Alice Faye

ken123

Alice Faye

Post by ken123 »

Now seems almost forgotten. I hope that she isn't ( forgotten ) on this forum ! :cry:
Ayres

Re: Alice Faye

Post by Ayres »

ken123 wrote:Now seems almost forgotten. I hope that she isn't ( forgotten ) on this forum ! :cry:
When I was a teen one of our public TV stations in Atlanta frequently showed old Fox musicals, and I got to see loads of Don Ameche, Sonja Henie, John Payne, Carmen Miranda, Cesar Romero, Betty Grable flicks. Of all these folks, my fave was Alice. What a lovely caramel voice. I remember being particularly impressed by the song "No Love, No Nothin'" from The Gang's All Here. Quite suggestive in its way, and so romantic. She looks so lovely singing it.

Just an aside: Is there a way to check the spelling of posts?
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

If the lovely and talented Alice Faye had more exposure on TCM she would not be forgotten.
Since TCM don't have much access to her 20th Century-Fox films we are out of luck and she remains dormant.
I catch her films on occasion on the Fox Movie Channel and she is a joy to behold in Technicolor. Also love her voice.
Joseph Goodheart
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Alice Faye

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I love Alice Faye, too!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Moraldo Rubini

Fayed Away?

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

mongoII wrote:...Since TCM doesn't have much access to her 20th Century-Fox films we are out of luck and she remains dormant. ...
Well, "dormant" might be a little strong... after all, the Alice Faye DVD Collection was just released, thus keeping her alive (or available for resuscitation anyway).

That contralto voice of her's is pretty swell. She was always leaning against something (a palmtree, window pane, pillar), casting her big doe eyes toward the moon and singing her velvet upholstered notes.

I love The Gangs All Here, of course; but am curious to see more of her work from the 1930's...
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

One of my favorites from Hello, Frisco, Hello:

You'll never know just how much I miss you
You'll never know just how much I care
And if I tried, I still couldn't hide my love for you
You oughta know, for haven't I told you so
A million or more times?

You went away and my heart went with you
I speak your name in my ev'ry prayer
If there is some other way to prove that I love you
I swear I don't know how
You'll never know if you don't know now

(Words by Mack Gordon, Music by Harry Warren)
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I would be very interested in hearing comments from anyone who has seen clips or the new release of "The Gang's All Here".

I'm familiar with the controversy over the color but I am looking for folks who have actually seen it and care to comment.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

filmlover

Post by filmlover »

My first "encounter" with Alice Faye was around 1962 when I saw the film, State Fair, but as I was stunned by Ann-Margret in the same film, it was many years before I realized that Faye was in the movie.

Seeing her older films now, I have much more of an appreciation for her. She had style and sass at the same time, not an easy combination to pull off. And a good singing voice. Even now, just discussing her here, I can hear her sing "You'll Never Know" in my head, and realize no one could ever do it as well as she did.

And I don't think she will be forgotten entirely. Even now, the Alice Faye Film Collection is one of the few box sets they carry over at Costco, so I am sure a lot of people will look at it and wonder who she is. And even that can start one person on the way to becoming a fan.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I saw a snippet of film almost thirty years ago while we were setting up a film tribute for Verna Fields.

The film clip had nothing to do with Mother Cutter (Fields' nickname) so I always surmised it must have been one of her favorite moments from a film.

I think it was Alice Faye dressed in a gay nineties type dress and hairdo. I think the dress was purple and she was wearing a hat. Looked like one of those ladies in the old Coke advertisements (what was that style called? grr? I used to know. I wanted my hair done that way for my wedding many years ago).

Anyways, Alice (at least I think it was Alice) was singing this heartbreaking song of love and loss in close up.

What was this film and what was the song? Anyone know?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Moraldo Rubini

Fayned Lillian

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I think it was Alice Faye dressed in a gay nineties type dress and hairdo. I think the dress was purple and she was wearing a hat. Looked like one of those ladies in the old Coke advertisements (what was that style called? grr? I used to know. I wanted my hair done that way for my wedding many years ago).

Anyways, Alice (at least I think it was Alice) was singing this heartbreaking song of love and loss in close up.

What was this film and what was the song? Anyone know?
Surely, this was Alice Faye's 1940 "biopic" Lillian Russell, about the famous turn-of-the-century singer who was discovered by famed producer Tony Pastor.

I believe the hairdoo that you're trying remember is "The Gibson", made famous by the Gibson Girls -- turn-of-the-century cover girls, illustrated by the painter, Gibson.

Now the song... that's more difficult. She sings many songs in this movie... "After the Ball is Over", perhaps?
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

***HAPPY BIRTHDAY*** to Alice Faye today.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Never did care for The Gang's All Here! There was something hollow in that film. I don' know if it was the photography, sound, or what?
Of course, the Banana number with Carmen was FABULOUS! But, that was about it for me.

I have always liked Alice. Betty never replaced Alice, she was just "in addition to." My favorite Alice movies are Poor Little Rich Girl, with Shirely, On The Avenue, with Powell and Madeline Carroll, Alexander's Ragtime Band, with Tyrone, and Tin Pan Alley, with Betty and John Payne!

That Shiek of Araby number with Betty and Billy Gilbert is an ALL TIME WINNER!
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

One of my favorite films of her is "Weekend In Havana" with John Payne. It featured nice dance sequences and musical numbers along with the funny Leonid Kinskey, Carmen Miranda, and Cesar Romero to make it more enjoyable.

I posted this picture on the TCM board but no one seemed thrilled about it. Maybe you all might enjoy it here. Most of the time I see a certain animosity towards fox film stars and I'm not sure why.

sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

It does seem that the Fox stars aren't as well-loved as the MGM and Warner stars over at the TCM boards, it's true. I also wonder why that is? Less exposure? It does seem as though less people get the Fox Movie Channel, than TCM. But Fox does do a good job at getting lots of their films out on dvd.

A puzzlement...(to quote a well-known Fox musical)

Sandy K