March 2024 Schedule Posted, Debbie Reynolds is SOTM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
cmovieviewer

March 2024 Schedule Posted, Debbie Reynolds is SOTM

Post by cmovieviewer »

TCM has posted a partial schedule for March, 2024.
Debbie Reynolds is Star of the Month, her 2nd time.

Additional details are available at my schedule information page:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html
CinemaInternational

Re: March 2024 Schedule Posted, Debbie Reynolds is SOTM

Post by CinemaInternational »

I think the TBA theme on March 17, is Irish films for St. Patrick's Day (Although they could do better than Far and Away, which is memorable only for its 70 mm photography and an Enya song)
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 21st, 2024, 5:56 pm I think the TBA theme on March 17, is Irish films for St. Patrick's Day (Although they could do better than Far and Away, which is memorable only for its 70 mm photography and an Enya song)
Sounds good, thanks.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Three of my favorite Fleischer Studios Popeye The Sailor animated shorts are scheduled in March 2024:
A Clean Shaven Man on March 16
Brotherly Love on March 23
I-Ski, Love-Ski, You-Ski on March 30

Each cartoon includes a song written specifically for it.

"Now I don't care whose brother you love."
[Nice sentiment from Olive Oyl]

speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I'm definitely interested in "A Lion in the Streets," it sounds amazing. The evening of precodes on 3/11 devoted to "Working Women" look exciting. I recommend "Baby Face," (which who needs me to recommend this pre-code classic?), "Female," "Big Business Girl" and "Employee's Entrance. The latter two films feature Loretta Young in one of her usual "young woman goes through the wringer" type roles. In 'Girl,' she is married to bandleader who leaves for a tour. While he's gone, Loretta gets a secretary job, working for Ricardo Cortez. She's successful in her job, despite the (or maybe because of) the constant sexual harassment she receives from boss Cortez. However, her "success" is due to Cortez hiring her because she's nice to look at, he says "a girl with a chassis like that can be a half-wit and get by." Loretta's success isn't exactly due to merit. "Employee's Entrance" features Loretta being the object of desire for Warren William. She marries William's right hand man, Wallace Ford. Out of retaliation, William monopolizes Ford's time and impacts his relationship with Loretta.

I am also curious about the premiere of the Debbie Reynolds film, "This Happy Feeling." I think though, I'm most excited for "Another Part of the Forest" to repeat, so I can put it on my "To Keep" section of my DVR. This is a prequel to "The Little Foxes" and Ann Blyth is excellent as the younger version of Bette Davis' character from 'Foxes.'
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
CinemaInternational

skimpole wrote: February 9th, 2024, 3:31 am Wow, it turns out that we get to see the premiere of The Passenger, a movie whose circulation has been restricted for decades by Jack Nicholson. Also, the TCM premiere of Brian's Song.
The Passenger did have a brief theatrical rerelease from Sony Pictures Classics around 2005, coupled with a DVD release just afterwards, but probably the disc is out of print now. Its definitely one of the few MGM titles never to air on TCM before now. Brian's Song is the rare TV movie that also received a theatrical release in the US.
CinemaInternational

And if they were doing a night of TV movies, it would have been nice if they had showed Love Among the Ruins with Hepburn and Olivier under the direction of Cukor.

Another TV movie of that era that was a keeper was The girl Most likely To.... a scabrous dark comedy written by Joan Rivers with Stockard Channing as a deadly femme fatale.
skimpole

Post by skimpole »

One of the problems with the March schedule is the limited number of Irish themed films TCM plays for St. Patrick's Day. It occurs to me that Ken Loach made two movies about Ireland, and both won prizes at Cannes. Neither of them are among my favorite Loach films, but other people might like The Wind that Shakes the Barley
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

I'd rather see a schedule with zero Irish films for St. Patrick's Day.