MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Swithin wrote: April 9th, 2024, 3:57 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 9th, 2024, 2:45 pm
kingrat wrote: April 9th, 2024, 2:26 pm

You mean like casting him as the Next Great American Novelist in Susan Slade and as the Next Great American Painter in Rome Adventure?
I do like Troy Donahue as Johnny in A SUMMER PLACE opposite Sandra Dee's Molly.

MOLLY We've gotta be good Johnny.
JOHNNY Good... Is it that easy to be good?
MOLLY Are you bad, Johnny? Have you been bad with girls?
"Disaster to the wench who did wrong by our Johnny." (Oops, wrong movie.)
''''

"Statistics show there are more women on the planet than men -- except insects"

GILDA has to be the most perversely romantic noir movie ever made.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I love Lana Turner's white lampshade chapeau in BACHELOR IN PARADISE.

Still waiting for CALL ME BWANA.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I just had the "pleasure" of getting rid of most of the channels in my TV line-up as a cost saving technique. Oh well, at least they allowed me to keep TCM.
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: April 16th, 2024, 9:23 am
txfilmfan wrote: April 14th, 2024, 4:24 pm We're almost at the exact hour of TCM's first sign-on. They signed on the air at 6 p.m. EDT on 14 April 1994.
My cable company didn't add the channel till a few years later so I missed all that.
And three posters here (myself, LostHorizons, Bagel) weren't even born at the time the channel went live. But I am so grateful it is still here.... even if I do wish that they would put a temporary moratorium on Doctor Zhivago!
CinemaInternational

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 16th, 2024, 2:27 pm I love Lana Turner's white lampshade chapeau in BACHELOR IN PARADISE.

Bachelor in Paradise is one of the better 60s Bob Hope films because it is genuinely funny. He and Lana made a good pair here, and of course Paula Prentiss was her usual professional self.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 16th, 2024, 5:06 pm
txfilmfan wrote: April 14th, 2024, 4:24 pm We're almost at the exact hour of TCM's first sign-on. They signed on the air at 6 p.m. EDT on 14 April 1994.
My cable company didn't add the channel till a few years later so I missed all that.
And three posters here (myself, LostHorizons, Bagel) weren't even born at the time the channel went live. But I am so grateful it is still here.... even if I do wish that they would put a temporary moratorium on Doctor Zhivago!

WOW. Now I really feel old!
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: April 16th, 2024, 5:09 pm

No need to feel old. Nothing should make anyone feel old. But yes, it is true that I'm about 10 months younger than the network (February 1995). LostHorizons, I think, said he was born in 1996, and Bagel said he was born in 2001.
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 16th, 2024, 5:07 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 16th, 2024, 2:27 pm I love Lana Turner's white lampshade chapeau in BACHELOR IN PARADISE.

Bachelor in Paradise is one of the better 60s Bob Hope films because it is genuinely funny. He and Lana made a good pair here, and of course Paula Prentiss was her usual professional self.
For those who grew up in the San Fernando Valley circa about twenty years spanning 1959 - 1979, the 1961 movie also offers the physical look of the so-called dream of suburbia and its nostalgic carbon: the(n) burgeoning Mid-Century Modern landscape of Woodland Hills and a real-life Hughes MARKET.
The school bus scene reminded me of being shuttled to assorted ball fields throughout the Valley during my youth.

Of film, baseball and the San Fernando Valley, I'm looking forward to the upcoming Paul Thomas Anderson discussion of "THE BAD NEWS Bears" on TCM this Saturday...
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 16th, 2024, 5:18 pm
Hibi wrote: April 16th, 2024, 5:09 pm

No need to feel old. Nothing should make anyone feel old. But yes, it is true that I'm about 10 months younger than the network (February 1995). LostHorizons, I think, said he was born in 1996, and Bagel said he was born in 2001.
For some reason I thought Lost Horizons was older. Didn't he have a different name on the TCM boards? I can't remember.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hi there, whippersnappers!

Don't even broach the subject of age with me, lol.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 16th, 2024, 5:07 pm

I believe Lana did some radio broadcasts with Bob during WWII. They did indeed go well together. Paula Prentiss is always a favorite with me.

The movie is certainly better than I'LL TAKE SWEDEN and BOY, DID I GET A WRONG NUMBER.

I'm still jonesing for CALL ME BWANA.

However, I can wait for THE PRIVATE NAVY OF SGT. O'FARRELL and A GLOBAL AFFAIR.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 14th, 2024, 9:52 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 13th, 2024, 8:36 pm Holden, how could I forget Girl For All Seasons??? I think I would put that one ahead of Cool Rider!

Thanks, Bronnxgirl, for show GREASE 2 the love that it deserves.

I do enjoy it very much, and Maxwell Caulfield was so gorgeous. Who cared if he couldn't act, lol.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Well, whattaya know, TCM will be airing A GLOBAL AFFAIR, early morning Friday the 19th.

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

NoShear wrote: April 16th, 2024, 8:26 pm

Of film, baseball and the San Fernando Valley, I'm looking forward to the upcoming Paul Thomas Anderson discussion of "THE BAD NEWS Bears" on TCM this Saturday...

Yes! I just mentioned Jackie Earle Haley in another thread.

Gotta love those bad boys with freckles . . .

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 17th, 2024, 6:10 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 14th, 2024, 9:52 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 13th, 2024, 8:36 pm Holden, how could I forget Girl For All Seasons??? I think I would put that one ahead of Cool Rider!

Thanks, Bronnxgirl, for show GREASE 2 the love that it deserves.

I do enjoy it very much, and Maxwell Caulfield was so gorgeous. Who cared if he couldn't act, lol.
Indeed!
Hubba hubba . . .