100 Years of Mel.

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

What a lovely thought. I've always admired his talent. I've seen him in the old Jack Benny shows and thought him grand but that was small compared to his days at WB.

I thought it such a gift to essentially argue with himself through all those cartoons. It is a unique gift among screen talent. Like you I can't imagine those cartoons being near as good as they were with someone else doing the voices. 8 minutes of genius.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Happy Birthday, Mel!!
[youtube][/youtube]
srowley75

Re: 100 Years of Mel.

Post by srowley75 »

¡Ciao! Patsy wrote:
Happy birthday, and thank you.

Bryce
Very well said!

He left an indelible mark on pop culture that can't be underestimated, yet few today know him by name.

I'm reminded of that animation cel released shortly after his death: a host of cartoon characters facing an empty microphone, heads bowed, under the heading "Speechless."

-Stephen
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Mel, the screen actor.
[youtube][/youtube]
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Here is the picture Stephen mentions.

Chris

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Happy Birthday, Mel!

I hold him in highest esteem because of his contributions to the greatest Silver Screen actor of all-time -- Daffy Duck.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

How can you say that!!!!! Porky Pig all the way, Chi0!!!!!!! Then Daffy, then Bugs....followed closely by Elmer, Foghorn, and Yosemite Sam.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

How can you say that!!!!! Porky Pig all the way, Chi0!!!!!!! Then Daffy, then....
Oh, you poor misguided creature.

Not to belittle Porky Pig's contributions to cinema, for he was a fine character actor, but he never showed the range or depth of characterizations that Daffy Duck did time and time again, both as a lead and supporting actor.

Please, watch DUCK DODGERS IN THE 24-1/2th CENTURY, DUCK AMUCK, and THE SCARLET PUMPERNICKEL each daily for a week, then call me.
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ah, Chi0, it must be that Lake Effect weather that has muddled your brain. Porky's entire body of work speaks for itself. Comedy, Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi... A porcine star in all genres. Who else could put up with the shenanigans of D. Duck, B. Bunny, and the rest of that Looney Bunch? Sorry, my friend, you may know Noir, but you don't know splat about PPPPPPorky.............
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
benwhowell

Post by benwhowell »

Thanks for creating this thread, Bryce.
I saw that picture in some magazine and thought it was a wonderful tribute...I cut it out and placed it in a magnetic frame. It has been on my refrigerator since...
Handsome Johnny Eck
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I loved Daffy until he wound up as stooge for Speedy Gonzalez. I think Bugs was best. (Tweety gets an honorable mention.)

He did it all. He was space explorer. gold miner, symphony conductor, was bothered by Bogart for a loan, and drove Yosemite Sam absolutely out of his mind.

"Dadburn rabbit."
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Me and my friends are ready!

Chris

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

but you don't know splat about PPPPPPorky.............
Ooooh, now ya gone and done it. Ya got me ornerier than a gilt when you step on one of her babies. I was raised on a dangnab hog farm (or, as my Dad was fond of saying: "Smell that, Son. It smells like money." and "I was at the elevator this morning, Son, and Roy said that you weren't fit to eat with the hogs. But I told'im you were."). I know those nasty needle-toothed PPPPPPorky critters.

Perhaps they are the reason I'm a noir fan. Me holding a young boy pig by his hindlegs upside-down with his pelvis held tightly between my knees with my Dad -- the ex-WWII Navy nurse & his kit that he had on Okinawa, et al. -- slashing a scalpel turning the young boy pigs into barrows....Oh my, talk about feeling that you have no control over life and that Fate conquers all.

And "splat" is a cow sound. "Splonk" is more porcine.

Daffy rules. Porky drools.

Bryce -- You should never come close to alluding to provocative issues such as even mentioning anything related to Warner Bros. cartoons. Pretty soon Dewey's going to come along and claim that Krazy Kat and Little Lulu are better than any of them...and that does mean war. I'm holding you personally responsible for the mayhem.