A new candidate for Star of the Month?
Tay Tay? Love that! :smiley_cheer:
My curiosity is peaked.
Nellie, your posts are very enjoyable.
Thank You!
CinemaInternational

Re: Taylor Swift Song Sparks Interest in the Rise and Fall of Clara Bow

Post by CinemaInternational »

Clara Bow was such a magnetic actress. She just owns the screen whenever she is on it. Case in point would be one of her first talkies, The Saturday Night Kid. Jean Arthur plays her vampish (!) sister, and even though Arthur is also a wonderful actress, Bow is the more magnetic of the two in the film.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

CinemaInternational wrote: February 10th, 2024, 6:31 pm Clara Bow was such a magnetic actress. She just owns the screen whenever she is on it. Case in point would be one of her first talkies, The Saturday Night Kid. Jean Arthur plays her vampish (!) sister, and even though Arthur is also a wonderful actress, Bow is the more magnetic of the two in the film.
More curiosity!
I probably would like to see her silent films.
So there is another opportunity for TCM.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

So then, just further evidence that Taylor Swift must really have a thing for..ahem..tight ends...

(...sorry, just couldn't resist this one...oh and btw, here's hopin' everyone enjoys tomorrow's Super Bowl game)
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

But that's the extent of it....Swift fans may look up Clara Bow on wiki but it'll end there only because there aren't "It Girl" t-shirts.

I met yet again another 20 something girl who said she loves Marilyn Monroe but has never seen her in any movie. I then asked what she loved about MM and she said, "because she didn't let the public or anyone get her down, she overcame adversity."

Amazing.
I wonder if I was that stupid in my 20's...
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

If I had a Nickel for every time Dargo said,"sorry, just couldn't resist this one."
I will resist a reply to TikiSoo, except to say, "Nah."
My brother hasn't called me Bonehead in a while. Things might be getting better.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jimimac71 wrote: February 10th, 2024, 8:16 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: February 10th, 2024, 6:31 pm Clara Bow was such a magnetic actress. She just owns the screen whenever she is on it. Case in point would be one of her first talkies, The Saturday Night Kid. Jean Arthur plays her vampish (!) sister, and even though Arthur is also a wonderful actress, Bow is the more magnetic of the two in the film.
More curiosity!
I probably would like to see her silent films.
So there is another opportunity for TCM.
Little chance of that as Bow worked at Paramount. Many of her silents have been lost, too. Once in awhile they'll show "It" or "Wings", not much else. And I don't think "It" has been shown in quite awhile.
Last edited by Hibi on February 12th, 2024, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

TikiSoo wrote: February 11th, 2024, 5:44 am But that's the extent of it....Swift fans may look up Clara Bow on wiki but it'll end there only because there aren't "It Girl" t-shirts.

I met yet again another 20 something girl who said she loves Marilyn Monroe but has never seen her in any movie. I then asked what she loved about MM and she said, "because she didn't let the public or anyone get her down, she overcame adversity."

Amazing.
LMREO!!!!!
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

TikiSoo wrote: February 11th, 2024, 5:44 am But that's the extent of it....Swift fans may look up Clara Bow on wiki but it'll end there only because there aren't "It Girl" t-shirts.

Amazing.
FWIW, Anna May Wong has a growing fan base, even though many of her films aren't...available on official DVDs/BluRays? I could make It Girl T-shirts without great difficulty, if I wanted to enough.

Am I letting a potential side hustle slip away from me? Should I see if I can trademark "It Girl"?
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

Nellie LaRoy wrote: February 13th, 2024, 11:23 am
j.lunatic wrote: February 13th, 2024, 10:49 am FWIW, Anna May Wong has a growing fan base, even though many of her films aren't...available on official DVDs/BluRays?
Aren't most of her movies old enough to be in the public domain? I would imagine if that is so, her films must be all over YouTube
Wong or Bow? In both cases their pre-1929 films are in the public domain in the U.S. Many of these are on YouTube and other streaming sites, but sometimes in very poor quality. (I keep saying "You get what you pay for.") And both women's talkies are generally available, though rarely from legit sources.

My point (if any) is that if the Swifties take to Clara Bow, the Anna May Wong fandom provides useful examples (e.g., a YouTube channel collecting all AMW material that won't bring on the copyright cops).
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
Marysara1

Post by Marysara1 »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/is ... ei=22Swift is related to the poet Emily Dickinson.