Noir Alley

Andree

Re: !

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: May 8th, 2024, 4:39 pm
Yeah, a plastic surgery bargain. Even factoring in inflation! Aggie probably waited till he turned around and bopped him on the head with his trumpet (or whatever it was) to stun him then shot him when he was down. Sounds like her style.

No, no explanation was given how Agnes accomplished that.
Especially as it was for much more than a cosmetic reason.
Then again, if she had a gun why not shoot him right away.
Oh well.

I always laugh at the scene where Bogie tips the garbage
barrel over and it falls and rolls down the embankment.
Do it in the wrong place and he could be in big trouble.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: May 8th, 2024, 7:42 pm
Hibi wrote: May 8th, 2024, 4:39 pm
Yeah, a plastic surgery bargain. Even factoring in inflation! Aggie probably waited till he turned around and bopped him on the head with his trumpet (or whatever it was) to stun him then shot him when he was down. Sounds like her style.

No, no explanation was given how Agnes accomplished that.
Especially as it was for much more than a cosmetic reason.
Then again, if she had a gun why not shoot him right away.
Oh well.

I always laugh at the scene where Bogie tips the garbage
barrel over and it falls and rolls down the embankment.
Do it in the wrong place and he could be in big trouble.

LOL. Especially in the bay area. I don't remember if Aggie even admitted to killing the guy. She just kept yelling you have no proof etc. That had to be a huge window wide open for her to tumble out of too!

PAULA NEWS! Her show wasn't on last night! They are running In Pursuit again. Might be the beginning of the end! She was only on 3 months this time around. (As opposed to 5-6 mos. in the past). They may be phasing her out. (moving her from Sundays etc.)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: May 9th, 2024, 8:17 am

LOL. Especially in the bay area. I don't remember if Aggie even admitted to killing the guy. She just kept yelling you have no proof etc. That had to be a huge window wide open for her to tumble out of too!

PAULA NEWS! Her show wasn't on last night! They are running In Pursuit again. Might be the beginning of the end! She was only on 3 months this time around. (As opposed to 5-6 mos. in the past). They may be phasing her out. (moving her from Sundays etc.)
Man escapes from San Quentin only to wash ashore at Alcatraz. No I don't
think she admitted to the killing but Bogie's summation sounded convincing.

I watched a couple of ID shows last night and I forgot that Paula was supposed
to be on. We'll see what happens. I like the Murder in the Heartland show. Some
small town in the middle of nowhere. We never have murders around here. Guess
again, granny. There are some real nutcases out there in the heartland.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: May 9th, 2024, 4:37 pm
Hibi wrote: May 9th, 2024, 8:17 am

Man escapes from San Quentin only to wash ashore at Alcatraz. No I don't
think she admitted to the killing but Bogie's summation sounded convincing.

I watched a couple of ID shows last night and I forgot that Paula was supposed
to be on. We'll see what happens. I like the Murder in the Heartland show. Some
small town in the middle of nowhere. We never have murders around here. Guess
again, granny. There are some real nutcases out there in the heartland.
Yeah, I like that show. I looked it up today and Paula has been on 27 seasons. Time to go!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

...There are some real nutcases out there in the heartland.
OH yeah there are and always have been.

Now, MY personal little "favorites" of these kind'a folks have always been those who after some natural catastrophe has befallen the state of California, they'll opine the idea that that's the result of "God's retribution upon those godless people out there".

BUT of course, isn't it funny as hell how silent these SAME folks are after a series of tornados destroys scores of little heartland towns?!

Uh-huh, and unfortunately just like what's been happening these past few days.

(...nope, don't hear a PEEP out'a 'em after THAT, now do ya?!)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: May 9th, 2024, 6:34 pm
...There are some real nutcases out there in the heartland.

Now, MY personal little "favorites" of these kind'a folks have always been those who after some natural catastrophe has befallen the state of California, they'll opine the idea that that's the result of "God's retribution upon those godless people out there".

BUT of course, isn't it funny as hell how silent these SAME folks are after a series of tornados destroys scores of little heartland towns?!

