A Military Coup ?

Chit-chat, current events
ken123

A Military Coup ?

Post by ken123 »

National Review online has an article by conservative economist Thomas Sowell saying that a military coup might put an end to the degeneracy that this country is sliding into. Those strict constructionist conservatives are sure a hoot. :cry:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Take out that paragraph and there seems little with which to argue.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CoffeeDan

Get it right the first time . . .

Post by CoffeeDan »

Here's the EXACT quotation:

"When I see the worsening degeneracy in our politicians, our media, our educators, and our intelligentsia, I can’t help wondering if the day may yet come when the only thing that can save this country is a military coup."

Sowell isn't advocating that solution. He's just afraid that things might get so bad that it might be the only solution. Different thing entirely.

Agreed, it's a terrible thing to comprehend. But how else do we address the problem? Got any ideas?

Personally, I think the change has to start from inside . . .
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Get it right the first time . . .

Post by movieman1957 »

CoffeeDan wrote:
Personally, I think the change has to start from inside . . .
And you would be right. Until people decide to take repsonsibility for what they do and understand that actions have consequences nothing will change.

People have to get past the thought that everyhting that is wrong is not somebody else's fault, that the governement cannot and is not supposed to fix everything and a political disagreement doesn't make either side an idiot.

Politicians also need to understand that the term "bi-partisan" doesn't mean "you must give in to my side." Both sides have to bend.
Chris

ken123

Post by ken123 »

" The Plot to Seize the White House " by Julues Archer has recently been reissued by Skyhorse Press. Originally published in 1973 by Hawthorne Books, the deals with a Rightist Coup, financed by Wall Street, against the " leftist " FDR administration. General Smedley Butler exposed Wall Street's plans and the plot fell apart. Then there is also November 23, 1963. Another Coup ? :cry:
Last edited by ken123 on May 2nd, 2007, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

ken123 wrote: Then there is also November 23, 1963. Anoth Coup ? :cry:
If it was it must have been one of the most miserable failures. I think if you want to go that far then shouldn't there have been a lot more things happen that day.
Chris

ken123

Post by ken123 »

The late Howard Hunt, of Watergate fame, taped a " confession "
in 2004 in regard to his " benchwarmer " role ( his term ) in the JFK assassination. His son St. John Hunt has played the tape on a number of talk radio programs recently. Howard Hunt fingers CIA man Cord Meyer (died 2001 ) as the coordinator of the plot. Meyer's wife Mary was a paramour of JFK who was killed in 1964, in a " hold up " attempt in Washington, D.C. :cry:
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Hunt also talks of his meetings at a CIA " safe house " in Miami where some of the planning for the " Kennedy hit " took place. Hunt says that he was NOT one of the shooters, he was in a " Command " position. According to Hunt President Kennedy was going to follow threw on his plans to break the CIA into a thousand pieces and had to be stopped. :cry:
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Well, I wouldn't call that a military coup, because the military didn't actually take control of the country.

I do believe that there is WAY more to JFK's assassination than meets the eye. And I do believe that people within our own government were involved.

But I believe it was more about putting Johnson (who was apparently more sympathetic to the culprit's goals) in the White House - not about taking over the country themselves....which is what would be required for a military coup.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Anyone interested in the future of the country should read " THE HIDDEN HISTORY OF THE KENNEDY YEARS " by David Talbot ( The Free Press ). I have just finished this outstanding book.Among the brother enemies were the FBI, CIA,The Joint Chiefs of Staff, the mob, racists, and key elements of the " Eastern Establisment ". Many portions of the book are very chilling, especially the JCS " Operation Northwoods ", a subject that I have mentioned many times on various website, but not on the TCM board or here. :cry:
CoffeeDan

Nah, baby, nah . . .

Post by CoffeeDan »

Elvis is dead, Alger Hiss was guilty, and Oswald acted alone. Abundant evidence supports all three of those assertions.
ken123

Re: Nah, baby, nah . . .

Post by ken123 »

CoffeeDan wrote:Elvis is dead, Alger Hiss was guilty, and Oswald acted alone. Abundant evidence supports all three of those assertions.
Front page of today's Chicago Sun - Times " RFK ON JFK MURDER: Bobby Kennedy always believed his brother was killed by Chicago mobsters, Cuban exiles and rogue CIA AGENTS ". Read the book " Brothers - The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years ", and THEN judge for yourself. :cry:
CoffeeDan

Re: Nah, baby, nah . . .

Post by CoffeeDan »

"Chicago mobsters, Cuban exiles, and rogue CIA agents" -- in alphabetical order, no less! Jeez, when you put all these Kennedy assassination theories together, it sounds like a bizarre version of Murder on the Orient Express.

I did read the article that appeared in the Sun-Times, but it didn't add too much to what is already out there. Yes, Bobby Kennedy did believe that other people were involved in his brother's assassination, but "believing" is still a long way from "proving" (take it from an old newspaper reporter). Attaching RFK's name to the assassination theory du jour does not give it any more credibility than it had before.

The big problem with the many conspiracy theories surrounding the Kennedy assassination is that there's no single theory unifying all the lesser theories, except for the sense of dread they commonly produce. (I suspect nostalgia plays a certain part, too.) The CTs have failed to finger a single culprit to replace Lee Harvey Oswald in the public mind, and probably never will.

I read Gerald Posner's book Case Closed years ago, and he summed things up pretty well. Now Vincent Bugliosi has a new book out where he directly addresses many of the main conspriacy theories and comes to the same conclusion -- Oswald acted alone. You can't get away from it.
Last edited by CoffeeDan on May 16th, 2007, 4:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

CoffeeDan.

The Bugliosi book got a winning review in last Sunday's LA Times Book Review (or what is passing for our Book Review these days in the hands of those out of town infidels that own the paper).

http://tinyurl.com/2226oo

Also the NYTimes weighs in:

http://tinyurl.com/34mwq5

Bugliosi is one of my favorite authors.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

ken123

Post by ken123 »

Please read the Talbot book, it demolishes Posner. Also, for whatever it is worth, RFK conducted his own investigation, before and after,the assassination, and there were other assassination attemps before Dallas, including a foiled Chicago plot, that involved another "defector" to Russia. At the time of the JFK murder the Kennedy admistration was attempting to get through Congress legislation that would give the AG the right to select the President's Bodyguards and take that right away from the Secret Service.

The Pentagon's " Operation Northwoods ", approved by every member of The Joint Chiefs of Staff shows what depravity lurks in some sections of the American Government. What about the late Howard Hunt's " confession " about his involvment in the planning of the murder of the President that took place in CIA safe houses in Miami, or so he says ? :cry: