Theater

Chit-chat, current events
BagelOnAPlate

Re: Theater

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:14 pm
txfilmfan wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 6:04 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 5:08 pm "There's been a call.
(What did I say?)
They want to see me
Right away!"

I bought tickets today at the pre-sale for Jamie Lloyd's revival of SUNSET BLVD that's transferring from the West End to Broadway this fall.
So the sweetie and I will be in New York in October!
Our 10-year anniversary is coming up this summer, but we decided to delay the celebration to accommodate seeing this show.

I wonder if the second act opening with Tom Francis singing on the street outside the Savoy in London will be replicated outside St. James Theatre in New York?

Think they'll have software to mute out the constant sirens and honking in Manhattan? You can hear them inside the theaters, so it'll only be that much worse outside.
Here's another video that someone recorded of Tom Francis singing "Sunset Blvd" on the street outside the Savoy with the security entourage and tech people with him.

You can hear someone say at one point "It's a West End show."
I guess a bystander had asked what was going on.

It's become a mini-phenomenon on TikTok for people to post videos of themselves re-creating Tom Francis's performance of "Sunset Boulevard" on the street outside the Savoy:

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Do any of our posters who attend plays performed in London's West End have tickets for Jamie Lloyd's production of ROMEO AND JULIET that will begin its limited engagement at the Duke of York Theatre next month?

The production stars Tom Holland as Romeo.

It appears that one of the cast members has ben subjected to online racially-based abuse.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-68739588
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 7th, 2024, 2:08 pm Do any of our posters who attend plays performed in London's West End have tickets for Jamie Lloyd's production of ROMEO AND JULIET that will begin its limited engagement at the Duke of York Theatre next month?

The production stars Tom Holland as Romeo.

It appears that one of the cast members has ben subjected to online racially-based abuse.

I hope to be in London next month but doubt that I will get to see it. It's totally sold out, although they may add more tickets. The abuse is unfortunate. There have been many mixed-race R&Js, but I guess we live in an age where abuse is too easy to inflict.

I've probably seen enough R&Js for a while. There are many Shakespeare plays that I can visit again and again, but R&J is generally not one of them. Still, with Jamie Lloyd directing, I might have gone.

My favorite R&J was with Ralph Fiennes (aged 24) and Sarah Woodward, directed by Declan Donnellan. A stunning Edwardian production at the Open Air Theatre, Regents Park.

More recently, I saw Matthew Bourne's ballet of R&J. It was gorgeous, with a gay subtext provided by Mercutio and his boyfriend (and a homophobic Tybalt).
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

It looks like another Jamie Lloyd London production will be transferring to Broadway later this year.

From The Mirror:

EXCLUSIVE: Future of Tom Holland's Romeo and Juliet revealed after fan meltdown over tickets
Tom Holland is heading to Broadway in New York when his 12-week theatre run of Romeo & Juliet at the Duke of York’s Theatre in London comes to an end in Augus

By Laura Armstrong, Assistant Editor, Showbiz
17:43, 6 Apr 2024

Tom Holland has made next month’s West End run of Romeo & Juliet the hottest ticket in town – and now Broadway wants in on the action.

We can reveal that the Spider-Man star will be heading across the pond when his 12-week run at the Duke of York’s Theatre in London comes to an end in August. That means those who missed out on tickets for the sold-out Jamie Lloyd revival will get another chance to see the Hollywood star in action on stage – if they’re willing to travel the distance. Tom fans have described the ticket frenzy as on a par with Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour meltdown, after seats sold out in under two hours.

A source says of the New York transfer: “Romeo & Juliet will head to Broadway after its London run, with details to be announced in due course. While director Jamie Lloyd has made a name for his minimalist adaptations of classic texts, the headline grabber for what is essentially yet another production of Romeo & Juliet is undoubtedly its leading man. Fans can’t wait to watch the Marvel hero test out his acting chops up close and personal, and with tickets costing around £200, it’s an incredibly lucrative earner.”

