Dame Vera and Dame Gracie, war time sweethearts

stuart.uk

Dame Vera and Dame Gracie, war time sweethearts

Post by stuart.uk »

I imagine it's difficult for those not around at the time, but these two women were huge stars in the UK at the time of WW2.

Dame Vera Lynn didn't make any films of note, but her We'll Meet Again and The White Cliffs Of Dover were a huge inspiration to both the lads overseas and the folks at home, calling her the forces sweetheart. She continued to be successful with her on tv series in the 70s and did her bit again during The Falklands war in the 1980s. Now retired, she now lets Welsh diva Catherine Jenkins sing We'll Meet Again. Catherine has also toured Iraq. When on what I think was his first UK tour Barry Manilow was looking for a song to close his shows. he picked We'll Meet Again, a song Vera also sang on the soundtrack of Dr. Strangelove

Gracie Fields I thought was shabbily by the British media, despite her war time efforts. Already an instituition with Films like the 1931 Sally In Our Alley, Gracie was married to Italian film director Monty Banks by the outbreak of WW2. With Italian's seen as the enemy Gracie decided to move to neutral America with Monty, but was called a traitor by the British press for her actions. What made the attack really sickening was Gracie not long had a major cancer operation and was ordered by Doctors to take a yr off. despite this warning Gracie ingnored the advice and went overseas to entertain the British troops. I first saw Gracie perform when in her 70s. She was a regular performer on the God/slot show Stars On Sunday. In her last appearence on a Royal Command Show, she closed the show singing her theme song 'Sally'. Afterwards she commented that 'I've been singing a man's song all my life.'
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Dear Stuart,
I'm so glad to see you posting again. I missed your informative and unique takes on films and people much more than you know. Thank you for being a pal and returning to our site.

First of all, let me say that, of what I've seen of Gracie Fields, I adore her. My exposure is through two American films that she made with Monty Woolley during WWII, Holy Matrimony (1943) and Molly and Me (1945). In a style that is a bit like a no nonsense English Thelma Ritter, she brings her down to earth warmth and beautiful speaking and singing voice into the lives of those she touches. I just thought she was great, knew she'd had a theatrical career in England and was dimly aware that there was some controversy surrounding her life. As usual, you've opened up an aspect of this figure that I hadn't given much thought to before. Thank you again.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Moira

Gracie had what was basically an arranged marriage with her manager, the actor Archie Pitt, who was openly seeing his girl friend, while Gracie happily concentrated on her career.

Then she married Monty Banks, but he died young of a heart attack as he and Gracie travelled by train. she then moved from the UK to Capri with her third and lasting husband, but she still kept on working almost right to the end.

Gracie was born in Rochdale and was known affectionaltly as Our Gracie. It's been suggested that her sense of homour didn't travel well to America, as Bill Rodgers struggled over here.

I think Gracie might have been a link between old time British music hall
and the more modern type of entertainment of the 1930s and beyond.