I just wish I could get it

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Judith, we don't always agree :roll: but on Steve McQueen: BOY, HOWDEE!!!! He was a gorgeous guy. I know some have knocked his performance in "Love With the Proper Stranger" but I thought the movie, and he and Natalie Wood were terrific. His befuddlement at the intricacies of actually dating and the emotions that played over his face when he and she were in the taxi were so moving. That movie is my favorite McQueen role.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

One of the things I really like about McQueen is that to me his image is that of a hunky, but realistic-looking man. Whatever he may have been like in person, on the screen he looked like a real man (I mean an actual, walking around in the street male, not a "real man" as in he-man) who just happened to be rugged and sexy, but approachable.

This particular photo brings to my mind the movie poster that was out all over the place recently introducing Daniel Craig as the new James Bond. I thought Craig was very McQueen-ish in Infamous, the film about Capote's experiences writing In Cold Blood.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

One McQueen film that has not been mentioned is The Cincinnati Kid (1965). A nice film with a great cast.

I'm with you about Ford and Hitchcock ChiO. While I think both are great directors and I enjoy them (my father browbeat me with both as a child), I'm somewhat taken aback by the blatant all encompassing worship they recieve. Oddly enough, it's Fords non-westerns that really grab me, although My Darling Clementine (1946) is an exception.

Ditto on your musical references as well. You sure you're not my long lost brother? 8)
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on March 13th, 2008, 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm sorry I still don't get Steve McQueen, he's a little craggy looking for me although I would love to watch Love With A Proper Stranger. I think what really disappointed me was The Thomas Crown Affair for years I'd been told how this was the sexiest movie ever, not for me I'm afraid!

One film I do get but I have seen it slated is Life Is Beautiful I suppose it's like The Great Dictator for some it is making fun of a very serious event. The father and his little boy just broke my heart. It brought the horror home to me just as much as Schindler's List did.

Am I the only one with this opinion?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I'm sorry I still don't get Steve McQueen, he's a little craggy looking for me although I would love to watch Love With A Proper Stranger. I think what really disappointed me was The Thomas Crown Affair for years I'd been told how this was the sexiest movie ever, not for me I'm afraid!
Does it make me a bad person if I like the Pierce Brosnan version of that movie better then the McQueen version?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

See, now, I find most of the movies McQueen was in to be immaterial. Some were OK, some not - not important to me - I just like to look at him.

I guess I like a man with a lived-in kind of face, although I like some of the "pretty" ones just as well.

Have I told my story about talking to a boy, Tommy was his name, at a summer job? He looked so very much like Steve McQueen (and, as I remember, he had these incredible navy blue eyes). He was gorgeous.

So I'm at a desk flirting with him, and we're talking and laughing, and I was holding a stapler in my hand, and at some point, I clicked the stapler, and the staple went right into my palm. Friends, I never missed a beat -- I kept right on talking and smiling and batting my eyelashes until he walked away. And then . . . . . !!!! That's what Steve McQueen means to me.
Last edited by jdb1 on March 14th, 2008, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

jdb1 wrote:See, now, I find most of the movies McQueen was in to be in immaterial. Some were OK, some not - not important to me - I just like to look at him.

I guess I like a man with a lived-in kind of face, although I like some of the "pretty" ones just as well.

Have I told my story about talking to a boy, Tommy was his name, at a summer job? He looked so very much like Steve McQueen (and, as I remember, he had these incredible navy blue eyes). He was gorgeous.

So I'm at a desk flirting with him, and we're talking and laughing, and I was holding a stapler in my hand, and at some point, I clicked the stapler, and the staple went right into my palm. Friends, I never missed a beat -- I kept right on talking and smiling and batting my eyelashes until he walked away. And then . . . . . !!!! That's what Steve McQueen means to me.
:( Ah, that unrequited love.... can be very painful!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

JohnM wrote:From you pain comes my laugh for today. Thanks Judith!!
The very definition of slapstick comedy :D
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Charliechaplinfan:

It's not that the movie Thomas Crown Affair was so sexy, the closeup kiss between him and her where the camera swirled round and round, was the longest kiss on record up to that point - I guess supposedly making it sexy.

jdb: Once again we agree on the lived in face - that's how I am with my Bob Mitchum at one point around 40 he WAS handsome, but after about 50 he became craggy, lined, lived in and gorgeously sexy to me.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Steve McQueen and I were born in the same hospital in Beech Grove, Indiana.

That's it -- my closest brush with fame. 8) I missed out on the "cool" vaccine he must have received.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

McQueen was very likely a natural, but according to his friends he practiced his "cool" moves most assiduously -- he learned, by doing, what the movie-going public liked, and he made a conscious effort to give it to them. I know I'm grateful.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Bogie wrote:
Does it make me a bad person if I like the Pierce Brosnan version of that movie better then the McQueen version?
No, it's probably one of the only films when I like the remake better than the original.

I like Robert Mitchum's lived in face :D It's Steve McQueen's I don't get :D Wouldn't do for us all to like the same.

Judith I love your story about the Steve McQueen look a like and the stapler. Now if I met someone who looked like a young Errol Flynn or Cary Grant at any age I'd have stapled my palm too :lol:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hey, John, I love Noel's version of the song, too. In fact, I rather liked everything he did, in his sort of speaking/talking style. He performed a lot of Jacques Brel and other European songs on American TV -- things we might not have otherwise heard.