The Monster Show by David J. Skal

Chit-chat, current events
bettyjoan

The Monster Show by David J. Skal

Post by bettyjoan »

Well, since I am a relatively new poster I hope you will forgive me :? if I mention a wonderful book that you've probably ALL been talking about for some time. - Just found it at the local library: "The Monster Show" by David J. Skal. It is described on the cover as 'A cultural history of horror'. I've only finished a few chapters but it is wonderful reading and so informative. - The book jacket also mentions another book of his called "Hollywood Gothic: The Tangled Web of 'Dracula' from Novel to Stage to Screen. - If anyone has some further feedback r/t either book I would be humbly grateful.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

"The Monster Show" is a terrific book. It isn't a history of the horror film but what Skal calls "monster culture," basically the role that monsters play in American culture (so he looks at things like Famous Monsters of Filmland, etc.)

A very interesting book with tons of original insights. My only gripe was that Skal basically ignored Hammer horror because it was British, whereas I would say since they played on American TV so much those films need to be mentioned.

"Hollywood Gothic" is a fascinating look at how Dracula went from being Bram Stoker's book to a 1931 Universal film. He has a lot about the stage productions of the 1920s, and he makes the good point that Universal essentially was more interested in adapting the play than the movie when it made the 1931 film.

Skal has also written "Screams of Reason," a look at 'mad science' in the movies and pop culture. It was okay, but not as successful as "The Monster Show." However, his discussion of UFO sightings and alien abduction accounts seemed very level-headed and perceptive to me.
bettyjoan

Skal's Monsters

Post by bettyjoan »

Thanks for your insights MikeBSG. I'm just into the chapter where Skal begins to discuss the American reaction against the influx of German horror film art. I remember seeing about 3 minutes of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and I had to sign off: it as well as their Nosturatu (sic?) were too close to something inside of me - I suppose that 'dark subconscious' that they are created to tap, Sort of dream-horror scapes.

'Caligari' manifested a sense of the fatalistic void some dreams dish up. All those impressionistic sets arching up off into nothingness. - And 'Nostfuratu' (sorry about my lousy spelling! = :oops: ) was an agonizing creation that I could only view for just so long. (Silly me had the same experience with Frankenstein, although I read the entire book.)

Maybe there ought to be essays written about chicken-hearted, "faint-hearted" folks like me. - Horror scares me cause it's too close for comfort. Truth be told, I had one of those 'tragic childhoods' you hear tell about and maybe that's why: Too many hard truths experienced left me with too many exposed nerve endings. And when horror flicks are effective, I end up tuning out.

- I love the original Dracula but you will never, ever find me watching Hannibal Lector or that guy with the chain-saw. - Same phenomenon happened years ago with my reading. Used to read Stephen King, expecially the original edited The Stand, but then he 'stepped over the edge'. Some folks might think I"m missing out on a lot, MIke, but I just think there's gotta be limits.
bettyjoan

Skal's Monsters

Post by bettyjoan »

- A P.S. to MikeBSG r/t Skal's other book you recommend: I will check it out. I, my husband and some associates had a UFO experience in the early 80's - "They're HERE!" :)