WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I have been watching several Mary Pickford pictures directed by Marshall A. Neilan. First Daddy-Long-Legs (1919). Mary is an orphan in a very grim and nasty asylum. Her life is changed when she gets an anonymous benefactor whom she calls Daddy-Long-Legs...
This Neilan picture is really delightful. It' not maudlin. I love the way she grabs things that she wants like the doll of that spoiled rich girl. Same with the last scene which could quite cloying: it's in long shot and we don't see the two characters as they are hidden by a armchair. We just notice Mary's legs dangling on the side. Very cute.

Then I watched Stella Maris (1918). This one was written by Frances Marion and it shows. The story has such a dark side, we could be -nearly- in Greed's territory. Mary plays two parts: the spoiled rich crippled girl protected from the outside, Stella Maris and the plain ugly duckling orphan Unity Blake. I was mostly very impressed by the scenes between Unity and her tormentor Louise Risca (Marcia Manon). This woman is a violent alcoholic who doesn't hesitate to beat Unity to a pulp. But she will get her retribution at the end...
Mary gave a smashing performance as Unity. She is walking with a strange gait and is incapable -at first- to understand what love means. Her departure from the orphanage was shown in such crude details: she tries to bid goodbye to a few girls who ignore her or grab what gives them without even a thank you.... As for the scene of the murder, we are nearly in a film noir! :shock: The lighting on her face as she prepares to open the door is staggering! Really a great film! 8)
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Gagman 66, The print on the Kino edition of Hypocrites does have some substantial nitrate deterioration early in the film, but it gets much better as the film progresses and overall, the image is quite nice; and there’s a marvelous piano score by Jon Mirsalis that really helps the film.

The DVD also contains a wonderful 2-reel short directed by and staring Cleo Madison, Eleanor’s Catch, which contains a neat little twist, the less said the better.

Despite the fact that I find Lois Weber’s films lacking in subtlety, I still find them fascinating and worthwhile viewing. Since the retail price of the DVD is $19.99, I would heartily recommend picking up the DVD (as well as the others in the set), if for no other reason then to encourage Kino (and other DVD producers) to continue releasing some of the “lesser known” silent titles.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Yes, you're right about that. Silents also always have a value, since they offer insights into their time. And there are few enough films available that were made by women directors from the silent era. Minority groups get ignored too. You get a pretty one-sided perspective of what society was like.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Stella Maris and Daddy Long Legs are amongst Mary's best films. Sparrows is another very good one. You've summed up for me what is so great about them. Stella particularly felt very Dickensian to me.

Last night I watched Love Em And Leave Em. An interesting film starring Evelyn Brent as a good big sister, Mame, who has promised her mother that she will take care of her sister Janie (Louise Brooks). Janie is a bit of a rascal. Coming in at all hours, gambling and losing and men. Mame has an understanding with Bill (laurence Gray) and all three of them work in a department store. Bill proposes to Mame, who asks him to wait until they are in better positions. She goes on leave to the country and whilst away her fiancee to be is seduced by her sister. Coupled with the fact that Janie has managed to gamble away all the funds for the office party. Good sister Mame manages to put everything right again.

Although Janie has no redeeming qualities, she doesn't really seem bad. Just misguided and as always for Louise Brooks, she looks gorgeous, which is a difficult thing to do next to Evelyn Brent who is gorgeous too.

I imagine this was the kind of film a guy wouldn't mind accompanying his girl to.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

I rewatched The Crowd for the 3rd time, and was again very impressed. There's a lot of great camera work, from the use of expressionist imagery to the almost documentary-like feel of the street scenes.

I keep thinking how bold it was to tell the story of a remarkably average man, someone who isn't especially smart, talented, ambitious, or handsome, and who doesn't really accomplish anything other than getting an $8 dollar raise. Even today filmmakers don't really go near such an ordinary story or character.

And the ending reminds me alot of The Graduate(another favorite), in that superficially it appears quite happy, but upon further reflection it's actually quite depressing.

Anyway it's easily my favorite silent film, and I love King Vidor's work in general, but even without my biases I would urge everyone to check it out.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

"Daddy Long Legs" was my first Pickford film and remains my favorite. Mary got to age from childhood to adulthood, and she did so quite convincingly. Plus the sight gags with the children and the dog getting tipsy were priceless! Neilan and Pickford were the perfect meld in this one!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Synnove wrote:
CCfan and MichiganJ: I've long put off seeing The Passion, but now I'm putting it on my list!
Watch it as soon as possible. It's possibly the finest film ever made, and every time I'm asked for my top movies, that goes on top. A brilliant film in every way.
charliechaplinfan

I wish I'd seen it ages ago. It's going to the top of my silent list for our poll.

I watched Ella Cinders again last night. A much better copy than the one I had, thanks for the lend Gagman. It's a beautiful print and it showcases what a good comedienne Colleen Moore was. This is another film of the era that gets behind the scenes in Hollywood.

No wonder Colleen headed up the list of biggest silent stars for the end of the twenties. She was very entertaining in the Hollywood TV series, a good raconteur.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

I agree with everyone about The Passion of Joan of Arc. Great film.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

The first time I saw Passion was on a video tape I bought from a company that prided themselves on their Silent film presentations, saying they were all presented with “acuview” or some such nonsense. Anyway, gullible me, I purchased the tape (along with a few others) and put it in as soon as it arrived. Well, I learned that “accuview” translated into slow motion. This 82-minute masterpiece ran 120-minutes, and, since it was an experimental film, shot almost exclusively in close-ups, the film was tedious beyond measure. On one of the long shots I recognized that the speed was wrong, and literally watched the rest in fast forward. Not, I repeat not the way I’d recommend seeing this film! (By the way, one of the other videos I got was Keaton’s The General, a film I already had, but since their running time was 106-minutes and the version I has was, something like 75-minutes, I thought I was getting a more “complete” edition. You don’t know agony until you watch Buster Keaton’s perfectly timed comedy in the wrong projection speed!) This fiasco was one of the reasons I started buying laserdiscs...

The Criterion Collection has a superb edition of Passion, with a wonderful score (although Dreyer was said he’d prefer it be shown without music at all), plus their usual assortment of goodies.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

The Passion of Joan of Arc is an amazing achievement in the fact that it deals with a subject that has is no chance for story development. Dryer nevertheless created one and gave one of the purest accounts of suffering ever seen on film. It’s a powerful testament to what cinema can achieve and how far we’ve fallen since the oncoming of sound.
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on June 14th, 2008, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdp

Post by bdp »

MichiganJ wrote:The first time I saw Passion was on a video tape I bought from a company that prided themselves on their Silent film presentations, saying they were all presented with “acuview” or some such nonsense. Anyway, gullible me, I purchased the tape (along with a few others) and put it in as soon as it arrived. Well, I learned that “accuview” translated into slow motion.
I rented this company's version of Buster Keaton's 'College' and also ended up watching in fast forward. At this company's 'correct' speed, every time Buster took a pratfall he floated to the ground. I also seem to remember that 'Accuview' not only meant slow-motion but incredibly dim, theirs were some of the faintest silent film presentations I have ever seen.

And full agreement on 'Passion of Joan of Arc.'
charliechaplinfan

The Passion of Joan of Arc is linked in my mind with another great Dreyer movie Day of Wrath because of its suffering. Another great thought provoking movie.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Your reviews are great, everyone. I appreciate this thread so much!

I went to a film festival in Stockholm about Women on the Silent Screen, and saw seven very rare films.

The first was a Mary Pickford movie which was long thought lost: The Dawn of Tomorrow. This film from 1915 was recently rediscovered in the Swedish film archive, and restored. The print was worn, but there was no decomposition, and Matti Bye had written a music score for it.

The Dawn of Tomorrow is melodrama, which from what I have seen is typical of that period. It's based on the eternal lie, that poor people are happier than the rich, because only they can know true happiness. Still, it's a worthwhile film to watch, because of Mary Pickford, and also the other actors. There is barely any overacting here, I was astonished by the good performances all around. Mary shines, and gets to show what she goes for in a few luminous closeups. In 1915 she's already an expert, she's very natural and brings an earnestness to her role which could so easily be soppy and cliché.

I am so glad that this long lost movie was rediscovered! It only seemed awkward in a few places, as if there were scenes missing. I had trouble following the story during the murder sequence, I didn't get who killed who for a long time. This could either be my natural slowness in following plot developments, or it could be that the Swedish censors had cut some key bits there. I know they grew squirmish at the slightest hint of violence. Oh well. Thanks to restoration work and reconstruction of the original intertitles, most of the movie is intact today.

The next day I saw six more films:

Billy's Stratagem directed by D. W. Griffith
This short film isn't one of his more remarkable biographs. I love most of the Biograph short films I have seen, but this one mostly stands out in my mind for its hilariously horrible depiction of the Native Americans, who attack a settlement simply because they're drunk. The brave Billy of the title is played by a girl, hence, I think, why it was shown at this festival.

The Couragous Coward directed by William Worthington, and starring Sessue Hayakawa.
After having seen The Dragon Painter, I enjoyed watching this film fragment with some tender scenes between Sessue Hayakawa and his wife Tsuru Aoki. The story is about a man who is shamed by accusations of cowardice, but he can't prove that the accusations are unfounded, because then he will betray a friend. Sadly, the story is confusing because only the final scenes of the film survive today. But, like I said, they were worth seeing, and Sessue Hayakawa and Tsuru Aoki had a lovely chemistry together. In the end, he asks her if she's going to abandon the fox trot and the twostep, and she laughingly says yes. I wonder if this was just a dig at the big city life?

Umanitá directed by Elvira Giallanella.
Umanitá was a movie made for children in Italy at the end of WWI, and I think it's the most interesting film on the programme. In fact, it is a unique anti-war movie, made just after the war had ended, when the trauma of it would have been fresh in the minds of even younger children. A boy has a dream about how he and his sister are the only humans to have survived an apocalypse brought on by a great war. They climb out of the rubble, and find themselves on a desolate battlefield. There are no corpses there, only helmets, weapons, bits of broken machinery and a whole army of empty boots lined up. All human life has been completely obliterated. Now it is the task of the boy and his sister to rebuild the world, with the help of God, who in the child's vision really is an old man in the sky. Still, the boy ends up making the same mistakes as his forefathers did.

At certain times, this movie is a bit amateurish and low budget, and towards the end it's rushed - which could be due to missing scenes. But, given that this was when movie makers had just started taking baby steps, I think it's a wonderful film. Elvira Gaillanella was on to something. The scenes in the beginning, when the children explore the battlefield, are particularly powerful in their horrifying, deadly stillness. The children are depicted with humour though, like when, since in the beginning she had climbed out of bed to steal marmelade, the boy discovers his sister in a huge jar of jam later on in his dream. The dream has an appropriate level of surrealness too. Sometimes it feels very genuine indeed.

Kaerlighed og Penge (Love or Money) This Danish movie from 1913 is very light and pleasant. It's about how a woman deals with her numerous admirers, who only love her for her money. Finally she puts the love of the man she cares for to a test, by pretending to have lost all her riches. All the while she's laughing behind her fan, almost as if she's playfully winking to the audience to join in her joke. It was very enjoyable to me, because it had no unnecessary drama.

Pas de Femmes! (No Women!)
A French farce from 1920, about an antifeminist who gets... not quite his just deserts, more like he finds redemption in the love of a good woman. Which is also satisfying. This anti-suffragist is a charicature of a misogynist, he can't stand being near women and lectures his hapless son about the virtues of celibacy. The son immediately goes on to fall in love, and tells the girl: "I have long swum in the waters of errancy. Please, don't let me drown in them." The girl doesn't. This movie doesn't have much to do with reality, since it's so exaggerated, but it's a lovely comedy.

Wanda's Trick
Wanda, who works in a cigarette factory, charms her boss, discovers she has won the lottery and uses that to further cigarette sales by saying that the one who buys a packet with her picture in it gets to marry her. Rather like in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, this causes cigarette sales to soar, as everyone hopes to win the golden ticket to her lottery money.

The humour in Wanda's Trick is very gentle, and on the whole the movie moves a bit slowly. Sometimes it's very funny, like in the restaurant scene where Wanda has to deal with her future husband, who not the kind of man she would have wished for. Satisfingly, Wanda ends up a partner in the cigarette company, and stays that way! The happy ending doesn't in any way mean she has to leave her job. I liked that, although the number of cigattes smoked in the film made me edgy.

The festival gave me an invaluable glimpse of another world. It was a good experience.
Last edited by Synnove on June 15th, 2008, 7:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Thanks to a friend, I got to see "The Red Kimona" last night starring Priscilla Bonner as Gabrielle Darley, a young girl who was tricked into prostitution, and was based on a true story. Priscilla Bonner gives a very sympathetic and touching performance as the victimized young woman, and you follow her life from the time that she meets her seducer and shoots him as he is about to marry another, until the typical happy ending where she is completely reformed.

Of interesting note, this was one of Mrs.Wallace Reid's social commentary films, along with "Human Wreckage", that she made after her husband's death. Also, Mrs. Reid used the real name of the heroine, and was later sued by her for a sizeable amount for invasion of privacy. Some things never change! 8)
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard