Noir Alley

Hibi

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: May 20th, 2024, 9:34 am
Hibi wrote: May 20th, 2024, 8:48 am No one watched Police Van? I liked it (up to a point). Had a lot of style. I gave up trying to follow the plot after a half hr.in and decided just to be entertained. Too many characters and I couldn't keep them all straight. But I was never bored. Some really good sequences. Of course, the plot was hard to swallow when you started thinking about it, but a fun time watching it unfold. I guessed who "Mr. Big" was.
I also watched Take Aim at the Police Van and am glad Eddie showed it. That opening sequence was really well directed. It was even cool in the credits that we saw the warning signs in reverse order, then again in correct order after the movie proper began. Like you, I couldn't follow the plot too well and keep all the characters straight, but there were some really good moments and interesting camerawork. A guy wants to see what's behind a curtained entrance, and out falls a naked woman with an arrow in her breast! What??

One brief incredible shot: guys in a hot springs swimming pool in a glassed-in room, and outside, waves are breaking on the shore. The location shooting was cool, too. I'd take this over The Big Knife and Follow Me Quietly any day.
NO KIDDING! LOL. Yeah, that arrow in the breast was novel!
Andree

Post by Andree »

TAATPV, pretty entertaining and a cool title too. I also became confused about the
plot details, though the overall idea was not too hard to follow. The guy out for
revenge against the people who killed someone he was associated with, even
though it was just other criminals. He was likely more in it to soothe his embarrassment
to the killings happening on his watch. An American gangster flick with some added
touches. I loved the scene where the officer and his female companion are put in
the gas truck and then the bad guys light the trail left behind by the gas. Not very
believable but fun to watch and an original way to get rid of people.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: May 20th, 2024, 4:13 pm TAATPV, pretty entertaining and a cool title too. I also became confused about the
plot details, though the overall idea was not too hard to follow. The guy out for
revenge against the people who killed someone he was associated with, even
though it was just other criminals. He was likely more in it to soothe his embarrassment
to the killings happening on his watch. An American gangster flick with some added
touches. I loved the scene where the officer and his female companion are put in
the gas truck and then the bad guys light the trail left behind by the gas. Not very
believable but fun to watch and an original way to get rid of people.
Yeah, I really enjoyed that sequence. Why not just shoot them? Much easier.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Happens all the time. The bad guys are sadists or have a bizarre sense of
humor and come up with some elaborate way to kill people instead of just
shooting them in the head. Simplify, simplify.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: May 20th, 2024, 4:51 pm
Andree wrote: May 20th, 2024, 4:13 pm Happens all the time. The bad guys are sadists or have a bizarre sense of
Yep, pretty much just a variation on...

"Do you expect me to talk?"
-"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!"

I enjoyed TAATPV as well, but yes, the gasoline tanker truck scene was just one of the many instances in the film in which our intrepid protagonist could have been easily dispatched with, but wasn't.

And yes, I also figured out early that the villain behind it all had to be none other than Yuko's father.

(...and speaking of her, the most unbelievable aspect to the whole movie for me was that she was supposed to be some kind of raving beauty and according to what many other characters in this film said about her throughout the picture...and personally, well, lets just say I saw many other women in this flick who I thought were much better looking than she was...that barmaid for one...although of course, this sort of thing being purely subjective...just sayin')
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Dargo wrote: May 20th, 2024, 11:12 pm
Hibi wrote: May 20th, 2024, 4:51 pm
Andree wrote: May 20th, 2024, 4:13 pm Happens all the time. The bad guys are sadists or have a bizarre sense of
Yep, pretty much just a variation on...

"Do you expect me to talk?"
-"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!"
Or every episode of this:

cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

This weekend's Noir Alley selection is Bad for Each Other (1953), starring Charlton Heston, Lizabeth Scott, and Dianne Foster. As part of TCM's Memorial Day Weekend Marathon theme, the film has Charlton Heston playing an Army colonel and doctor who returns home to Pennsylvania on leave after serving in Korea.

This is the first time Eddie has presented Bad for Each Other on Noir Alley.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045534/
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I just saw it a few months ago on TCM. I think I'll skip it. It was ok. Not really a noir.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

cmovieviewer wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 3:02 pm This weekend's Noir Alley selection is Bad for Each Other (1953), starring Charlton Heston, Lizabeth Scott, and Dianne Foster. As part of TCM's Memorial Day Weekend Marathon theme, the film has Charlton Heston playing an Army colonel and doctor who returns home to Pennsylvania on leave after serving in Korea.

I have this on a multi-movie DVD set. Watched it once, I think, long time ago. Not particularly impressed, but may watch it again. But, there is also a British car show at the same time in a nearby city so may have to opt for that. Will probably try to find Eddie's intro and outro on YouTube.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

cmovieviewer wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 3:02 pm This weekend's Noir Alley selection is Bad for Each Other (1953), starring Charlton Heston, Lizabeth Scott, and Dianne Foster. As part of TCM's Memorial Day Weekend Marathon theme, the film has Charlton Heston playing an Army colonel and doctor who returns home to Pennsylvania on leave after serving in Korea.

I've seen the film a few times and I don't see any noir themes, as well as no noir visuals. Instead, it is a poorly directed melodrama, were Liz Scott, and her rich full-of-themselves friends are highly unlikeable. Thus, the title of the film should have been Bad for Any Man!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

ElCid wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 3:16 pm

I have this on a multi-movie DVD set. Watched it once, I think, long time ago. Not particularly impressed, but may watch it again. But, there is also a British car show at the same time in a nearby city so may have to opt for that. Will probably try to find Eddie's intro and outro on YouTube.
So then Cid you're sayin' you're usually much more impressed with the looks and the performance of Jag E-types, Austin-Healeys, Triumphs and MGs than you were with Chuck's and Lizabeth's looks and performances in this movie then, right?!

(...well, after just now seein' this flick has only garnered a "5.8" rating in the IMDb website, I can certainly see why this would be) ;)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I guess it was chosen to fit into the Memorial Day theme. In the past did they preempt Noir Alley for Memorial Day? It's really stretching it showing this on Noir Alley. I found the film disappointing and predictable, but worth seeing once just for some of the actors.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Dargo wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 6:32 pm
ElCid wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 3:16 pm

So then Cid you're sayin' you're usually much more impressed with the looks and the performance of Jag E-types, Austin-Healeys, Triumphs and MGs than you were with Chuck's and Lizabeth's looks and performances in this movie then, right?!

(...well, after just now seein' this flick has only garnered a "5.8" rating in the IMDb website, I can certainly see why this would be) ;)
Well I can always record or find Noir Alley movies and usually Eddies intro/outro. But, seeing lots of Classic British cars is a once a year thing at best.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

sorry......... :smiley_sick: :roll:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

ziggy6708a wrote: May 26th, 2024, 8:18 pm

sorry......... :smiley_sick: :roll:
Yep, ziggy! Lizabeth sure wasn't much of a "femme fatale" in THIS one, was she.

Yep, the only way this one had a chance in even being halfway memorable, would've been if she pumped a couple of .25 cal rounds in Chuck's back as he walked out on her there at the end.

(...nah, probably not even then, huh)