Films that made you cry

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
kingrat

Re: Films that made you cry

Post by kingrat »

txfilmfan wrote: April 5th, 2024, 6:49 pm Re: Dumbo, it's probably the song that's sung over that scene as well - Baby Mine - that triggers the waterworks. No shame in that. I've read several accounts (probably from the same original source) that theatergoers were blubbering watching Snow White... upon its original premiere/release.

Dumbo has made me cry. Can't think of another Disney film that has, though - except Up. Folks with grown-up kids have told me the Toy Story films make them misty - especially the one where the toys are given away because their son is going off to college ( I think that's #3? Can't keep them straight).

Old Yeller still makes my older brother cry, and he's over 70...

Sorry I can't cue the song up for you: Confederate Railroad's "She Never Cried When Old Yeller Died." This is the song that also has the lyric "Listening to those Barry Manilow records was just one of her character flaws."
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

kingrat wrote: April 7th, 2024, 6:22 pm
Sorry I can't cue the song up for you: Confederate Railroad's "She Never Cried When Old Yeller Died." This is the song that also has the lyric "Listening to those Barry Manilow records was just one of her character flaws."
Reminds me of a couple of lines in the now most likely scant to ever be re-broadcast much anymore 'The Cosby Show':

Bill Cosby: "I'm just like Old Yeller. A faithful protector of the family."

Phylicia Rashad: "Yeah, well, they shot Old Yeller, remember!"
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Dargo wrote: April 7th, 2024, 7:25 pm
Reminds me of a couple of lines in the now most likely scant to ever be re-broadcast much anymore 'The Cosby Show':

SPOILER ALERT!! :tickedoff: :D
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Dargo wrote: April 4th, 2024, 6:31 pm I seldom cry over sad endings. My tears seem to more easily flow while watching a hopeful or uplifting ending. Cases in point:

'The Best Years of Our Lives' (...during this one, there are at least five or six scenes in it that get me misty-eyed...probably why it's been my favorite all-time movie for many years)

'The Apartment' (...that lovely ending "gets me right here" every time I watch it)

'Casablanca' (...I've had a "beautiful frendship" with this film since the very first time I watched it as a teenager...besides the ending, the "Play La Marseillaise" scene is always sure to bring the tears as well...and heck, I'm not even French!)

"Singin' in the Rain' (...I think the reason this one always tears me up by the end of it, is probably because I'm always joyously amazed that there were people who could make such a perfect film that was made for sheer entertainment purposes)
Yes, The Best Years of Our Lives is another one for me, especially when Homer (Harold Russell) shows his girlfriend his bedtime routine...
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

txfilmfan wrote: April 7th, 2024, 7:47 pm
Dargo wrote: April 7th, 2024, 7:25 pm

SPOILER ALERT!! :tickedoff: :D
LOL

Surely anyone and everyone who's a regular around these here parts probably already knows what happens to Old Yeller.

(...and so I have to assume you're pullin' my leg here, Tex ol' buddy...good one, though) ;)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

txfilmfan wrote: April 5th, 2024, 6:49 pm
Killers of the Flower Moon (I'm an Osage tribal member)

I don't have the same connection as you do to the story, txfilmfan, but I have been putting off seeing KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON.
I will eventually watch it, but I am not ready yet.