The Mikado?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
ziggy 6708

The Mikado?

Post by ziggy 6708 »

This is my 1st post. Been kind of intimidated by all the knowlegeable posters, but what the heck!
Anyone catch Gilbert & Sullivans' THE MIKADO last nite?
Always been a fan of theirs, but didn't know any of their plays had been filmed (except maybe PIRATES...).
Was sorry to hear the filming of other plays was stopped because of the war (according to R.O.)
Have it recorded, so not seen it yet. Just wondered if anyone here had seen it and what they thought.
Thanks--- :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Ziggy, and Welcome! I don't know very much about movies, just enjoy them. I missed the Mikado, hope it is shown again, soon.

Never be shy about posting on this board. Sure, there are some really knowledgeable people here, but the great thing is, they love to share, inform, and encourage the rest of us. All opinions are pretty much respected, sometimes challenged, but never never never denigrated. So jump in, the water is fine!

Nancy
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The closest I've seen anything of it are clips of Groucho Marx playing the main part in a TV production from the 60's.

I only know "Pirates" because my son was in a college production.

I hope you'll share your thoughts after you get to see it.

Glad you finally joined in. I hope we get to hear from you more often.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Ziggy,
Let me just repeat my friend's advice, come on in. Not only is the water fine, but there are no sharks in these waters whatsoever!

I had Mikado on my record list but something else came up last night and I didn't record it. I would love to hear your take on it once you get a chance to view it as I've never seen it.

Again, welcome, make yourself at home.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Welcome Ziggy! No need to worry about other posters, the natives are friendly here.

I did see about half of The Mikado before the sandman won me over. It was very colorful, with some good singing and the Gilbert and Sullivan charm peeking through at times. It was quite stage-bound, but as long as you accept that fact, it will probably be enjoyable, though there are said to be cuts such as "I've got a little list" . I thought that Kenny Baker as Nanki-Poo was only slightly jarring--and far more likable than he usually was in Hollywood productions in which he appeared to be Dick Powell's even more duck-like rival! I hope you enjoy it. Other than lots of recordings of G & S played over and over by my parents (who often slipped in G&S quote such as "things are seldom what they seem, skim milk masquerades as cream" whenever they were disappointed to discover their offspring's feet of clay), the terrific movie Topsy-Turvy (1999) is my main exposure to G & S over the years, so who am I to judge?

Please share your opinion with us when you've had a chance to see the movie.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks