Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

[quote=Andree}

I think the Lume lady has toned down her spiel lately. She doesn't talk about
under this, up that, but private areas. There's also another woman who does a
similar ad for another brand of deodorizer. Maybe this is the golden age of
eliminating the PU problem.
[/quote]

Can you imagine the NATIONWIDE APOPLECTIC SEIZURE THAT WOULD HAVE OCCURRED if- during an AD BREAK on I LOVE LUCY ca. 1954, MISS BETTY FURNESS showed up in the shower and asked: "HEY AMERICA!! DO YOU WANNA KNOW HOW WELL YOUR SOAP IS WORKING?! WELL YOU TAKE YOUR HAND AND YOU STICK IT..."

(i'm not going to finish but...CAN YOU IMAGINE? it would've been a NATIONAL CALAMITY- MORGUES FULL, EMERGENCY ROOMS FILLED TO CAPACITY, EISENHOWER FORCED to deliver an EMERGENCY ADDRESS BEFORE A JOINT SESSION OF CONGRESS, HELL, WE MIGHT'VE RE-INVADED KOREA )

And here in the 21st century it's just par for the course in an average viewing of network tv- any time of day.

that's how far we have fallen as society
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

kingrat wrote: April 12th, 2024, 12:39 am Speaking of obnoxious commercials: the sweater guy in the extremely ageist and offensive "becoming their parents" commercials for another insurance company? I do not understand those commercials at all, except as utterly repulsive. .
I WASHED MY TRASHCANS SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE OF ONE OF THOSE STYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPID COMMERCIALS.

ALSO, YEAH, NO TAKING YOUR OWN GD FOOD ON A PLANE WHEN IT'S TOTALLY ALLOWED YOU DORK!!!!!! GO AHEAD AND BUY IT ALL AT THE AIRPORT!!!!! ENJOY YOUR $24 STALE CINNABON YOU ***HOLE. AND PICK UP SOME $34 DENTAL FLOSS WHILE YOU'RE AT IT
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:33 am
I realize I might be getting us even further off-topic, but JUST YESTERDAY I was thinking of how- with a couple exceptions- FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT designed some truly uglyassed houses.

If you want to see a lot of Frank Lloyd Wright designed houses, be sure to visit Oak Park, Illinois if you are ever in the Chicago area.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lorna wrote: April 12th, 2024, 8:00 am
Allhallowsday wrote: April 11th, 2024, 2:57 pm THE GODFATHER (1972) Again. Are there cracks at the seams? I still love that kitty!
For anyone interested: THE GODFATHER seems to have gotten away from THE DARK CLUTCHES of AMC where it was desecrated to HELL every time they ran it: edited for content, truncated, and pumped full of ads to where one 3 hour film fills a six-hour slot.

AMC: HOW MOVIES SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER BE SHOWN (TM)

it's recent airing has been on a CERTAIN CABLE NETWORK THAT SHOWS CLASSIC FILMS WITHOUT ADS (who knows for how long though)

** ALTHOUGH, YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO FAST FORWARD THROUGH 5 MINUTES AND TEN SECONDS OF INANE PRATTLING FROM A CERTAIN SOMEONE AT THE START OF THE SHOW.

btw- I don't really love THE GODFATHER all that much, but you know what? I like LUCCA BRAZZI. honestly, he's the only character I feel anything for.

The fishes should be lucky for his company.
You're speaking of Ben. i'm still a bit stunned by his intro for The Freshman, on which he started laying on the praise for most of the other scripts that Andrew Bergman was involved in (Blazing Saddles, Fletch, The In-Laws, Honeymoon in Vegas, and Striptease) , but he left out Soapdish! (Admittedly, Robert harling of Steel Magnolias/First Wives Club did the first draft, but still, that's leaving out one of the best, if not the best comedy of the last 35 years)
CinemaInternational

kingrat wrote: April 12th, 2024, 10:26 am I had the "Elaine at The English Patient" experience with Pirates of the Caribbean. People had low expectations of the film, based as it was on a Disney theme park ride, but because it was better than that, suddenly it became a phenomenon. When I saw it, I was expecting a really entertaining show, and found . . . what seemed like a long movie, with Orlando Bloom looking pretty, and Johnny Depp prancing around, and that was it?
I caught up with the first of those a few weeks ago when I was going about trying to plug up Oscar-nominated viewing holes. I thought it was pretty dull, grim, and long. Too long.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:16 pm
Hibi wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:02 pm KILL THE LUME LADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YES!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!
Man, you f***ers are BRUTAL!

