I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

Thank you, MR. INTERNATIONAL , you're like that ONE JUROR in TWELVE ANGRY MEN who manages to get JACK WARDEN to change his verdict.

She will live, for now.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lorna wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:21 pm Thank you, MR. INTERNATIONAL , you're like that ONE JUROR in TWELVE ANGRY MEN who manages to get JACK WARDEN to change his verdict.

She will live, for now.
By the way, speaking of your TV pet peeves, I recall your one post on the old boards saying how much you could not stand Linda Lavin. She played a murder victim on a CBS show last week, playing a former murderess who was killed herself when she was pushed from a high-rise balcony. I thought you might get a kick out of that.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:40 pm

By the way, speaking of your TV pet peeves, I recall your one post on the old boards saying how much you could not stand Linda Lavin. She played a murder victim on a CBS show last week, playing a former murderess who was killed herself when she was pushed from a high-rise balcony. I thought you might get a kick out of that.
I'D BET YOU ANYTHING POLLY HOLLIDAY HAS BEEN EATING FROSTING OUT OF THE CANNISTER AND WATCHING THAT SCENE ON LOOP ALL WEEK!
Last edited by Lorna on April 11th, 2024, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

JUST HITTIN' THE REPLAY BUTTON OVER AND OVER AND OVER WHILE CACKLING LIKE MARGARET HAMILTON....
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lorna wrote: April 11th, 2024, 7:44 am
Hibi wrote: April 10th, 2024, 9:06 am Speaking of Murder, She Wrote, I saw the Snow White, Blood Red episode yesterday. One of my favorites with a great twist at the end! Jessica snowed in at a ski lodge with a killer on the loose!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0653616/

And it turned out to be an unedited version. Apparently when I saw it on other stations they cut most of the blood out on the second killing. I'd forgotten how grisly it originally was.
1. I love that episode SO GD MUCH.

2. I REFUSE to watch any TV show on NETWORK TV because THEY EDIT THE LIVING HELL OUT OF EPISODES to make room for more ad space. One of the "good " things about STREAMING is that you can actually SEE the eps in their entirety, even though they have commercials, because they don't have to work with scheduling and time constraints. trying to watch THE GOLDEN GIRLS on lifetime is pointless as they RUIN PUNCHLINES, misplace MUSIC CUES and even cut important plot points, and they don't edit out the laugh track- so they'll just be sitting at the table and there is a HARD CUT and the audience is GUFFAWING and you know it's over a raunchy joke they cut.

3. network tv and news are dying, and frankly they deserve it- and the honest to God #1 culprit for this is ADVERTISING. I actually paid to get YOUTUBE PREMIUM with no commercials, so now when a news story breaks, I immediately go there because I know I won't have to sit through an APPLEBEE'S AD or one for FEMININE DRYNESS to find out whether something BIG has happened.
TikiSoo wrote: April 11th, 2024, 8:03 am
dianedebuda wrote: April 8th, 2024, 10:09 am I've never seen an episode of MSW and I do like Angela. 😆
Me too- I feel so left out!

Also in the camp of never seeing Big Bang Theory, Home Improvement, Raymond and very few Seinfelds, Simpsons and Golden Girls.
Obviously never been a TV sitcom gal.
Last one I watched episodes “as released” was BBC’s GHOSTS and can’t find the most recent Season 4.

I do think Lorna is correct, network TV is dead due to commercials. I tried watching the US version of GHOSTS on TV and could NOT EVEN FOLLOW the story line because of the interruptions that were longer than the actual scene!

Advertising has definitely increased and has become more obnoxious over the years (as my posts back and forth, and my responce to txfilmfan would indicate), but as much of a debit it has become in watching TV, I feel that there was another culprit in the downfall of basic network TV: The sheer homoginization of what the networks air. It used to be, years ago, that the networks would try to alternate what they showed, trying to appeal different shows to different ages or parts of the country..... and in the 80s and early 90s, this expanded to include wonderful series that were renewewed due to critical praise and loyal audiences, even though they were not big Nielsen watching events.... but then Friends happened in 1994, and I argue that the success of that show was the ruination of network TV, because after its success, TV went around trying to replicate it, and only started making shows that would draw in twentysomething audiences. The thoughtful dramas that made TV a joy to watch in the 80s nearly went by the wayside. In 1998, the Emmy drama side was won by a relatively new show (The Practice), but all other nominees for the prize had been on TV for 4 years by that point! It was at that point that network audiences, which had been falling, fell through the floor, losing many of the audiences that had been faithful to the networks for years. Some producers tried to warn the networks what was coming, but they didn't listen.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Lorna wrote: April 11th, 2024, 2:57 pm THE THING ABOUT MODERN COMMERCIALS that gets me is THAT THEY ARE soooooooooooooo PUNISHINGLY DREADFUL- and there is NO NEED FOR THEM TO BE.

