I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Andree

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Andree »

I will put in a good word for Arty Tragg. I never got the impression that he loathed
Perry and Paul. Naturally they were on opposite sides, but for the most part Tragg
kept his cool. In some episodes he would come to Perry's office at the end and pass
along something that had made Burger mad and all of them would have a good laugh
at that. He was basically going behind Burger's back and telling tales out of school.
One of Tragg's funniest scenes was when he came to Perry's office at the end of a trial
that involved beatniks and he was leaving he said something like Don't crowd me granny
(referring to Della). I'm one of the hip ones. Dig? See you later, daddy-o. And Tragg was
much more interesting than the vanilla on white bread duo of Anderson and Drumm.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I do not understand one word that comes out of Marlon Brando's mouth in SAYONARA. It's always a puzzlement to me that we are supposed to believe his Japanese lady love does.

TCM is certainly hit-and-miss with the wokeness. Nothing was mentioned, for better or worse, about Ricardo Montalban, lol.

Or even Marlon himself in TEAHOUSE OF THE AUGUST MOON.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

...a commercial even more disgusting than the Lume lady.

Sheba cat food. A mother sits enthralled with the family feline in their living room when young son calls out to her upstairs. "Mom, I fell!" -- "There are bandages in the cabinet" -- "Mom, I'm bleeding!" -- "Get two"
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dateline, The People vs. OJ Simpson

Nobody benefitted more from those two brutal murders in my opinion than Chris Kardashian and her trashy family.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 18th, 2024, 3:40 pm ...a commercial even more disgusting than the Lume lady.

Sheba cat food. A mother sits enthralled with the family feline in their living room when young son calls out to her upstairs. "Mom, I fell!" -- "There are bandages in the cabinet" -- "Mom, I'm bleeding!" -- "Get two"
Yes, a deeply disturbing commercial. Lume might be in your face about bodily areas that shouldn't be so bluntly addressed, but the Sheba commercial is heartless, cruel, and dehumanizing. And you're far from the only one that picked up on it.
CinemaInternational

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 18th, 2024, 3:40 pm Dateline, The People vs. OJ Simpson

Nobody benefitted more from those two brutal murders in my opinion than Chris Kardashian and her trashy family.
Someone else might have benefitted too in an indirect way. The murders occurred in a house that was right across the street from where 30s actress Gloria Stewart lived. Her name got somehow dragged into the press frenzy as living nearby and that attention caused her to get fielded that offer to appear in Titanic, which of course she took and rode to an Oscar nomination.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I've read that some people think that Sheba commercial is "amusingly over-the-top" but not me. And I am not a special snowflake/school monitor/politically correct type.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 18th, 2024, 3:20 pm
Swithin wrote: April 17th, 2024, 10:26 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 17th, 2024, 4:04 pm

I think the reason Geraldine Page's character (Big Sister) was not that big in the movie is because it's not in the novel. Great scene though.
I didn't realize that the BIg Sister character was created just for the movie.
the "novel" THE DAY OF THE LOCUST is based on is the thinnest little sliver of a book- maybe a little longer than THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY? It still deserves to be called a novel because it's a FULL STORY, but I could see the term novella or "story" being used. it's been a LONG TIME since I read the book and saw the movie, but I recall loving both- and actually thinking the movie (at 2 hours plus) didn't actually add a whole lot, it's still the same story, just fleshed out.

(i could be recalling wrong though)
CinemaInternational

Lorna wrote: April 18th, 2024, 3:57 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 18th, 2024, 3:20 pm
Swithin wrote: April 17th, 2024, 10:26 pm

I think the reason Geraldine Page's character (Big Sister) was not that big in the movie is because it's not in the novel. Great scene though.
I didn't realize that the BIg Sister character was created just for the movie.
the "novel" THE DAY OF THE LOCUST is based on is the thinnest little sliver of a book- maybe a little longer than THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY? It still deserves to be called a novel because it's a FULL STORY, but I could see the term novella or "story" being used. it's been a LONG TIME since I read the book and saw the movie, but I recall loving both- and actually thinking the movie (at 2 hours plus) didn't actually add a whole lot, it's still the same story, just fleshed out.

(i could be recalling wrong though)
A listing of the book on Amazon shows it's a lean 103 pages, so yes, the film obviously has some extra padding in it. I recall reading They Shoot Horses Don't They years ago and being surprised that it was basically a two character story, as the memorable supporting characters from the movie were not in the story.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 18th, 2024, 3:52 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 18th, 2024, 3:40 pm Dateline, The People vs. OJ Simpson

Someone else might have benefitted too in an indirect way. The murders occurred in a house that was right across the street from where 30s actress Gloria Stewart lived. Her name got somehow dragged into the press frenzy as living nearby and that attention caused her to get fielded that offer to appear in Titanic, which of course she took and rode to an Oscar nomination.

Wow, I never knew this at all.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

About Perry Mason:
I've been playing games on my tablet and listening to Perry Mason.
While I wasn't paying attention to either 100%, Perry and makes good radio.
I could swear someone offered Jessica Fletcher a cigar and she said, "No thanks, I'm trying to quit."
"Southern Double-Cross." She is in Australia and her lawyer was just found dead.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

A certain cable "news" network: "Unhinged, psychopathic, mob boss, Mussolini, Hitler, Putin, Caesar, Attention Deficit Disorder, crazy uncontrollable child, reprobate, dictatorial, chaotic, pea-brain, devious, vitriolic, ruthless, Frankenstein's monster, alien orange mutant, vacuous idiot, spreader of disease, racist, bigot, loathsome, opportunist, greedy, sleazy, pervert, liar, insurrectionist, a horror show, sh*t stirrer, consummate narcissist, hide-your-kids-and-wife"

Then: "We cannot explain this individual. We will not find a sled with the name Rosebud"
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Which is why my main viewing now is TCM and Dateline.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

So I turn on TCM and there is Jean Harlow and Robert Taylor kissing. I stupidly think it's the beginning of PERSONAL PROPERTY, only to see "The End" appear one minute later.

Don't you hate that?

I was so looking forward to this movie but forgot what time it came on.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

I don't want to side track the conversation, just wanted to add that from the first viewing of the horrible Sheba cat food commercial , I've been disgusted that that ad is allowed. I'm annoyed every time I see it. The Lume commercial is also disgusting but not dangerous the way the Sheba commercial is. As a mother and Grandmother I am offended and horrified that anyone would think that ignoring a hurt child is funny. Both commercials need to be banned.