Now I'm really worried what you might do to {feigns Southern accent} "li'l ol' me" who has never seen an episode of MURDER, SHE WROTE . . .
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

kingrat wrote: April 12th, 2024, 10:26 amPirates of the Caribbean ... When I saw it, I was expecting a really entertaining show, and found . . . what seemed like a long movie, with Orlando Bloom looking pretty, and Johnny Depp prancing around, and that was it?
Had the same reaction except I don't even remember Bloom. 😆
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: April 12th, 2024, 9:01 am sorry about my advertising meltdown yesterday.

to try and chill out, I rented PINOCCHIO (1940) on youtbe (FYI- youtube rentals are either the same price as or less than they are on amazon AND you get to keep the video for THREE DAYS and not TWO)

this is the most beautiful animated (feature-length) movie that has ever been made and is a serious contender for the title of the most beautiful film EVER.

I'm not sure I had seen this film since its 1984 theatrical re-release, but it's one of those rare movies that are like a dream you had one time where for some reason- you remember the details clear as crystal- ALTHOUGH two things had escaped my memory:

1. THE COLOR BLUE is SO PROMINENT IN THIS MOVIE (in a lovely way)
and
2. The animators and Walt really, really succeeded in making PINOCCHIO a really, really likeable main character- in spite of MANY ODDs-

and that SECOND FEAT is a REAL TRIUMPH, because those of you who have read the collected COLLODI stories on which the film is based know that PINOCCHIO (in the book) is a rotten, sadistic little s*** who endures any number of graphic and disturbing punishments. also he KILLS his CRICKET COMPANION with A MALLET.

Ah, the Italians, they have such a zest for life...

Really though, more than many other DISNEY PROTAGONISTS of the golden era that come to mind- I think more work went into making PINOCCHIO (the character) something real and relatable and genuine with an actual personality (although CINDERELLA comes close) he's not really cruelly thoughtless, he really was just "born yesterday" and every time he gets in trouble again, I know I personally wasn't mad about it- and if anyone is going to get annoyed by a character in a film, it;s me.

Also i love how he just SNAPS INTO FULL JOHN MACLAINE.MAGUYVER MODE when he and GEPPETTO are trapped inside the WHALE.

PLEASE HELP ME, I HAVE HAD THE SONG "I GOT NO STRINGS" STUCK IN MY HEAD FOR 24 HOURS NOW,.
I also love PINOCCHIO (1940) --- a beautiful movie both visually and tonally.

I also agree with your comment about Pinocchio being a truly sympathetic hero without making him sugary-sweet perfect.
This was achieved with the title character of ALADDIN from the Disney renaissance era.
Last edited by HoldenIsHere on April 12th, 2024, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CinemaInternational

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 12th, 2024, 3:08 pm
Hibi wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:02 pm KILL THE LUME LADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YES!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm really worried what you might do to {feigns Southern accent} "li'l ol' me" who has never seen an episode of MURDER, SHE WROTE . . .
I'm not brutal. And let's face it, until I went on a TV spree in 2020, I hadn't seen many TV series either. Don't feel bad about it. If you ever want to check Murder, She Wrote out though, it is everywhere. Amazon Prime, Peacock, Hallmark Mystery, Great American Family, Start TV, DVDs, probably some other way too....
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Hibi wrote: April 11th, 2024, 10:54 am
txfilmfan wrote: April 11th, 2024, 10:29 am
Hibi wrote: April 11th, 2024, 10:19 am I don't watch any network shows, but the news shows (network and cable) are also awful. Many long commercial breaks. It seems there are more commercials than actual news stories. Often they'll come back from a commercial break, tell one news story and go on break again! I'm constantly switching stations as I refuse to watch commercials!
Takes a lot of ad revenue to pay the high salaries of stars (whether actors, news readers or athletes)
YEP! Maybe if they lowered salaries........Nah!

