This Is Dedicated to the Ones We Love

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Thanks. I saw it -- I was interested to hear him cite "Rain" as his favorite Beatle song.

This is a guy who has improved on all levels with age (I think he's also better looking now than he was then, don't you?). He is a smart, gracious and charming personality, who has no illusions about his limitations as a performer, and has been very frank about his failings. And he doesn't seem to suffer from the surfeit of ego that his sole surviving bandmate seems suffused with.

In an era of generally unwarranted celebrity-worship, Ringo is a reminder that you can be one of the richest and most famous people on Earth, and still want not much more than to be able to keep working at a job you like, make music with your friends, and try to be a nice guy.
Vecchiolarry

Marisa Pavan

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Judith & Nancy,

I'm a little late here chimimg in on Marisa Pavan:

I was introduced to her in 1955 on the set of "Diane" (a Lana Turner picture).
Marisa was playing Catherine De Medici, a rival of Diane De Poitier for Henry II, played by Roger Moore (I never met him!)....

The picture proved to be unsuccessful but is a pretty good depiction of history and well acted, especially by Pavan.
I was all for launching a Best Supporting Actress campaign for her but the film did so poorly (and ended Lana's MGM contract) - - (and maybe Marisa's too ???), that an Oscar bid was out of the question.

On another level:
Marisa Pavan had a very successful marriage to Jean Pierre Aumant and was introduced to him after dear Paulette Goddard got finished with him!!!!

Larry
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Judith:

That is the beauty of Ringo. Confident in what he can do but no bragging about how good he thinks he is. He knows his limitations and knowing that doesn't try tp be more than he is. A unique style. A genuine nice man.

I would agree that he has grown into his looks. Unless the beard covers it up he doesn't seem to suffer the same age lines (let's call them) that Paul seems to be showing.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I like Ringo too. He doesn't seem to have an ego.

A year or so ago I read an interview that said the Ringo's talent wasn't for the drums but for keeping the band going and together. That was his big contribution to the Beatles history.

Paul McCartney does have an ego, I can forgive him.:wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

I've been a Beatle's fan since I was 12 and dug an old copy of Sgt Pepper's out of a box of garage sale stuff at my grandma's (it was my rebel-biker-going-straight-to-hell uncle's album). My son knew the names of all the Beatles by age 2 (and had a goldfish named Ringo). We have a rule in my house (and car) that if a Beatles' song comes on, the station may not be changed. (It was amended recently that as the parts are not as great as the whole, solo efforts can be switched off)
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Alison:

Ringo was indeed the peacemaker. He was often asked to go around to whoever was out of sorts to calm them down and have them back.

Speaking of drumming Ringo said in the show I mentioned that he doesn't have a trick but he is left handed playing a drum kit set up for a right handed drummer.
Chris

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

It's July 10, and for reasons unknown, there are quite a few notable birthdays today. Must be the alignment of the planets. Anyway, here's a partial listing (informally, I stopped at anyone under 50 because there are so many names, and I got tired of writing them down):

Nikola Tesla (Croatian-American scientist; electronics pioneer)
Marcel Proust (French novelist)
Noble Sissle (songwriter; jazz pioneer; wrote lyrics to "I'm Just Wild About Harry")
Slim Sumerville (actor)
Jimmy McHugh (songwriter)
Carl Orff (German composer - "Carmina Burana")
John Gilbert (actor)
Mitchell Parrish (songwriter/arranger)
Evelyn Laye (British singer/actress)
Lili Damita (actress; married to Michael Curtiz and Erroll Flynn)
Joan Marsh (actress; primarily juvenile roles)
Don Herbert (TV's "Mr. Wizard")
David Brinkley (TV journalist; news anchor/commentator)
Eunice Kennedy Shriver (a Kennedy)
Jake LaMotta (boxer; subject of the film Raging Bull)
Jean Kerr (American playwright)
Earl Hamner, Jr. (screenwriter; created The Waltons)
Don Costa (composer/arranger/songwriter)
Carelton Carpenter (actor)
William Smithers (actor)
Nick Adams (actor)
Sandy Stewart (singer)
Lawrence Pressman (actor)
Mavis Staples (singer - The Staples Singers)
Ian Whitcomb (British singer/songwriter/musicologist)
Arthur Ashe (American tennis champion)
Virginia Wade (ditto, only Enlgish)
Ron Glass (actor)
Sue Lyon (actress; the first movie Lolita)
Arlo Guthrie (folk-rock singer/songwriter; keeper of the Woody Guthrie flame)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

A birthday today: Tab Hunter

Then:

Now:

I don't think he looks like an "Arthur" (his real name) in either picture -- he looks like a "Tab"
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Two birthdays of note for Classic Movie fans today:

First, the great Barbara Stanwyck (Yay, Brooklyn!)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Also born on July 16, the always entertaining character actor

Percy Kilbride

You know, the little I've read about him indicates that he was probably as far removed from the character of Pa Kettle as a man could get. And yet, he was Pa Kettle, wasn't he?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

July 17 is the birthday of one of Hollywood's Reall Big Stars --
to my mind, the sexiest actor Classic Hollywood ever produced:

James Cagney
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Judith:

Thanks for doing these. It's nice of you to keep this up. I enjoy them.
Chris

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

You are welcome.

I love browsing through these photos of our favorites. In terms of availability online, there is a shocking lack of photos for some of the earlier players -- you really have to be creative to find images, and look at some pretty obscure websites that you might not even think would have any such things.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I also say "thanks!" I loved Mongo Joe's Birthday thread, and I really enjoy this one. Thanks, Judith!

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Any time.

I just went through the whole thing to take out the blank photo spaces - the ones taken back by the Net. I don't see how I can know what's going to be allowed to remain here and what gets revoked. But at least we can enjoy the photos for a few days.