Desert Island Discs

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Bette Davis Eyes (1981), Theme from "A Summer Place" (1960) and Mack the Knife (Bobby Darin version, 1959) - 9 weeks

Physical (1981), You Light Up My Life (1977), Sincerely (McGuire Sisters version, 1955), and Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White (1955) - 10 weeks

Omitted from earlier post: End of the Road (Boyz II Men, 1992) - 13 weeks
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

JohnM:

Interesting you put The Carpenters "A Song For You." Good album and underrated too.

Judith:

"Here Comes The Moon" is such an interesting choice. You mentioned both versions. Is that on a remastered CD? I have the original vinyl. Are you a post-Beatles Harrison fan or just like the song?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Movies:
Out of the Past (1947)
Mon Oncle (1968)

Albums (sorry I gotta have the whole record)

The Beatles: Revolver (1966)
Soundgarden: Badmotorfinger (1992)
Todd Rundgen: A Wizard, A True Star (1973)
Marvin Gaye: Let's Get it On (1973)
Freddie Hubbard: Red Clay (1970)
Herbie Handcock: Inventions and Dimensions (1963)
David Torn: Tripping over God (1994)
Miles Davis: Kind of Blue (1959)

Book: Cancer Ward Alexander Solzhenitzyn

I guess my luxury item would be a computer so I could watch and listen to things on the internet.
David

Post by David »

Again I'm overwhelmed with the response from everybody. Keep it coming. Many of your selections are in my favourites on YouTube but of course we can sadly only pick eight records.
David

Post by David »

I now move on to the 60s and 70s.

1960s

Well it simply has to be something by the Beatles who absolutely dominated the 1960s, but which one to choose because they made so many great songs. In the end I opted for I Am A Walrus which I think only ever appeared on an album. I have chosen this because it has John Lennon at his weirdest and best and is complete nonsense like a lot of British humour. I think it was twenty years ahead of its time.

1970s

No contest here I'm afraid, Love Will Keep Us Together-Captain and Tenille (1975). I first heard this on holiday in Wales in August 1975 which was a memorably hot summer in the UK. I fell in love with it straight away. Captain (Darryl Dragon) was the son of Carmen Dragon the conductor of the LA Philharmonic Orchestra and was formerly the keyboard player for the Beach Boys. Toni Tenille studied classical piano at college and the song was written by the great Neil Sedaka, one of the greatest pop song writers of all time. The song topped the US charts for four weeks and went on to become the biggest selling record in the US during the 1970s.

80s and 90s to follow.
EleanorPowellFan

Desert Island Discs

Post by EleanorPowellFan »

My Eight Records would be:

1. Pennies From Heaven - Billie Holiday, this song is so wonderful and a big favourite of mine which I could not live without of.

2. Livin' in the Sunlight, Lovin' in the Moonlight - Bernie Cummins, this song is the best and just reminds me of a fun life.

3. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing - Duke Ellington, have loved this song ever since I was little and first heard it in the movie "Corina Corina".

4. Sugar - Billie Holiday, another sweet tune I coudn't live without of.

5. Soul Bossa Nova - Sergio Mendez and Brazil '66, HOT!!!!!!!!

6. Best of my Love - The Emotions

7. Rock with You - Michael Jackson, reminds me of 70's disco.

8. Yes Sir I can Boogie - Baccara, no other dance disco group has ever produced a finer song than this!!!!!!!

For a book I would instantly take, Lewis Carroll's 'Alice in Wonderland'.
Ever since I was a child I always have loved this book, I really think it's because the book is so strange and wacky that it really makes me think, hmmmmmm what is Lewis Carroll trying to portray here, what does he mean by it all, what is behind it all and basically was the some of the book based on his own sickness in mind? Who knows!!!!!

For a luxury Item I would take my dear old record player and a few ex
tra records if the records are allowed with the player.

The two films I would take would be Gold Diggers of 1933, I'd take this film because it really is a good kick me up for myself and no matter how many times I watch it it will always keep me smiling for day on end.

A movie made up of Eleanor Powell dance routines, for obvious reason :lol:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My eight musical pieces are:

Copland's "Appalachian Spring."
Brahms' Piano Concerto No. 1
Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony
The Beatles - "Revolver"
Alan Parsons - "Try Anything Once"
The Rippingtons - "Topaze"
Jane Olivor - "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows."
The Moody Blues - "Every Good Boy Deserves Favor."

Book: Something from Groucho Marx.

Films - "Horse Feathers" (The Marx Brothers) and "Silverado" (because it's all kinds of westerns rolled into one.)

Luxury item: Computer.

It's not that these are the best things but I could use them over and over because it will get pretty boring there.
Chris

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

movieman1957 wrote: Judith:

"Here Comes The Moon" is such an interesting choice. You mentioned both versions. Is that on a remastered CD? I have the original vinyl. Are you a post-Beatles Harrison fan or just like the song?
Yes, Chris, the acoustic version - just George with guitar, no background, is the last track on the "George Harrison" CD. It's lovely -- just as lovely as the ethereal full version in its own way.

I'm a big fan of George and his music, and his very sly sense of humor, which I think was overshadowed in the public consciousness by his Eastern leanings. Such a philosophy requires one to think, and that turned off most of the record-buying public. You didn't have to make so much effort to listen to Sir Paul. (I have no objection to his tuneful opus, but I think he's wasted his considerable talents.)

A review of the lyrics of Harrison's works reveals a very thoughtful, insightful, clever, human, and ultimately positive, being.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

jdb1 wrote:
A review of the lyrics of Harrison's works reveals a very thoughtful, insightful, clever, human, and ultimately positive, being.
I agree. I wasn't always thrilled with the production of the songs but I always found them interesting and at times funny. "This Song" is a hoot if you know the background but I didn't care for the way it sounded. It always sounded too thin for me. I enjoyed "When We Was Fab" and the sound of "Cloud 9" more.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Well, if I cannot have Gary Cooper for my luxury item, :( then how about a case of Krug champagne to wash ashore once a month? If I drink enough of it I will see Gary in 3-D anyway. :P
David

Post by David »

Champagne is fine, but it better be an unlimited supply lol.
David

Post by David »

Now the final two decades, the 80s and 90s.

1980s

Here again there was no contest. It's Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel(1986). I loved this record immediately I heard it, a brilliant semi-rock record. Peter Gabriel was a former member of the group Genesis before going solo. However the clincher is the video which for me is the greatest pop video of all time. It was created by Nick Park of Wallace and Grommit fame at the beginning of his career. It is absolutely amazing.

1990s

I know she's a complete mess but it has to be (Hit Me) Baby One More Time by Britney Spears (1998). What a fantastic record this is. I love the bass notes on the piano. In my opinion Britney Spears is one of the few world stars and has amazing talent otherwise she wouldn't have survived and is still successful. I love the video too, all those schoolgirls grrrrowl lol!

OK that's my eight records, book and luxury item to follow
benwhowell

I will survive...

Post by benwhowell »

Records
"Night And Day" Billie Holiday
"Empty Bed Blues" Bessie Smith
"Just A Little Lovin'" Dusty Springfield
"My Favorite Things" John Coltrane
"God Only Knows" Beach Boys
"Femme Fatale" Velvet Underground with Nico
"Nikki" Burt Bacharach
"Wig" B-52s

Book
"Shock Value" John Waters

Movies
"To Kill A Mockingbird"
"The Wizard Of Oz"

Luxury Item
An IPHONE (?)
Handsome Johnny Eck
David

Post by David »

My book is "The Moon's A Balloon" by David Niven and is highly appropriate for this site. It is David Niven's autobiography and chronicles his early life at Stowe school, England and his subsequent move to Hollywood and success in films like "Around the World in 80 Days". David Niven was a fantastic raconteur and the book is replete with amusing anecdotes and stories of the stars including his good friends Bogie(Humphrey Bogart) and Bettie (Lauren Bacall)

My luxury item is a computer. I'd like it to have broadband and wifi but ths would probably not be possible on a remote desert island. So I'll just have to use it to write those short stories and novel I always said I would. I'll have plenty of time and few distractions.