Noir Alley

Andree

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Andree »

Dargo wrote: March 25th, 2024, 4:23 pm
I'm sure this was all just a plot contrivance in order to explain his lack of good judgement of not initially notifying the police, and due to the film's script at first presenting him as being a clear-thinking individual and as he's usually portrayed in most all of his other noirs.

(...and, to add to a more sympathetic view of his character by the audience as well)
That could be. It just goes on for so long and Faith seems to be half way dragging
him around. I usually don't like those corny sudden Hollywood happy endings, but Bob
went through so much I was glad he came out alright at the end.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: March 25th, 2024, 5:09 pm
Yes, I've seen both of those Perry Mason episodes. They pop up often.
They're ones from the early 1960s. I've seen them too, though I don't recall
the details except for noticing Faith Domergue. FETV stills runs two episodes
of PM every night and also in the mornings and afternoons.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: March 25th, 2024, 7:57 pm
Hibi wrote: March 25th, 2024, 5:09 pm
Yes, I've seen both of those Perry Mason episodes. They pop up often.
They're ones from the early 1960s. I've seen them too, though I don't recall
the details except for noticing Faith Domergue. FETV stills runs two episodes
of PM every night and also in the mornings and afternoons.
She wound up being the murderer in one of them. I can't remember about the other one. METV does also (twice a day).
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Hibi wrote: March 25th, 2024, 10:05 am Thanks. That's a lot of repeats! The wraparounds for Where Danger Lives seemed new to me. I hope Eddie isn't running out of Noir material.....
I looked at the wraparounds Eddie did for Where Danger Lives the first time it was shown on Noir Alley back in January of 2018. Eddie had Robert Mitchum's son Christopher as a guest that time so it was a much different presentation. It was also shot on the nice Noir Alley set, which we may never see again unfortunately.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: March 26th, 2024, 1:40 pm
Hibi wrote: March 25th, 2024, 10:05 am Thanks. That's a lot of repeats! The wraparounds for Where Danger Lives seemed new to me. I hope Eddie isn't running out of Noir material.....
I looked at the wraparounds Eddie did for Where Danger Lives the first time it was shown on Noir Alley back in January of 2018. Eddie had Robert Mitchum's son Christopher as a guest that time so it was a much different presentation. It was also shot on the nice Noir Alley set, which we may never see again unfortunately.
I thought so. I didn't remember him going on so long about Faith Domergue the first time around.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

I had seen Where Danger Lives and it's OK, but not all that good. In fact, I made a DVD of it, but never play it. I have seen Domergue in a few other movies, including the Sci-Fi ones and her performance is less impressive in them. I frequently re-watch the Perry Mason episodes on DVD, but can't actually recall the ones with Domergue, so probably didn't impress me there either.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Last Night Noir Alley was Pushover. I've seen the film before but never heard Eddie discuss it. I was somewhat surprised how much he praised the film.

The pre-intro by Ben was funny assuming he was being funny and not serious. Ben said to stay tuned for Eddie,,,,,well,,,, but maybe not, since Eddie will give away the plot in his intro and thus one doesn't need to watch the film.

Anyway it was nice to see a Columbia noir on TCM; Make in 1954 introducing Kim Novak and starting Fred MacMurray as a flawed cop.

PS: corrected misspelling of Novak. I should have also mentioned Dorothy Marlone. Marlone played a hard-working nurse and I found her more appealing than the blonde Novak. Marlone looks nice in her party outfit at the end of the film, with that black neck 'thing'. I call it a thing because I wonder what it really was called back in the day (neck bracelet?). Looks sexy but does give off a bondage vibe (or is that the other way around, ha ha).
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on March 31st, 2024, 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
laffite

Post by laffite »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: March 31st, 2024, 11:02 am Last Night Noir Alley was Pushover. I've seen the film before but never heard Eddie discuss it. I was somewhat surprised how much he praised the film.

The pre-intro by Ben was funny assuming he was being funny and not serious. Ben said to stay tuned for Eddie,,,,,well,,,, but maybe not, since Eddie will give away the plot in his intro and thus one doesn't need to watch the film.

Anyway it was nice to see a Columbia noir on TCM; Make in 1954 introducing Kim Novack and starting Fred MacMurray as a flawed cop.
Novak

(sorry...)
Mona
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Whenever I see Phil Carey in something, besides the idea that for some reason he used to remind me of Richard Egan (although I never confused the two), I'm also always reminded of these series of tongue-in-cheek Granny Goose potato chip commercials they ran out here in the west during the '60s...