This reminds me of the scene in BROADCAST NEWS where someone mentions to Jack Nicholson's character (the network new anchor) that the impending lay-offs at the network news department can be avoided if he's willing to take a small cut in salary. He has no reaction to the remark and the person who made the comment then back tracks with "Forget it. I never said that."
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 12th, 2024, 3:27 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 12th, 2024, 3:08 pm

I'm not brutal. And let's face it, until I went on a TV spree in 2020, I hadn't seen many TV series either. Don't feel bad about it. If you ever want to check Murder, She Wrote out though, it is everywhere. Amazon Prime, Peacock, Hallmark Mystery, Great American Family, Start TV, DVDs, probably some other way too....
I was just being silly.
I don't think Hibi & LHF were truly advocating that the Lume woman be killed.

But, yes, CI, you were the voice of reason here. providing a non-violent solution:
" As much as I loathe those commmercials, that's going to far. But maybe, possibly we can offer her a variation on 1993's Indecent Proposal: have some multi-billionaire offer her $100 million dollars to stop advertising on TV for good."
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

You know, and I'm thinking this too, subscribe to commercial free television.
NBC/Universal on Peacock.
Paramount+ for CBS.
Hulu for ABC and Fox.
PBS Passport for extended shows without ads.
I need to upgrade my ISP gateway for stability before I kill the cable.
TV news is available to stream for free.
I would probably enjoy The Simpsons when it is commercial free and just 20 minutes. I think that requires Disney+ without ads.
Disney+ has The Sound of Music.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: April 11th, 2024, 7:35 am the ONLY things I recall about SEINFELD all these years later are the episodes and moments that revolve around ELAINE BENES, honestly, it was really HER show.

people talk about "THE SEINFELD CURSE" and I sometimes wonder if maybe they just didn't see the obvious truth right in front of them the whole time: JERRY SEINFELD and MICHAEL RICHARDS are terrible actors with no charisma, and while JASON ALEXANDER is good- he REALLY needs THE RIGHT PART.

But JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUSS just has it- looks, timing, a gift for physical comedy: SHE is THE SHOW.

also, she's a better dancer than RUBY KEELER.

I do like Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, but I don't like SEINFELD at all.
There was only one episode I saw that had a moment that genuinely made me laugh out loud.
This was the episode where there was a misprint on a Trivial Pursuit card ("The Moops" was printed instead the correct answer "The Moors") and Jason Alexander's character insisted that "Moops" was the correct answer to the question because that was what the card said.
But that was the only time I found anything on that show funny.
All of the characters were mean-spirited, self-involved people and while I've never had to find characters on a comedy sympathetic to enjoy the humor, I never saw any humor in that show although I could see that the writers and actors thought the show was hilarious.

I had a conversation once with someone who loved SEINFELD and I told him that I did not like the show, that I did not think it was funny.
He told me, "Well, it's Jewish humor, not to everyone's taste"
I had to work to have a non-reaction when I heard that because I am Jewish, and he was not.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

So interesting. Everyone I know loved Seinfeld. Thought the show was hilarious. It's only on this site and our old TCM site that I've experienced negative comments about the show.
I agree, the show had a lot of NY humor. The Dick Van Dyke Show was like that too. Yes, Jewish humor on both shows.
If you guys didnt like Seinfeld, I can just imagine how you'd feel about Curb Your Enthusiasm! lol.
Sorry but I think both Seinfeld and Curb were brilliant, hilarious shows.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

KayFrancis wrote: April 12th, 2024, 9:21 pm So interesting. Everyone I know loved Seinfeld. Thought the show was hilarious. It's only on this site and our old TCM site that I've experienced negative comments about the show.
I agree, the show had a lot of NY humor. The Dick Van Dyke Show was like that too. Yes, Jewish humor on both shows.
If you guys didnt like Seinfeld, I can just imagine how you'd feel about Curb Your Enthusiasm! lol.
Sorry but I think both Seinfeld and Curb were brilliant, hilarious shows.
Kay, I have to confess I didn't like Seinfeld, and I couldn't bear what little I saw of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Obviously, Kay, you know I don't have a problem with New York Jewish humour! And I loved The Nanny!