TV Themes

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

There are many TV tunes that I love, but I'll start by mentioning the great Mission Impossible theme by Lalo Schifrin. I can't listen to that wonderful theme without seeing that fuse burning!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Being a big fan of TV private eye shows I would have to lodge a vote for Henry Mancini's brilliant score for PETER GUNN. Mancini also did the music for another show from that period, MR. LUCKY, which was also pretty terrific (the music, not the show). My other favorite is Elmer Bernstein's electrifying music for JOHNNY STACCATO, John Cassavetes' brilliant, short-lived series from 1959-60. The Mancini material is easily obtainable on CD; the Staccato music only on (high-priced) vinyl. Two others that now come to mind are M-SQUAD, the awesome late 50s Lee Marvin cop show with pulsating, brassy music compliments of Stanley Wilson and Count Basie and the 1959 MIKE HAMMER series with Darren McGavin featuring truly exciting music by Skip Martin. Both of these soundtracks are readily available on CD and fans of big band, jazz inspired noir-induced music should definitely investigate.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"The Rockford Files" is my favorite theme. Mike Post my be the best TV composer.

Also thought "The Equalizer" had a pretty cool theme.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Rawhide and Bonanza had great opening themes IMHO. :wink:
benwhowell

Post by benwhowell »

I always loved the melancholy theme song from "The Bob Newhart Show." And the music of Earle Hagen-from "The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis" to "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman."
klondike

Post by klondike »

Ahh, but can any other theme match that of The Jackie Gleason Show, for pure force of summoning a mood?

I can't swear to it, but I seem to recall that the original name of that piece is "Melancholy Serenade", and I think it might just have been composed by The Great One himself.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

THE BRADY BUCH theme always did something to me, but I had better not say what. :wink:
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

John -
With respect to M-SQUAD and JOHNNY STACCATO: episodes of both shows are readily available on eBay, both on VHS and DVD. Quality is apt to be variable but worth the risk, especially in the case of JOHNNY STACCATO. An absolutely astonishing program! I own all twenty seven episodes and have watched them numerous times. All great!
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

This is probably my favorite. Although the theme from Peter Gunn ranks right up there.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I loved that Barnaby Jones theme, too!

Also, jondaris, clever how you suprised me with "Have Gun Will Travel!"

Enjoyable faves: Mission, Impossible, Rockford Files. I seem to have revered listening to the theme of The Flying Nun for some odd reason, but I haven't heard it in ages. Rawhide, Bonanza, Cheyenne, SUgarFOOT, Peter Gunn, Secret Agent Man, Hill Street Blues, Bob Newhart, Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke, The Untouchables, and Jackie Gleason's theme are all some of my favorites. And don't forget The Jetsons!

John, I tried to listen to Room 222, but I couldn't access it. All your other links worked perfectly!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor