Invitation to a Gunfighter (1964)

kimpunkrock

Invitation to a Gunfighter (1964)

Post by kimpunkrock »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058238/

This is a great western starring Yul Brynner and George Segal. I am a huge fan of this movie and own the DVD. There are some very funny moments in this picture. Once again The Westerns Channel gives this film good rotation.

Who else likes this film?
"Wars may come and wars may go but art is forever."---Leslie Howard in the 49th Parallel
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hi kimpunkrock,
Welcome, I'm glad you made it over to the Oasis. Death of a Gunfighter is a wonderful film. I always enjoy Yul Brynner in westerns (The Magnificent Seven is one of my very favorites). I hope you'll consider adding your knowledge of westerns to our Choose the Best Western thread. You get to list your top 15 westerns. The competition is open for new entries until Friday night, I'm sure we'd all appreciate your insights on the genre.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
kimpunkrock

Post by kimpunkrock »

That is really funny how you called the film Death of a Gunfighter instead of Invitation to a gunfighter because originally the thread was going to be about that Richard Widmark western but when I typed in the subject I put "Invitation" instead of "Death of". That is so crazy and it really goes to show how everyone is connected on other levels of consciousness.

Death of a Gunfighter is also a great western. I have been looking for that song by Lena Horne called "Sweet Apple Wine" but I cannot find it anywhere. It looks like she only recorded it for the film and there is no existing outside recording of the song, which is a shame because it is one beautiful song.

cheers
kim
"Wars may come and wars may go but art is forever."---Leslie Howard in the 49th Parallel
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

It must be this Seattle weather giving us a mental connection. A silly goof on my part though.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
kimpunkrock

Post by kimpunkrock »

For real though this thread was suppose to be about that film. So your goof is a supernatural one for sure.

:lol:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I have mentioned Death of a Gunfighter at least 20 times on this Western thread in relation to several different movies, in fact just the other day in relation to Mitchums' Man with a Gun, but I never thought to compare 'Death' and 'Invitation'. I don't know why but I didn't care for Yul in 'Invitation'. There was something about his attitude, normally I like his self-assuredness, but in this, it's grating. i like the movie, but just him is what confuses me.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************