(...don't think they sold these or ran these commercials back east)
Last edited by Dargo on March 31st, 2024, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesjazzguitar

Phil Carey was on Archie Bunker. He as an ex-pro-NFL player that Archie really "loved". Well Archie and old-pro go to a bar and Archie makes a comment about sissy boys etc... Old-pro doesn't response, just letting the comments go on.

Later Archie asks why the old-pro never got married. Comments like "wow, you must have had a lot of really nice-looking gals, etc....". Old-pro answers that these gals were not his type, but never says what should be obvious to all; I'm gay! They say goodby and Archie is confused and starts debating himself on the topic, but of course, ends up thinking no way a man like that could be, well, you know, a man like that!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Yep, I remember that AITF episode, James. One of so many other groundbreaking ones on that classic sitcom.

(...btw, I'll bet the majority of people primarily remember Carey as a soup opera fixture, and kind'a like Hans Gudegast..ahem, excuse me..Eric Braeden) ;)
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Dargo wrote: March 31st, 2024, 1:11 pm Yep, I remember that AITF episode, James. One of so many other groundbreaking ones on that classic sitcom.

(...btw, I'll bet the majority of people primarily remember Carey as a soup opera fixture)
Of course. Texas millionaire Asa Buchanan on ONE LIFE TO LIVE, marrying many an inappropriately young gal.

I like PUSHOVER, but less than Eddie does. The first half hour is great, with many dazzling shots and imaginative camera movements. Kim Novak is also superb here. Eddie had it right when he talked about her blend of carnality and vulnerability, and how that burns its way onto the screen. As Kim Novak has less to do and the story concentrates on the watchers, the tension sags, later recovers some but doesn't get back to the peak of the first half hour.

About some of those camera set-ups: look at the first two shots in the film, before the credits, to see how Quine establishes that a robbery is taking place. From the bar scene later in the film, notice how the camera shows us one piano, then the second piano, and swoops around to show us the bar, with Kim sitting there.

The outro discusses Richard Quine's personal and professional life.
laffite

Post by laffite »

I wish Fred MacMurray had done more drama. Really good screen presence, loved that chiseled jaw, clipped speech, and piercing eyes ... and great inscrutability, now wonder it took them so long to catch up with him. Eddie's remark about vulnerability with regard to Kim made me think of Marilyn. They came upon the scene at about the same time. Kim starts out here at a fairly decent example of a run of the mill femme fatale, after all it was her idea. But it only half baked. When she gets scared that vulnerability comes through making me think a little of Marilyn in Don't Bother to Knock. Dorothy Malone is fetching, I love 50s depictions of women, there is something appealing to me when they are character characters, not in the spotlight and therefore not overdone. The voyeurism was all official business, a license to look. And who is the pushover? Not Kim, for sure It must be the little man who was afraid to lose his pension, or a would-be pushover since he did not like be pushed. Or maybe Sheridan? (half serious ism)

//
Mona
jamesjazzguitar

Dargo wrote: March 31st, 2024, 1:11 pm Yep, I remember that AITF episode, James. One of so many other groundbreaking ones on that classic sitcom.

(...btw, I'll bet the majority of people primarily remember Carey as a soup opera fixture, and kind'a like Hans Gudegast..ahem, excuse me..Eric Braeden) ;)
I agree with you that actors like the now deceased Carey and the still kicking Braeden, (who I believe is still working on The Young and Restless) are likely best known for their soap opera work.

I don't watch soap operas but just a few weeks ago while channel flipping, I happened across TYaR. I had just seen Braeden on Gunsmoke and when I saw him on TYaR I gave a private shout-out. Great to see someone at his age (born 1941) still performing at their profession. Braeden was a very charming cad.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Walter Neff joins the police force. Sheridan does remind me of the ol' insurance pro--
lots of wisecracking, not exactly honest, and planning a getaway with a sexy dame.
And two similar death scenes. I would guess he'd rather see Kim Novak's pretty face
than Eddie G.'s bulldog mug. I hadn't seen this one for a number of years. I had forgotten
how many stakeout scenes there were, which on occasion drags things down a bit. But
this is a pretty likeable meat and potatoes noir though with few surprises. Poor Paddy,
he's not going to get that pension. And making the Irishman the boozehound. Tsk, tsk.
Eddie mentioned in the intro that this was an 80 minute movie, but it's actually around
90 minutes, the time given in my film guides. No biggie.