I was recently looking at commercials from the 70s 80s and 90s ON YOUTUBE
and was taken aback by how INNOCUOUS AND INNOFFENSIVE AND TO-THE-POINT THEY ARE.

No stunt casting of polarizing celebs (every time I see SCHWARZENAGGER in one of those STATE FARM ADS I OUTRIGHT TURN OFF WHATEVER I AM WATCHING AND MOVE ON TO SOMETHING ELSE, SEE ALSO: rebel wilson FOR MATCH.COM AND PETE DAVIDSON, PERIOD)

There were no "wet teddy bears" or idiotic nonsense hypothetical scenarios about "LIBERTY BIBBERTY" or "my car named BRAD" in the CAR INSURANCE COMMERCIALS- they just TOLD YOU WHAT THEIR PLAN WAS AND THEN LET YOU GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE.

THERE WAS NO INTERACTIVE ADS THAT FROZE OR LOCKED YOUR SCREEN IF YOU CHOSE NOT TO INTERRACT WITH THEM.

THERE WAS NO DOUG AND NO LIMU EMO.

NO "I LIKE TO SMELL MY BEARD GUY"

AND NO FLO.

so help me, if I could put that woman on a rocket to the sun I WOULD.

AND "FEMININE DRYNESS" AND "BUTT STINK" AND THE ACTUAL FUNCTION OF TOILET PAPER WERE DISCUSSIONS LEFT FOR PRIVATE LOCKER ROOMS.

SO MANY ADS I SEE FROM 1970-1999 FEATURE PLEASANT-LOOKING, NON IRRITATING PEOPLE TELLING YOU DIRECTLY WHAT THE PRODUCT IS AND WHAT IT DOES AND HOW MUCH IT COST AND THEN THEY GOT THE **** OFF YOUR SCREEN AND LET YOU GET BACK TO "DAYS OF OUR LIVES."

BUT NO, WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS ANYMORE, SO INSTEAD WE HAVE A "BOOKING.COM" COMMERCIAL WHERE ONE GUY SPOTTING A GUY ON A BENCH PRESS SPITS HIS GUM INTO THE MOUTH OF THE OTHER GUY BY ACCIDENT- AND IT HAPPENS IN THE FIRST FIVE SECONDS, YOU CAN'T MISS IT! I HAD TO GET OFF THE ELLIPTICAL MACHINE AT THE GYM BECAUSE I LITERALLY GAGGED WATCHING IT!!!!!

I mean, if you had gone to an AD AGENCY in 1967 and said "we want to sell our product by MAKING PEOPLE PHYSICALLY ILL THROUGH OUR ADS" then DON DRAPER would have shown your assss the door and he would have been write to do it.

sorry guys, I'm on one today. advertisements have become the new "FLAMES ON THE SIIIIIIIDE OF MY FAAAAAACE"
I agree. We used to have Mr. Whipple, the Maytag repairman, and various middle-aged actresses selling us coffee or Hostess snacks. But the 70s started having more delicate matters air in ads too (Summer's Eve and other hygiene products' ads were controversial back in the day), but nothing like today's ads. I'd much rather have Charmin tell me how soft it is by squeezing it, rather than have a bunch of animated bears tell me how clean their backsides are after using it.

One big difference is the types of products advertised. In primetime, it used to be a lot of cars, food and cleaning products. Now it's prescription drugs and insurance. The former weren't allowed to advertise in the 70s. Only OTC medicines were allowed. And the only insurance ads I remember were Prudential or Mutual of Omaha, and then only on their own show (WIld Kingdom) or on Sunday talk shows. All that advertising has to be impacting our insurance rates...
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:40 pm
Lorna wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:21 pm
Yes, Elsbeth has begun in a promising way. If you can imagine Lily Tomlin playing a combination of Columbo and Monk, that is Carrie Preston as Elsbeth. Linda Lavin might be ideal casting as an unpleasant New Yorker who torments the people who rent apartments in the building she owns. Jane Krakowski was excellent as the sleek upscale real estate agent involved in the story.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Back in the old days there was a job called “Traffic.”
Not automobile traffic but managing ads on TV and radio.
Two car commercials in the same cluster was a no-no.
Now there are two 15 second spots in the same cluster intentionally.
Two spots for the same company. Think AAA.
They edit them down from 30 to 15.
Now there’s an ad for “pits and privates.” (Lume)
The other ad for lady parts intends for you to imagine the other P word. (Secret)
Television clearly has hit an all-time new low.
The “Boob Tube” would be a compliment.
Indeed, I believe selling meds on TV should be outlawed.
Jardiance, the musical, is an insult.
A singing commercial for a diabetes drug is so very wrong.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Jardiance, the musical, is an insult.
A singing commercial for a diabetes drug is so very wrong.
Masha

