I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

KayFrancis wrote: May 19th, 2024, 12:59 pm Roman Brady ?
All I can think of is “Kristen” but I didn’t think she came around until the mid 1990s…

(Lexie too)
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Lorna wrote: May 19th, 2024, 1:44 pm
KayFrancis wrote: May 19th, 2024, 12:59 pm Roman Brady ?
All I can think of is “Kristen” but I didn’t think she came around until the mid 1990s…

(Lexie too)
EDIT- wait I see where I misread your post- sadly, while I am well-versed in days of our lives during the 1990s, it was impossible for me to catch it during the 1980s because it was on at 1 o’clock and I was just always at school then.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Please, God tell me she’s not named “Calliope”…
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Besides Roman also Bo or Hope Brady? I was done watching Days by the end of the '80s, I watched Days from the very beginning, also Another World
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

KayFrancis wrote: May 19th, 2024, 2:33 pm Besides Roman also Bo or Hope Brady? I was done watching Days by the end of the '80s, I watched Days from the very beginning, also Another World
Lorna wrote: May 19th, 2024, 1:47 pm Please, God tell me she’s not named “Calliope”…

It wasn't Calliope.

But my cousin was named after one of the Bradys.

My cousin was born in 1988 by the way.

PS. Whenever I hear "Kristen," I think of Susan Banks ("mean, mean, mean.")

I watched DAYS OF OUR LIVES mostly in the 1990s.
I also occasionally watched it on SoapNet before SoapNet ended.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

My introduction to daytime soaps was the ABC soaps.
The woman that my sister & I stayed with after school recorded all of the ABC soaps.
The one my sister and I liked the best was ALL MY CHILDREN.
We didn't really care for GENERAL HOSPITAL.

Our aunt (my mother's sister) later introduced us to DAYS OF OUR LIVES.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Masha wrote: May 19th, 2024, 11:23 am Image
For some reason, my first thought when I saw this actress's face was "Agnes Moorehead?". :roll:
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

LiamCasey wrote: May 19th, 2024, 7:39 pm
Masha wrote: May 19th, 2024, 11:23 am Image
For some reason, my first thought when I saw this actress's face was "Agnes Moorehead?". :roll:
I’ve never seen Agnes Moorehead’s thighs. The face is puzzling.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Masha

Post by Masha »

LiamCasey wrote: May 19th, 2024, 7:39 pm
She was: Patricia Laffan(1919-2014). I love IMDb.com's description of her: "A statuesque and striking actress with vaguely reptilian aspects ... " https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0480784/?ref_=tt_cl_t_11

I do see distinct resemblance to Ms. Moorehead.

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

In the b&w photo she looks just like Agnes Moorehead, not as much in color
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 19th, 2024, 5:45 pm My introduction to daytime soaps was the ABC soaps.
The woman that my sister & I stayed with after school recorded all of the ABC soaps.
The one my sister and I liked the best was ALL MY CHILDREN.
We didn't really care for GENERAL HOSPITAL.

Our aunt (my mother's sister) later introduced us to DAYS OF OUR LIVES.
My grandmother watched all those old NBC soaps. She left her TV on NBC all day because she didn't want to get up to change the channel. I didn't like the soap operas (there were a lot of them in the late 60s and early 70s) but I did watch the NBC game shows with her.

My mother watched As the World Turns (brought to you by All Tempa Cheer - can still remember the voiceover announcer), The Edge of Night and Love is a Many Splendored Thing when I was young, but switched to All My Children in the mid-70s. A lot of the soaps were actually produced by Procter & Gamble in house and sold to the networks, so nearly all the ads were P&G products on those soaps.

I started watching AMC in the early 80s and continued to follow it as best as I could in the summers and when I went off to college. Once I started working, I stopped watching it. My college roommate watched Another World, because his HS girlfriend did.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Lorna wrote: May 19th, 2024, 10:08 am
CinemaInternational wrote: May 18th, 2024, 5:48 pm
At the risk of sounding like Jimmy Carter, there was a "malaise" that settled in over films in the second half of the '70s. This is not to say that there weren't some excellent titles that were still released in these years. What is true though is though that there were a convergence of events that come to fruition both in the industry and in the public, which led to several wandering years.
There are FAR WORSE former Presidents to emulate than MR. CARTER, so it's cool- no worries.

Thank you, that was a really deep and thought provoking post on 1978 in film and the 1970s in film in general- anyone who is reading this, I highly recommend you go back and read the whole thing- it pointed out some things about the decade in film that had never occured to me.

there really was no decade like the 1970s when it came to film, and this from someone who has (like yourself) only seen the films as a sort of post-mortem, neither one of us was alive (or in my case, cognizant) for the entire decade. and no offense to those of you reading this who were, but thank GOD.

