Help, it's been A Hard Days Night

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I also still buy the oldies like Waylon Jennings, and Merle Haggard.
Oldies? You're just one of those newfangled kids. :P

Give me Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams, Roy Acuff, Ernest Tubb, and Hank Snow. Of the young guys, I like Johnny Cash, Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, and George Jones. And I do like some of the babies like Alan Jackson, Dwight Yoakam and Robbie Fulks.

I've never quite figured out what kind of music I like most...and probably never will. Love all kinds of jazz (except lite jazz and what fusion became), blues, gospel, r'n'b (the mid-'40s to mid-'50s stuff), soul and rock'n'roll (except most of the '70s -- thank God punk came along). Love the Gershwins, Weill, Kern, Rodgers & Hart, especially when sung by Tony, Billie, Ella, Nat, Mel, Fred or Frank. Opera in small doses. Art song -- that's what I don't care for.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I honestly wasn't aware when writing these posts of the Garth Brooks special tonight on CBS as tribute to the firefighters of LA, but if anyone is curious about whether or not a C&W artist can command an audience, all they have to do is look at the show that just ended. It was somewhere in L.A. but I don't think there was an empty seat and the amazing thing is they all showed up for a guy who has been officially retired for the past 6 years. He had previously cut some records which Walmart was licensed to sell periodically, but he has done no concerts or musical appearances since his decision to retire and spend time with his family. So I can't help but feel his staying power is quite spectacular, even though I was never a big fan.

ChiO:

Waylon, Merle, and George Jones were all the top guys when I first got into C&W and that was between 1955 and 1960. I was 10 to 15 so I felt calling them the 'oldies' was sufficient. But yes, I could have gone farther back, but I wasn't as familiar with them, and my George Strait is now in his 50's so he's no spring chicken either.

Although C&W is my favorite, I do like most kinds of music. The old standards like Frank and Dean, and I've never heard better than the Glenn Miller Band although I do enjoy heartily all of those bands that popped up between WWI and WWII. I simply cannot abide the mechanical 'music' or the rap that the kids call music today. It has no soul or beauty and it's not written music, it's a kind of hunt and peck system that occurs by trial and error. But as I said, my parents hated Rock and Roll, so I guess my thought on modern music are the same as theirs, except for a generation or two removed.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, Garth Brooks & Trisha Yearwood did NINE sold-out performances last month here in Kansas City to help celebrate the opening of the new Sprint Center. Each night after the show, they flew home to be with their kids, then flew back into KC the next night for another performance. Nine nights, nine sold out performances. :shock:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks knitwit, but what is the Spirit Center? Did they appear on their own behalf or did the proceeds go to the Center, or whatever the Center stands for?

Anne
Anne

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I found the following info online:

Sprint
Center is a large, multi-use indoor arena in downtown Kansas City, Missouri. The building is located at 14th Street & Grand Boulevard, on the east side of the Power & Light District. The arena's title sponsor is the telecommunications company Sprint, whose operational headquarters are in nearby Overland Park, Kansas.
Sprint Center opened to the public on October 10, 2007, and a concert on October 13, 2007 by Elton John was the first event held at the arena. The arena is estimated to seat 18,500 people and have 72 suites. Sprint Center has effectively replaced Kemper Arena, which was built in 1974 just a few miles away in downtown Kansas City. Additionally, the College Basketball Experience, which includes the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame will be connected to and located directly north of Sprint Center.

On September 27, 2007, it was announced that Garth Brooks would perform at the new Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri with his wife Trisha Yearwood on November 14, 2007. The show was sold out in 4 minutes. Then Brooks added another 8 shows to be performed at the Sprint Center from November 5-12, which all sold out on the day of their release, October 6, 2007. Brooks also announced that the show on November 14 would be broadcast live in movie theaters all around the world and that an encore would be shown the next day November 15.
It was announced on Nov 15, that GAC aired an edited version of the November 14 concert on November 23 at 8:00pm Est. The 90 minute special is called "Garth Brooks: One Artist, One City, One Night." At the end of the televised concert, Garth Brooks was visibly overwhelmed by the continued adoration displayed by his fans. Addressing the concert audience as well as the viewers at home, fittingly during the song "The Dance", he stated that "I promise if you wait for me, I'll be back."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Like I said, I'm not an enormous fan, but when he does things like The Dance, If Tomorrow Never Comes, and even Thunder Road, I adore him. The words to the Dance are so true to life. It's a shame so many people live for 60 or 70 years and never live the 'dance'.

Anne
Anne