Post by Masha »

What's My Line (1950-1967) was sponsored by: 'Stopette' (Poof! There goes perspiration!) These commercials were usually a talking head but there was one which had a lady in a unitard doing an interpretive dance. It is ... interesting.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Masha wrote: April 11th, 2024, 6:57 pm What's My Line (1950-1967) was sponsored by: 'Stopette' (Poof! There goes perspiration!) These commercials were usually a talking head but there was one which had a lady in a unitard doing an interpretive dance. It is ... interesting.
Stopette is referenced in Sabrina, of all things. As I understand these things, it was the first anti-perspirant on the market that wasn't applied with the hands, thanks to the invention of the plastic squeeze bottle. In Sabrina, as I recall, one of David's loves is a TV spokesmodel, and his father (Walter Hampden) derides her occupation by imitating the "Poof Poof" demonstration of the product's application.

WML had a variety of sponsors after Stopette could no longer afford to be the sole sponsor. It was common to have alternating sponsors back then (one primary, one secondary, and then they'd usually reverse the next week). The set was adjusted so that the primary sponsor's trademarks/logos could be attached to the panelists' desk and switched out easily. Remington Rand was also a sponsor in the 1950s, and they would hawk everything from their electric razors to typewriters and other office equipment, including their latest top of the line computers.

I'd never heard of Stopette until I started watching WML reruns on the Game Show Network years ago. They would show the entire original show with period commercials (and then add their own modern ones too), so a 30 minute episode ran 40 minutes.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I suppose I've seen every episode of Seinfeld multiple times, though I've
taken a hiatus in recent years and it doesn't seem to be on in as many places as
it used to be. Still funny for the most part. I never thought it was necessary for
Jerry to be a good actor, he just had to be able to get the comedic situations
over, which he did. And how much charisma do you need for a "show about nothing?"
I especially give Elaine props for wearing an Orioles cap at a damn Yankees home
game. And you know, well yada yada.

I think the Lume lady has toned down her spiel lately. She doesn't talk about
under this, up that, but private areas. There's also another woman who does a
similar ad for another brand of deodorizer. Maybe this is the golden age of
eliminating the PU problem.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Speaking of obnoxious commercials: how does anyone stand the obnoxious evil guy who appears in the commercials for one insurance company? Or the sweater guy in the extremely ageist and offensive "becoming their parents" commercials for another insurance company? I do not understand those commercials at all, except as utterly repulsive. Flo is welcome next to these guys, whom I instantly mute.

By the way, Seinfeld was never about nothing, despite what Larry David might have said. It is an expression of narcissistic navel-gazing New Yorkers believing that they are the center of the universe.
Masha

Post by Masha »

txfilmfan wrote: April 11th, 2024, 7:19 pm
I'd never heard of Stopette until I started watching WML reruns on the Game Show Network years ago. They would show the entire original show with period commercials (and then add their own modern ones too), so a 30 minute episode ran 40 minutes.
It is currently shown on: Buzzr. It retains the original commercials and has flashscreen breaks and so fills forty minutes. It is at four-forty in the morning. That is a bad time for me because it is about when I go to bed. I do watch on occasion but it does screw up my next day. I have reason to believe that they are about to change their schedule again. I hope that it is on at a different time but I fear they will remove it because it is in a block of 1950s programmes and they do not present those regularly.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 11th, 2024, 2:51 pm
Lorna wrote: April 11th, 2024, 2:45 pm (IN RE: THE ELAINE GIFS)

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!

I LIVE!!!!!!

PS- IS THERE A SINGLE PERSON WHO POSTS HERE WHO IS FAMILIAR WITH "THE ENGLISH PATIENT EPISODE" THAT HASN'T FELT THAT WAY ABOUT SOME MOVIE EVERYONE WAS LOSING IT OVER COMPLETELY AT SOME TIME IN THE PAST????

(although I thought THE ENGLISH PATIENT was fine, even if JULIET BINOCHE was THE UNQUESTIONABLE LEAD and SCOTT-THOMAS's was clearly the supporting part)

Let's see. I was too young to have seen it at the time, but I felt that way when I caught up with American Beauty.

I am totally with you on AMERICAN BEAUTY.
I didn't see it when it was in theaters, but when I did see it, I was like YUCK!
I gave the movie a half star on Letterboxd.