Conquest of a Franchise, or, "Humans see, Humans do"

Chit-chat, current events
NoShear

Conquest of a Franchise, or, "Humans see, Humans do"

Post by NoShear »

I'm considering going to KINGDOM of the pLANET of the ApES this week but, if I do, it will be purely perfunctory yield.
I was a child during the original releases of the first five films, so motion-capture technology cannot recapture those early years of the franchise for me...

They looked so good:
Damn.

Dargo, would not be surprised to read that you'd attended the following CONQUEST contest to promote the 1972 installment:

Heck, wouldn't be surprised if you'd subbed for Gary Owens during some of that day!!
cmovieviewer

Re: Conquest of a Franchise, or, "Humans see, Humans do"

Post by cmovieviewer »

Why doesn't the 2nd from the left have a number? I'm ready to vote!
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

cmovieviewer wrote: May 9th, 2024, 12:01 pm Why doesn't the 2nd from the left have a number? I'm ready to vote!
Laughing, cmovieviewer! (#2 is said to have been crowned #1)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

NoShear wrote: May 9th, 2024, 10:45 am
Dargo, would not be surprised to read that you'd attended the following CONQUEST contest to promote the 1972 installment:

Heck, wouldn't be surprised if you'd subbed for Gary Owens during some of that day!!
Oh yeah! I was there, alright. That's the back of my head in the left foreground, holding the camera. I voted for #5.

Nah, not really. ;-) But, I do think I remember seeing this pic of this contest sometime in the distant past on the internet, anyway.

I wonder where this took place?

(...I'll bet with the Planet of the Apes franchise being owned by 20th Century Fox, it might've happened somewhere in Century City)
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Dargo wrote: May 9th, 2024, 5:09 pm
NoShear wrote: May 9th, 2024, 10:45 am

Oh yeah! I was there, alright. That's the back of my head in the left foreground, holding the camera. I voted for #5.

Nah, not really. ;-) But, I do think I remember seeing this pic of this contest sometime in the distant past on the internet, anyway.

I wonder where this took place?

(...I'll bet with the Planet of the Apes franchise being owned by 20th Century Fox, it might've happened somewhere in Century City)
You correctly guessed, Dargo: It was staged at the Century Square Shopping Center, one of the two locations where the outdoor filming for CONQUEST of the PLANET of the APES largely took place.
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

As a side note, the winner, Dominique Green, was cast in the upcoming Battle For The Planet of the Apes.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

scsu1975 wrote: May 9th, 2024, 5:27 pm As a side note, the winner, Dominique Green, was cast in the upcoming Battle For The Planet of the Apes.
Wow! Now THAT'S impressive that you know this, Rich!

So, in addition to being a guru of silents, you're ALSO very knowledgeable about beauty contestants TOO, eh?! ;)

Gotta admit #2 DOES have a tight little bod there, doesn't she?!

(...well, considering that pic was taken over 50 years ago now, she DID have a tight little bod back THEN anyway, didn't she?!)

LOL
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

Dargo wrote: May 9th, 2024, 5:43 pm
scsu1975 wrote: May 9th, 2024, 5:27 pm As a side note, the winner, Dominique Green, was cast in the upcoming Battle For The Planet of the Apes.
Wow! Now THAT'S impressive that you know this, Rich!

So, in addition to being a guru of silents, you're ALSO very knowledgeable about beauty contestants TOO, eh?! ;)

Gotta admit #2 DOES have a tight little bod there, doesn't she?!

(...well, considering that pic was taken over 50 years ago now, she DID have a tight little bod back THEN anyway, didn't she?!)

LOL
Actually, it's no big secret. I just located the issue of the L.A. Times that featured the article. The interesting point about the story is that Producer Arthur Jacobs was going to cast the winner of the contest as a chimpanzee in the film, but when he saw the lady, decided he'd rather cast her as a human. Yet, she is listed in the cast as one of the simians, so I'm not sure what happened.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

scsu1975 wrote: May 10th, 2024, 7:29 am

Actually, it's no big secret. I just located the issue of the L.A. Times that featured the article. The interesting point about the story is that Producer Arthur Jacobs was going to cast the winner of the contest as a chimpanzee in the film, but when he saw the lady, decided he'd rather cast her as a human. Yet, she is listed in the cast as one of the simians, so I'm not sure what happened.
Ya know Rich, this story does now ring a bell with me and seem to recall hearing or reading about this some years past.