It’s not the first time Tom, who is dating Hollywood megastar Zendaya, has trodden the West End’s boards. His first professional role came in Billy Elliot when he played the would-be ballet dancer’s pal Michael Caffrey when he was just 12 – but within months, he was moved into the title role.

Francesca Amewudah-Rivers, whose only on-screen role has been TV’s Bad Education, will star opposite Tom in Romeo & Juliet. This week, the Jamie Lloyd Company criticised the “barrage of deplorable racial abuse” the Black actress had received since she was named as the leading lady. But you can expect her star to rise after this…

RE: The racist backlash to the casting of a Black woman as Juliet --- My initial reaction was that it's hard to believe that this kind of thing still happens in this day and age, but then I realized how vocal the bigots have become in recent years and how much acceptance bigoted views have been given in many mainstream media outlets.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Old Friends, Cameron Mackintosh's love letter to Stephen Sondheim, will be coming to America. It began life as a one-off event in London with an all-star cast, to benefit the Stephen Sondheim Foundation. It was later mounted with a mostly different cast for a run in the West End, which is where I saw it. It's not just a revue; rather a thrilling staged evening of Sondheim's music.

Bernadette Peters appeared in both the benefit performance (which was later broadcast on the BBC), and the West End production. For the West End production, she was joined by Lea Salonga and a cast of wonderful mostly British performers, including Janie Dee and Joanna Riding. Here's the trailer for the West End performance. It will arrive in New York via Los Angeles. It's one of the great thrilling evenings I've spent in the theater.

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

At the benefit performance in 2022, 91-year-old Petula Clark sang "I'm Still Here."

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: April 9th, 2024, 6:53 pm Old Friends, Cameron Mackintosh's love letter to Stephen Sondheim, will be coming to America. It began life as a one-off event in London with an all-star cast, to benefit the Stephen Sondheim Foundation. It was later mounted with a mostly different cast for a run in the West End, which is where I saw it. It's not just a revue; rather a thrilling staged evening of Sondheim's music.

Bernadette Peters appeared in both the benefit performance (which was later broadcast on the BBC), and the West End production. For the West End production, she was joined by Lea Salonga and a cast of wonderful mostly British performers, including Janie Dee and Joanna Riding. Here's the trailer for the West End performance. It will arrive in New York via Los Angeles. It's one of the great thrilling evenings I've spent in the theater.

Sirius XM's On Broadway channel had a blurb about this coming to NY, and one thing that Julie James said stunned me. This show was Bernadette Peters' West End debut.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

The Olivier Awards will be presented on Sunday, April 14, 2024. Here are categories in which I have choices. I have omitted categories in which I have not seen any productions. I don't think many of my choices will win, even though I think "How can James Norton not win for Best Actor in Play?" But there are favorites, and momentum is with someone else.

Full list of nominations for Olivier Awards 2024
My choices are in bold. These are not predictions, just my choices. (Btw, I loved the hugely popular production of Guys and Dolls. It just lacked that extra bit of NY/Broadway pizzazz that I expected.)

Noël Coward Award for Best New Entertainment or Comedy Play

Accidental Death Of An Anarchist by Dario Fo & Franca Rame, adapted by Tom Basden at the Lyric Hammersmith & Theatre Royal Haymarket
Stephen Sondheim’s Old Friends, music & lyrics by Stephen Sondheim at the Gielgud Theatre
Stranger Things: The First Shadow by Kate Trefry at the Phoenix Theatre
Vardy V Rooney: The Wagatha Christie Trial, adapted by Liv Hennessy at the Ambassadors Theatre

Gillian Lynne Award for Best Theatre Choreographer

Fabian Aloise for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre
Ellen Kane & Hannes Langolf for Dear England at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre
Arlene Phillips with James Cousins for Guys & Dolls at the Bridge Theatre
Mark Smith for The Little Big Things at @sohoplace
Susan Stroman for Crazy For You at the Gillian Lynne Theatre

Mithridate Award for Best Costume Design

Bunny Christie & Deborah Andrews for Guys & Dolls at the Bridge Theatre
Ryan Dawson Laight for La Cage Aux Folles at Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre
Hugh Durrant for Peter Pan at The London Palladium
Marg Horwell for The Picture Of Dorian Gray at the Theatre Royal Haymarket