A year or so ago, the wife and I were visiting her BFF that moved from CA, got married and now lives in Missouri. This friend has always complained about CA. We fly into St. Louis get in their car to their home in the burbs. Her husband starts on about how violent CA is. Now I just happened to hear that St. Louis has one of the highest murder rates in the USA (e.g. 2nd highest in 2022). For 2022 Los Angeles was 21st, and of course I live in Orange County which is must safer than LA. I point this out and they don't believe me, so they google it. Didn't hear any complaints about CA after that!!

This couple are very nice and fine people, but like so many, make clueless generalizations.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 9th, 2024, 7:00 pm
...Didn't hear any complaints about CA after that!!

This couple are very nice and fine people, but like so many, make clueless generalizations.
Gee, I'm actually kind'a surprised that showing 'em the facts would shut 'em up here, James?!!!!

I mean, surely they must've had OTHER reasons for their moving from SoCal to the heartland, RIGHT?!

Uh-huh, like say like MY sole reason for movin' to beautiful picturesque Sedona Arizona and from THE best climate in all of these United States. THIS of course bein' that there is now WAY TOO MANY FREAKIN' PEOPLE and thus the TRAFFIC IS FREAKIN' HERRENDOUS in SoCal now days!

(...and something I'm reminded of every November when I attend that British motorcycle rally in the San Fernando Valley)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: May 9th, 2024, 7:30 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 9th, 2024, 7:00 pm
...Didn't hear any complaints about CA after that!!

Gee, I'm actually kind'a surprised that showing 'em the facts would shut 'em up here, James?!!!!

I mean, surely they must've had OTHER reasons for their moving from SoCal to the heartland, RIGHT?!

Uh-huh, like say like MY sole reason for movin' to beautiful picturesque Sedona Arizona and from THE best climate in all of these United States. THIS of course bein' that there is now WAY TOO MANY FREAKIN' PEOPLE and thus the TRAFFIC IS FREAKIN' HERRENDOUS in SoCal now days!

(...and something I'm reminded of every November when I attend that British motorcycle rally in the San Fernando Valley)
My guess is that they stopped their rants because they understood it was rude. Like I said they are nice and kind folks. To me it is rude when getting together with friends to be negative about where they live, their hobbies, their religion, politics, etc...
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: May 9th, 2024, 5:03 pm

Yeah, I like that show. I looked it up today and Paula has been on 27 seasons. Time to go!
Wow. I knew she had been on a long time but I never thought it was that long.
Yeah it might be time to bow out gracefully and give someone else a chance.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Dargo wrote: May 9th, 2024, 6:34 pm

Yeah, I was seeing and listening to lightning and thunder part of the night.
I wasn't sure what would be left when I woke up but everything was there
in its place.

I get a kick out of tornadoes and churches. If the church isn't hit it's a miracle.
If it is hit it's an opportunity to build a new, better church. Six of one...
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: May 9th, 2024, 8:35 pm
Hibi wrote: May 9th, 2024, 5:03 pm

Wow. I knew she had been on a long time but I never thought it was that long.
Yeah it might be time to bow out gracefully and give someone else a chance.
In years, its less than that as the show is on several times a year with overlapping between years, but she's probably been on close to 20 years now.

That Heartland show seems to focus on small hick towns where everyone knows each other and never lock their doors. Then after the murder no one trusts each other etc. (i.e. the real world!)
cmovieviewer

Re: Noir Alley

Post by cmovieviewer »

Noir Alley this weekend is featuring Follow Me Quietly (1949). Eddie mentioned last week that the film is one of the first to present the concept of a serial killer. At 60 minutes long, it is also one of the shortest films shown on Noir Alley. Eddie has previously introduced the film on the weekend of 10-28-2018.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041378/
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Re: the concept of a serial killer -- wouldn't that have started with 1929's PANDORA'S BOX? Then the 1937 NIGHT MUST FALL. Perhaps in the interest of accuracy Eddie will mention these two.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

And Fritz Lang's M, 1931.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Even going back further to one of Hitchcock's silents, from 1926: The Lodger.

Who would've imagined Hitchcock to make a film about a Jack the Ripper-like character? :smiley_chinrub: