is not on a par with what happened to the missing posts, but I'm fascinated by this story. A mushroom is growing out of a frog in India. This news has been covered worldwide.

This frog is a walking mushroom farm. Rare discovery from India stuns scientists.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/29/world/mu ... index.html
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

So, a herpetologist, a mycologist and a priest walk into a bar.

The herpetologist says, "Hey, did you hear about that frog in India that has that mushroom growing out of its side?"

The mycologist says, "Yeah, I sure did! Fungi will often grow in locations one would not expect it to, ya know."

The priest then says, "God works in mysterious ways."

A discussion about Science versus Theology then ensues.

(...okay okay, maybe this one isn't that funny, BUT it sure could happen once this news about this frog with the mushroom growin' on it goes really viral, wouldn't ya think?!) ;)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I hope it doesn't lead the frog to do this:

dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Swithin wrote: February 29th, 2024, 10:44 pm A mushroom is growing out of a frog in India.
Expect another warning soon to not eat such mushrooms to go along with the Don't Lick the Frogs one. 🤓
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

I was pondering on Joan Crawford's beauty and how her look changed each decade, which do you think was most attractive? I think I will go with the 1950s, I like her eyebrows and lips then.

1920s

1930s

1940s

1950s

1960s

1970s

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Well, I slogged through Country Girl last night and couldn't really tell if Bing's arm was shorter or not! If it was, it wasn't noticeable. What I DID notice was what a chore watching the film was. Hard to believe it got so many Oscar nominations. I could see the acting, but the rest? Grace was good, but I wouldn't have awarded her the Oscar over Garland, but Grace had both Paramount and MGM behind her. Judy maybe had WB (but with her attendance record filming, maybe not). Holden was such a misogynistic jerk, I could barely sit through his tirades. I havent watched this film in years and I don't think I could watch it again for many more years! Was the play any better? I doubt it. I love how at the end Grace gets to be glam! (See, I dont really look that bad!) Even new viewers would see where this was going after the first 10 mins. So predictable!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: February 28th, 2024, 4:44 pm

And she wasn't even that frumpy!
No kidding!!!