Lord, it was such an aesthetically challenged time in HISTORY. Really, where MOD went to DIE.

in fact, when I was about 7 or 8, my sister (who was born in 1973) and I watched THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY on HBO and she kept kidding me about how THIS PARTICULAR FILM WAS MADE THE YEAR I WAS BORN- AND HOW IT PERFECTLY CAPTURED ALL THINGS HAPPENING IN 1978, and I don't think she realized HOW PERSONALLY I TOOK IT- REALLY TO THE CORE, and felt a degree of shame over being born in 1978- aka THE NADIR OF FASHION, FILM, ART DESIGN, AND POPULAR CULTURE.

(Again, those of you alive in the 1970s, I am SO SORRY for all of this)

anyhow, I am ultimately glad that I left so many films of the decade unwatched because it's been like finding unopened presents under the tree the day after christmas- i've seen so much from the 30s and 40s and 50s and 80s and 90s.

it's only been in the last 10 years or less that I've seen CABARET and DOG DAY AFTERNOON and GODFATHER II and THE LAST PICTURE SHOW and (I could go on and on)
There are those who believe th 1970s were one of the great Hollywood decades, maybe the greatest, but I am not among them. The late 60s/early 70s were a grim time. The George Floyd protests were reminiscent, but on a much smaller scale. Because of the Vietnam War, America was closer to revolutionary talk than in the lifetime of those of you who are younger. The combination of black militants and white middle-class college students, both opposed for different reasons to the Vietnam War, was the essential spark. Once the war started winding down, this very loose but essential alliance fell apart and, in effect, the country was waiting for Reagan ("It's morning in America"). People tended to speak of this era as "the 60s." I knew that "the 60s" were dead the day I saw An Officer and a Gentleman (1982). Salvation through military service? Taken seriously by, well, just about everybody?

The college student radicals (a treasured word to them)--the word "progressive" was never used at this time in any political context--were opposed to the war because they didn't want to be killed (reasonable), wanted to have sex right now (well, OK) and thought their **** didn't stink (questionable). If anything you read about this era sounds vague, unformed, and out of focus, that catches the spirit. By and large, these people were smarter than the Trump-serrectionists of January 2021, but didn't come nearly as close to doing anything serious to--get ready to boo at the word--"the establishment."

On to the druggy 1970s. Yes, many people, and many in Hollywood, were on various kinds of drugs. A friend from this era said she could identify which drugs the makers of various films were on. To those who loved the music of the 60s, no word could possibly be more vile than "disco." Both music and lyrics were radically simplified. Don't think, just get up out on the floor, and boogie oogie oogie till--well, you get the picture. Meanwhile, gay lib was getting underway, if intermittently, and women's lib was a big, big thing. The media--a term not really used until this decade--was heavily invested in the women's lib issue, of all kinds and at all intellectual levels.

The 1970s were a bad time for New York, as several people noted recently in these pages. New York meant high crime and racial tension. Nixon had a Southern strategy, but the big switch of the South from solidly Democratic to solidly Republican hadn't happened yet. Jimmy Carter was a Democratic governor of Georgia. The whole blue state/red state concept hadn't appeared.

The 1970s were the hot era for self-help books. I remember going to a guy's apartment and his bookshelves were evenly divided between gay fiction and self-help books.

This is the psychic and political and drug-induced morass from which 1970s films came.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Little Shop Of Horrors (1986) TCM 9/10

A nerdy florist (Rick Moranis) discovers a man eating plant.

I watched this again last night, it is one of my favorite musicals. I saw it when first released and several times since then. The songs are terrific and it hooks you right away with the girl group sound of a Greek chorus (Tischina Arnold, Tisha Campbell and Michelle Weeks). Moranis has a surprisingly nice singing voice. Ellen Greene has a great set of pipes as Audrey, she was in the original off Broadway production. Steve Martin is hilarious as the sadistic dentist. Levi Stubbs of the Four Tops provides the voice of Audrey II, the man eating plant and he is great as well. I love all the songs but my favorite may be "Skid Row" which is reminiscent of many great Broadway musical numbers, I remember being stunned at how well done it was when I first saw it.
The original play had a much darker ending but a happy ending was tacked on for the movie. I think that was the right decision, the dark ending was filmed and I saw it on Youtube, it worked on stage but was wrong for the tone of the movie.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 17th, 2024, 5:18 pm
Hibi wrote: May 16th, 2024, 8:37 am
kingrat wrote: May 15th, 2024, 5:48 pm Yes, I had a great-aunt named Gertrude, an aunt named Ethel. My parents were introduced by a woman named Edna. When I was looking up Max Showalter, his parents were Ira and Elma Showalter. We have to remember that Gertrude and Ethel were the Taylor and Madison of their day. Or that Taylor and Madison will once seem as absurdly old-fashioned as Gertrude and Ethel do now.
Yech. Madison. I'd change my name if I was named that. Faced with those options, Gertrude doesn't sound half bad!
Madison. That name wasn't used at all for girls until Splash was released in 1984, and Daryl Hannah's mermaid took the name from the famous NY avenue. So now we have two generations of girls and young women named for Daryl Hannah.
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could see a guy named that.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: May 17th, 2024, 7:02 pm Yes, Alma is back as a Spanish name, pronounced "Ahlma." The name from the past was "you can call me Al-ma."
What movie character was named Alma? I seem to remember one.