No.
Bronxgirl48

Re: AFI's 25 GREATEST MOVIE MUSICALS OF ALL TIME

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I guess I mean no.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

It's difficult to pick the "greatest" American musicals.
Musica;s are my favorite movie genre, but I tend to go with ones I like rather than ones that scholars and critics would call "great."

So, my favorite American musicals are:

1. Cabaret [probably no surprise to anyone]
2. Victor/Victoria
3. Mary Poppins
4. The Sound Of Music
5. Funny Girl
6. Thoroughly Modern Millie
7. Calamity Jane
8. On A Clear Day You Can See Forever
9. Funny Face
10. Mamma Mia
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

My favorite movie musical never makes any lists ever. I saw a summer stock production of Li'l Abner as a kid and have loved it ever since. Interestingly, Paramount Pictures backed the creation of the Broadway show (1956) with the specific intention of making a movie version. The movie (1959) kept most of the original Broadway cast, with the notable exception of the Julliard-trained Edie Adams, who was replaced by non-singer Leslie Parrish, who admittedly could look more seventeen-ish on a movie screen. I can't think of another musical movie which built so literally on its stage roots by embracing the cartoonish phoniness in its sets, costuming and characters. I love the stupid fun of it all and especially the cleverness and pointed satire of the songs. I've heard it criticized as an elitist jab at the lower class, but in fact the jabs are left, right and center and the whole point is to laugh at ourselves, wherever we fall socially or politically. Is it sexist? Maybe, but Dogpatch is a matriarchal society and women call the shots. It's full of colorful nonsense, an abundance of energy and some laugh-out-loud performances, and it's my #1 no matter what choices AFI tells me I have.
"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: May 18th, 2024, 11:34 pm It's difficult to pick the "greatest" American musicals.
Musica;s are my favorite movie genre, but I tend to go with ones I like rather than ones that scholars and critics would call "great."

So, my favorite American musicals are:

1. Cabaret [probably no surprise to anyone]
2. Victor/Victoria
3. Mary Poppins
4. The Sound Of Music
5. Funny Girl
6. Thoroughly Modern Millie
7. Calamity Jane
8. On A Clear Day You Can See Forever
9. Funny Face
10. Mamma Mia
Well someone like me enjoys Julie Andrews.
I would like to see a 100 list from AFI.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Nothing much to quibble about. Maybe replace Guys and Dolls with Kiss Me Kate. Kathryn Grayson had her best role, and Ann Miller was equally good.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: May 17th, 2024, 7:00 pm Complete list...

STILL no Funny Face! :(
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 18th, 2024, 9:29 pm I guess I mean no.
One could never that you're "just a girl who cain't say no."
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Yes, there is a NO song by Doris Day. Try not to act surprised.
It was originally a 10 inch LP. That was probably not common back in the 1960s.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I've never heard that NO song. Wonder who wrote it?
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I Love Melvin wrote: May 19th, 2024, 8:08 am My favorite movie musical never makes any lists ever. I saw a summer stock production of Li'l Abner as a kid and have loved it ever since. Interestingly, Paramount Pictures backed the creation of the Broadway show (1956) with the specific intention of making a movie version. The movie (1959) kept most of the original Broadway cast, with the notable exception of the Julliard-trained Edie Adams, who was replaced by non-singer Leslie Parrish, who admittedly could look more seventeen-ish on a movie screen. I can't think of another musical movie which built so literally on its stage roots by embracing the cartoonish phoniness in its sets, costuming and characters. I love the stupid fun of it all and especially the cleverness and pointed satire of the songs. I've heard it criticized as an elitist jab at the lower class, but in fact the jabs are left, right and center and the whole point is to laugh at ourselves, wherever we fall socially or politically. Is it sexist? Maybe, but Dogpatch is a matriarchal society and women call the shots. It's full of colorful nonsense, an abundance of energy and some laugh-out-loud performances, and it's my #1 no matter what choices AFI tells me I have.
I love Li'l Abner and have the soundtrack on my phone. When I was a kid, I had both the original Broadway cast album and the film soundtrack LPs. I love the way the opening number -- "It's a Typical Day in Dogpatch USA" -- introduces all the characters.

I saw the Encores production at NY City Center in 1998. Lea DeLaria played the Stubby Kaye role. Julie Newmar, aged 65, reprised the role of Stupefyin' Jones, which she introduced on Broadway in 1956, aged 23.

Billie Hayes, who played Mammy Yokum on stage and screen, died in 2021, aged 96.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: May 20th, 2024, 1:03 pm
I Love Melvin wrote: May 19th, 2024, 8:08 am My favorite movie musical never makes any lists ever. I saw a summer stock production of Li'l Abner as a kid and have loved it ever since. Interestingly, Paramount Pictures backed the creation of the Broadway show (1956) with the specific intention of making a movie version. The movie (1959) kept most of the original Broadway cast, with the notable exception of the Julliard-trained Edie Adams, who was replaced by non-singer Leslie Parrish, who admittedly could look more seventeen-ish on a movie screen. I can't think of another musical movie which built so literally on its stage roots by embracing the cartoonish phoniness in its sets, costuming and characters. I love the stupid fun of it all and especially the cleverness and pointed satire of the songs. I've heard it criticized as an elitist jab at the lower class, but in fact the jabs are left, right and center and the whole point is to laugh at ourselves, wherever we fall socially or politically. Is it sexist? Maybe, but Dogpatch is a matriarchal society and women call the shots. It's full of colorful nonsense, an abundance of energy and some laugh-out-loud performances, and it's my #1 no matter what choices AFI tells me I have.
I love Li'l Abner and have the soundtrack on my phone. When I was a kid, I had both the original Broadway cast album and the film soundtrack LPs. I love the way the opening number -- "It's a Typical Day in Dogpatch USA" -- introduces all the characters.

I saw the Encores production at NY City Center in 1998. Lea DeLaria played the Stubby Kaye role. Julie Newmar, aged 65, reprised the role of Stupefyin' Jones, which she introduced on Broadway in 1956, aged 23.

Billie Hayes, who played Mammy Yokum on stage and screen, died in 2021, aged 96.
Charlotte Rae originated the Mammy Yokum role on Broadway. Hope Holiday (!) was her understudy (she played Mrs. Margie MacDougall in The Apartment, and is still with us). There was also a chorus member in both the Broadway and film version of Li'l Abner that gained later fame as a slightly pudgy New Yorker transplanted to Minneapolis: Valerie Harper. She was also in the chorus for Lucille Ball's stab at a Broadway musical: Wildcat.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Cinemaspeak59 wrote: May 20th, 2024, 6:52 am Nothing much to quibble about. Maybe replace Guys and Dolls with Kiss Me Kate. Kathryn Grayson had her best role, and Ann Miller was equally good.

Agree about KISS ME KATE.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 20th, 2024, 12:12 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 18th, 2024, 9:29 pm I guess I mean no.
One could never that you're "just a girl who cain't say no."

Yes, me and Gloria Grahame.