Best Musical Revival

Groundhog Day, music & lyrics by Tim Minchin, book by Danny Rubin at The Old Vic
Guys & Dolls, music & lyrics by Frank Loesser, book by Jo Swerling & Abe Burrows at the Bridge Theatre
Hadestown, music, lyrics & book by Anaïs Mitchell at the Lyric Theatre
Sunset Boulevard, music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, lyrics & book by Don Black & Christopher Hampton at the Savoy Theatre

d&b audiotechnik Award for Best Sound Design

Paul Arditti for Stranger Things: The First Shadow at the Phoenix Theatre
Dan Balfour & Tom Gibbons for Dear England at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre
Adam Fisher for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre
Gareth Fry for Macbeth at the Donmar Warehouse

Outstanding Musical Contribution

Tom Brady for Musical Supervision & Arrangements and Charlie Rosen for Orchestrations for Guys & Dolls at the Bridge Theatre
Matt Brind for Musical Supervision, Arrangements & Orchestrations for Just For One Day at The Old Vic
Steve Sidwell for Orchestrations & Joe Bunker for Musical Direction for Operation Mincemeat at the Fortune Theatre
Alan Williams for Musical Supervision & Musical Direction for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
(This was the hardest category for me, as I've seen and enjoyed four of the performances. I would be happy if Terera, Thompson, or Varla won.)

Will Close for Dear England at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre
Paul Hilton for An Enemy Of The People at the Duke Of York’s Theatre
Giles Terera for Clyde’s at the Donmar Warehouse
Luke Thompson for A Little Life at the Harold Pinter Theatre & Savoy Theatre
Zubin Varla for A Little Life at the Harold Pinter Theatre & Savoy Theatre

Best Actress in a Supporting Role

Lorraine Ashbourne for Till The Stars Come Down at the National Theatre – Dorfman
Priyanga Burford for An Enemy Of The People at the Duke Of York’s Theatre
Haydn Gwynne for When Winston Went To War With The Wireless at the Donmar Warehouse
Gina McKee for Dear England at the National Theatre – Olivier
Tanya Reynolds for A Mirror at the Almeida Theatre & Trafalgar Theatre

Blue-i Theatre Technology Award for Best Set Design
Two picks.

Miriam Buether for Set Design & 59 Productions for Video Design for Stranger Things: The First Shadow at the Phoenix Theatre
Bunny Christie for Set Design for Guys & Dolls at the Bridge Theatre
Es Devlin for Set Design & Ash J Woodward for Video Design for Dear England at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre
Soutra Gilmour for Set Design and Nathan Amzi & Joe Ransom for Video Design for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre

White Light Award for Best Lighting Design

Jon Clark for Dear England at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre
Jon Clark for Stranger Things: The First Shadow at the Phoenix Theatre
Paule Constable for Guys & Dolls at the Bridge Theatre
Jack Knowles for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre

Best Actress in a Supporting Role In a Musical

Grace Hodgett Young for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre
Zoë Roberts for Operation Mincemeat at the Fortune Theatre
Amy Trigg for The Little Big Things at @sohoplace
Eleanor Worthington-Cox for Next To Normal at the Donmar Warehouse

Best Actor in a Supporting Role In a Musical

Jak Malone for Operation Mincemeat at the Fortune Theatre
Cedric Neal for Guys & Dolls at the Bridge Theatre
David Thaxton for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre
Jack Wolfe for Next To Normal at the Donmar Warehouse

Best Actor in a Musical

David Cumming for Operation Mincemeat at the Fortune Theatre
Tom Francis for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre
Daniel Mays for Guys & Dolls at the Bridge Theatre
Charlie Stemp for Crazy For You at the Gillian Lynne Theatre

Best Actress in a Musical

Natasha Hodgson for Operation Mincemeat at the Fortune Theatre
Caissie Levy for Next To Normal at the Donmar Warehouse
Nicole Scherzinger for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre
Marisha Wallace for Guys & Dolls at the Bridge Theatre

Unusual Rigging Award for Outstanding Achievement in Affiliate Theatre

Blue Mist by Mohamed-Zain Dada at the Jerwood Theatre Upstairs at the Royal Court Theatre
A Playlist For The Revolution by AJ Yi at the Bush Theatre
Sleepova by Matilda Feyişayo at the Bush Theatre
The Swell by Isley Lynn at the Orange Tree Theatre
The Time Machine: A Comedy by Steven Canny and John Nicholson at the Park Theatre

Sir Peter Hall Award for Best Director
Four pillars of the British theater competing!

Stephen Daldry & Justin Martin for Stranger Things: The First Shadow at the Phoenix Theatre
Rupert Goold for Dear England at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre
Jamie Lloyd for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre
Sam Mendes for The Motive And The Cue at the National Theatre – Lyttelton & Noël Coward Theatre

Best Actress

Laura Donnelly for The Hills Of California at the Harold Pinter Theatre
Sophie Okonedo for Medea at @sohoplace
Sarah Jessica Parker for Plaza Suite at the Savoy Theatre
Sheridan Smith for Shirley Valentine at the Duke Of York’s Theatre
Sarah Snook for The Picture Of Dorian Gray at the Theatre Royal Haymarket

Best Actor
Five brilliant performances, but Norton was incredible!

Joseph Fiennes for Dear England at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre
Mark Gatiss for The Motive And The Cue at the National Theatre – Lyttelton & Noël Coward Theatre
James Norton for A Little Life at the Harold Pinter Theatre & Savoy Theatre
Andrew Scott for Vanya at the Duke Of York’s Theatre
David Tennant for Macbeth at the Donmar Warehouse

The Londoner Award for Best New Play
I have to pick two in this category and hope for a tie.

Dear England by James Graham at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre
The Hills Of California by Jez Butterworth at the Harold Pinter Theatre
The Motive And The Cue by Jack Thorne at the National Theatre – Lyttelton & Noël Coward Theatre
Till The Stars Come Down by Beth Steel at the National Theatre – Dorfman

Mastercard Best New Musical

The Little Big Things, music by Nick Butcher, lyrics by Nick Butcher & Tom Ling, book by Joe White at @sohoplace
Next To Normal, music by Tom Kitt, book & lyrics by Brian Yorkey at the Donmar Warehouse
Operation Mincemeat, music, lyrics & book by David Cumming, Felix Hagan, Natasha Hodgson & Zoë Roberts at the Fortune Theatre
A Strange Loop, music, lyrics & book by Michael R. Jackson at the Barbican Theatre

The incredible Haydn Gwynne in the benefit production of Old Friends. She was supposed to reprise her performance in the West End run of the show but became ill and passed away a month later. A great loss. I've seen her and admired and enjoyed her performances on stage many times. I hope she wins her Olivier for When Winston Went to War with the Wireless.
Last edited by Swithin on April 14th, 2024, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

There's a rumor floating around that HEATHERS: THE MUSICAL is being adapted into a movie, but I haven't seen any concrete information.

Here are some clips from the off-Broadway production:

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

UPDATED WITH A FEW WINNERS.

The Olivier Awards will be presented on Sunday, April 14, 2024. Here are categories in which I have choices. I have omitted categories in which I have not seen any productions. I don't think many of my choices will win, even though I think "How can James Norton not win for Best Actor in Play?" But there are favorites, and momentum is with someone else.

My choices are in bold. These are not predictions, just my choices. (Btw, I loved the hugely popular production of Guys and Dolls. It just lacked that extra bit of NY/Broadway pizzazz that I expected.)

