Flynn/De Havilland at their best as the Custer's

stuart.uk

Flynn/De Havilland at their best as the Custer's

Post by stuart.uk »

I know a lot of people will disagree with that assesment. Miss G will probably say Captain Blood as it's her favourite Flynn role and others will understanbly say The Adventures Of Robin Hood as it's the best film of its kind ever made. however, while i believe 'Robin' is a better film, i think They Died With Their Boots On is the movie more than any other that shows of Errol Flynn and Olivia De Havilland as a great screen couple.

one of the reasons i think so is in the other Flynn/De Havilland master pieces is that in the rest of them Errol is by far the dominate of the two with in some cases Olivia on show for decoration, but IMOin TDWTBO she is more or less is equal as Libby Custer to his General George Armstrong Custer. so much so i think it was a pity Olivia couldn't have done a sequal, showing the widowed Libby right up until the early 1930s promoting what she saw as her husband's good name. another reason is that the last scene of Flynn/De Havilland ever seen was the best thing as a couple they ever did together where they both know Custer is going to his death, but neither will admit it to each other
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

What a coincidence! I just watched this movie this morning on DVD.

It is a very good movie, and, yes, the scenes of Flynn and de Havilland are superb. I like their meeting, in which he has to keep silent and walk post, while she doesn't know this and thinks he is being rude to her.

And of course, the departure scene is terrifically heartbreaking.

All in all, this was a very good movie, an attempt at an American epic.
kimpunkrock

Post by kimpunkrock »

They Died with Their Boots On is one of my favorite Flynn films of all time. It was one of the first films besides Robin Hood of Flynn's that I saw.
It is a great, great picture. Olivia and Errol are beautiful together in this picture. The film also has one of the best titles for a film ever.

-
kpr
"Wars may come and wars may go but art is forever."---Leslie Howard in the 49th Parallel
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

The parting scene in They Died with Their Boots on is my single favorite scene featuring the legendary couple. I feel that Errol and Olivia are saying "farewell" to each other (it was their last film together), not just in character.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Miss G
seemingly not long after Errol's death, a still young Olivia burst into tears and fled the room where she was watching a screening of the film
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I like to believe they really were in love with each other. It would reflect to his credit if he did.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

if true and it very well might be. it's a case of despite his many conquests the women he really loved escaped him
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

stuart.uk wrote:if true and it very well might be. it's a case of despite his many conquests the women he really loved escaped him
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Miss Goddess and Stuart:

She was most definitely in love with him, she almost, but skirts around, the declaration in her interview with RO. He was married at the time they worked together, and in addition to cheating on his wife, he also cheated on Olivia and she knew she wouldn't put up with that. Once they parted, she never watched any of his movies until years later after his death while she was living in France, but she was pretty frank about having an affair with him.

She told a story of being angry with him while he was hot and heavy with some other 'lady', so she kept messing up the farewell scene so he had to keep kissing her over and over again, and he still cared for her so he was pretty 'uncomfortable' after a few takes with his tight, tights on.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ken123

Re: Flynn/De Havilland at their best as the Custer's

Post by ken123 »

In her autobiography " Tis Herself " Ms O'Hara relates how she & " Livvy " are such good friends. :D