Accidental Death Of An Anarchist by Dario Fo & Franca Rame, adapted by Tom Basden at the Lyric Hammersmith & Theatre Royal Haymarket
Stephen Sondheim’s Old Friends, music & lyrics by Stephen Sondheim at the Gielgud Theatre
Stranger Things: The First Shadow by Kate Trefry at the Phoenix Theatre WINNER
Vardy V Rooney: The Wagatha Christie Trial, adapted by Liv Hennessy at the Ambassadors Theatre

Ellen Kane & Hannes Langolf for Dear England at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre
Arlene Phillips with James Cousins for Guys & Dolls at the Bridge Theatre WINNER

Marg Horwell for The Picture Of Dorian Gray at the Theatre Royal Haymarket WINNER

Best Musical Revival

Groundhog Day, music & lyrics by Tim Minchin, book by Danny Rubin at The Old Vic
Guys & Dolls, music & lyrics by Frank Loesser, book by Jo Swerling & Abe Burrows at the Bridge Theatre
Sunset Boulevard, music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, lyrics & book by Don Black & Christopher Hampton at the Savoy Theatre WINNER

Dan Balfour & Tom Gibbons for Dear England at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre
Adam Fisher for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre WINNER

Tom Brady for Musical Supervision & Arrangements and Charlie Rosen for Orchestrations for Guys & Dolls at the Bridge Theatre
Matt Brind for Musical Supervision, Arrangements & Orchestrations for Just For One Day at The Old Vic
Steve Sidwell for Orchestrations & Joe Bunker for Musical Direction for Operation Mincemeat at the Fortune Theatre
Alan Williams for Musical Supervision & Musical Direction for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre WINNER

(This was the hardest category for me, as I've seen and enjoyed four of the performances. I would be happy if Terera, Thompson, or Varla won.)

Will Close for Dear England at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre WINNER

Lorraine Ashbourne for Till The Stars Come Down at the National Theatre – Dorfman
Haydn Gwynne for When Winston Went To War With The Wireless at the Donmar Warehouse WINNER

Two picks.

Miriam Buether for Set Design & 59 Productions for Video Design for Stranger Things: The First Shadow at the Phoenix Theatre
Es Devlin for Set Design & Ash J Woodward for Video Design for Dear England at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre
Soutra Gilmour for Set Design and Nathan Amzi & Joe Ransom for Video Design for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre

Jon Clark for Dear England at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre
Jack Knowles for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre WINNER

Amy Trigg for The Little Big Things at @sohoplace WINNER

Jak Malone for Operation Mincemeat at the Fortune Theatre. WINNER

Best Actor in a Musical

Tom Francis for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre WINNER

Nicole Scherzinger for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre WINNER

Blue Mist by Mohamed-Zain Dada at the Jerwood Theatre Upstairs at the Royal Court Theatre
Sleepova by Matilda Feyişayo at the Bush Theatre WINNER
The Time Machine: A Comedy by Steven Canny and John Nicholson at the Park Theatre

Stephen Daldry & Justin Martin for Stranger Things: The First Shadow at the Phoenix Theatre
Rupert Goold for Dear England at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre
Jamie Lloyd for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre WINNER
Sam Mendes for The Motive And The Cue at the National Theatre – Lyttelton & Noël Coward Theatre

Best Actress

Sarah Snook for The Picture Of Dorian Gray at the Theatre Royal Haymarket WINNER

Best Actor

Joseph Fiennes for Dear England at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre
Mark Gatiss for The Motive And The Cue at the National Theatre – Lyttelton & Noël Coward Theatre WINNER

Dear England by James Graham at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre WINNER
The Motive And The Cue by Jack Thorne at the National Theatre – Lyttelton & Noël Coward Theatre

The Little Big Things, music by Nick Butcher, lyrics by Nick Butcher & Tom Ling, book by Joe White at @sohoplace
Next To Normal, music by Tom Kitt, book & lyrics by Brian Yorkey at the Donmar Warehouse
Operation Mincemeat, music, lyrics & book by David Cumming, Felix Hagan, Natasha Hodgson & Zoë Roberts at the Fortune Theatre WINNER
A Strange Loop, music, lyrics & book by Michael R. Jackson at the Barbican Theatre

The incredible Haydn Gwynne in the benefit production of Old Friends. She was supposed to reprise her performance in the West End run of the show but became ill and passed away a month later. A great loss. I've seen her and admired and enjoyed her performances on stage many times. I hope she wins her Olivier for When Winston Went to War with the Wireless.
Last edited by Swithin on April 14th, 2024, 3:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Swithin wrote: April 14th, 2024, 2:11 pm UPDATED WITH A FEW WINNERS.

I have tickets to see this Jamie Lloyd show when it transfers to Broadway this fall.
Very excited to see this one!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Swithin wrote: April 14th, 2024, 2:11 pm UPDATED WITH A FEW WINNERS.

Stranger Things: The First Shadow by Kate Trefry at the Phoenix Theatre WINNER

Arlene Phillips with James Cousins for Guys & Dolls at the Bridge Theatre WINNER

Marg Horwell for The Picture Of Dorian Gray at the Theatre Royal Haymarket WINNER

Best Musical Revival

Sunset Boulevard, music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, lyrics & book by Don Black & Christopher Hampton at the Savoy Theatre WINNER

Adam Fisher for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre WINNER

Alan Williams for Musical Supervision & Musical Direction for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre WINNER

Will Close for Dear England at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre WINNER

Haydn Gwynne for When Winston Went To War With The Wireless at the Donmar Warehouse WINNER

Two picks.

Miriam Buether for Set Design & 59 Productions for Video Design for Stranger Things: The First Shadow at the Phoenix Theatre WINNER

Jack Knowles for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre WINNER

Amy Trigg for The Little Big Things at @sohoplace WINNER

Jak Malone for Operation Mincemeat at the Fortune Theatre. WINNER

Best Actor in a Musical

Tom Francis for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre WINNER

Nicole Scherzinger for Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre WINNER

Sleepova by Matilda Feyişayo at the Bush Theatre WINNER

Best Actress

Sarah Snook for The Picture Of Dorian Gray at the Theatre Royal Haymarket WINNER

Best Actor

Mark Gatiss for The Motive And The Cue at the National Theatre – Lyttelton & Noël Coward Theatre WINNER

Dear England by James Graham at the National Theatre – Olivier & Prince Edward Theatre WINNER

Operation Mincemeat, music, lyrics & book by David Cumming, Felix Hagan, Natasha Hodgson & Zoë Roberts at the Fortune Theatre WINNER

My list is complete now. I've left out a couple of categories (opera, dance) in which I hadn't seen any of the nominees. I'm pleased with the results, for the most part.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Wow!!!!

Tom Francis's performance of "Sunset Boulevard" from Sunset Blvd at the Olivier Awards was epic!

And then for him to win the Best Actor in a Musical award!

I am so glad I'll get to see him in New York when the show transfers to Broadway.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

My ten favorite plays in alphabetical order-

1. The Boys In The Band by Mart Crowley. I saw the 2018 revival on Broadway with Jim Parsons and Zachary Quinto
2. The Caretaker by Harold Pinter. I saw a 2003 revival with Patrick Stewart and Kyle MacLachlan
3. Death Of A Salesman by Arthur Miller, I saw the 2012 revival with Phillip Seymour Hoffman
4. Detective Story by Sidney Kingsley, I saw an Off Broadway production by T. Schreiber Studio in 1999
5. Lettice And Lovage by Peter Shaffer. I saw the original 1990 Broadway production with Maggie Smith, one of the greatest theatrical experiences of my life.
6. Murderer by Anthony Shaffer*
7. Short Eyes by Miguel Pinero*
8. Sleuth by Anthony Shaffer*
9. Three Tall Women by Edward Albee, I saw the original Broadway run in 1994
10. Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woof by Edward Albee. My favorite play, I saw the 2005 revival with Kathleen Turner, saw it twice in fact.

*I never saw these performed on stage, would love to some day.
Last edited by Detective Jim McLeod on April 16th, 2024, 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: April 16th, 2024, 10:23 am

Lettice And Lovage by Peter Shaffer. I saw the original Broadway production with Maggie Smith, one of the greatest theatrical experiences of my life.

Maggie Smith's performance in this play has become the stuff of theatrical legend!

You are truly fortunate to have gotten to see it.