TCM October Schedule Now Available

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

TCM October Schedule Now Available

Post by moira finnie »

You can see the TCM October, 2008 schedule at the following link:
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&oid=10/1/2008

It looks as though Carole Lombard is the Star of the Month on Mondays, with many rarely broadcast films featuring her included. Wonderful news.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

My second favorite actress of all time is Star of the Month??? Yayyyyy!!! I will be recording everything I don't already have. :D :D :D

I'm off to have a look at the schedule....thank you, Moira!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I'll be interested to see the Lombard movies; I've never been a big fan of hers, so maybe I'll be able to assess what all the fuss is about. In general, I'm not overly thrilled with October's selections. Not only is TCM giving us more of the same old same old, but it appears that a lot of October's programming repeats on itself. Oh, well -- there appear to be a lot of good silents, but I'll leave it to someone who is better acquainted with the silent genre to recommend things. I have a few talkies to point out:

Oct. 1 @11:45PM What Price Hollywood? (1932) - a forerunner of A Star is Born and its remakes, and very good in its own right.

Oct. 3 @6:15 PM The File on Thelma Jordan (1950) - Stanwyck takes Wendell Corey for a ride. That Corey -- what a sap.

Oct. 7 @4:00 PM - The Trial (1963) - TCM is once again showing us the newly restored Orson Welles take on Kafka, starring Tony Perkins. This one gets better upon repeated viewings.

Oct. 8 @1:15 PM Anne of Green Gables (1934) - Dawn O'Day played Anne Shirley, and she liked it so much, she took the name as her own from that day forward. A very nice, but very compressed version of the book. The excellent Australian character actor O.P. Heggie is so good as the taciturn but loving old Matthew.

Oct. 8 - from 4:00 PM on a series of early Katharine Hepburn movies, including Alice Adams, Quality Street, Little Women and Morning Glory. I'm a lifelong fan, but why on earth did they give her an Oscar for that one? It's probably her weakest performance; even worse than Bill of Divorcement. Her work in the first three listed is worlds better.

Oct. 9 @4:15 PM The Red Balloon (1956) - try to catch this charming half-hour French short if you haven't seen it yet (and see it again if you have). It was one of the most highly celebrated French films of the 1950s, and with good reason.

Oct. 9 - An evening with Jacques Tati. I don't mind him, but I don't love him. Still, his films, gentle comedies of social commentary, are pleasant to watch.

Oct. 11 @6:00 PM Targets (1968) - Peter Bogdanavich's first magnum opus, a tale of a sniper on the rampage. Flawed, but not bad. Scary, too.

Continued in next post
Last edited by jdb1 on July 11th, 2008, 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

More on October at TCM:

October 14 --Two of those juvenile delinquent-type movies of the 1950s that Hollywood loved to threaten us with: At 8:00 PM High School Confidential (1958) with Russ Tamblyn, and at 9:30 PM The Gene Krupa Story (1959) with the remarkable Sal Mineo. I've mentioned before that Mineo was really, really good, and he was only 20 when he made this one.

Oct. 14 @1:00 AM The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T (1953) -- So, was Dr. Seuss on acid, or what? An indefinable and indefensible story of adult sadism toward children masquerading as a musical. Nevertheless, little Tommy Rettig, my favorite child actor of the 50s, is very good, Peter Lind Hayes and Mary Healy (a married couple who used to do those "Mr & Mrs" radio and TV shows) lend some humanity to the proceedings, and the outrageous and over-the-top Hans Conreid is fabulous as the villain.

Oct. 15 @2:30 PM A Man To Remember (1938) - a very nice story of a small town doctor. TCM's print has subtitles, which appear to be Dutch. It just adds to the film's interest.

Oct. 17 @6:00 AM - Home In Oklahoma (1946) - if you're up early, you can see a nice Roy Rogers/Dale Evans movie. They were very good together - it's a combination rather like Astaire and Rogers; you know - to paraphrase; he gave her Western class, and she gave him onscreen sex appeal.

Oct. 18 @10:00 AM - Berserk (1967) - one of Joan Crawford's late-period lurid stinkers. Don't miss it.

Oct. 18 @1;15 AM Telefon (1977) - not the greatest thriller ever, but I like it, with Charles Bronson and Lee Remick. During this period, Bronson made a few pretty good movies like this one, and Rider on the Rain, From Noon 'Til Three, and the really good The Mechanic.

Oct. 21 @9:45 PM The Public Enemy (1931) TCM's print of this antique is beautiful, and James Cagney gives one of the most cracklingly sexual performances ever as the hyperkinetic title character. Then, of course, there's Mae Clarke and the grapefruit.

Oct. 22 @1:00 PM Higher and Higher (1944) - TCM showed this minor musical a few months ago. It's very entertaining, with a very appealing Michele Morgan and some stalwart movie musical supporters, like Jack Haley. Frank Sinatra has a small role, as Frank Sinatra, the boy next door.

Oct. 22 @5:30 AM The Body Snatcher (1945) - IMO, one of the best of Boris Karloff's middle period.

Oct. 24 @2:00 AM Carnival of Souls (1962) - a creepy cult favorite. A good example of what a creative director can do with a $7.32 budget.

Oct. 29 @9:30 AM Cornered (1946) - very good noir with a hard-boiled Dick Powell going to Argentina to track down the Nazis who murdered his wife.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

It also looks like TCM is spotlighting the anniversary of RKO by showing only RKO films every Wednesday.

I'm especially excited about that one!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

srowley75

Re: TCM October Schedule Now Available

Post by srowley75 »

moirafinnie wrote:You can see the TCM October, 2008 schedule at the following link:

It looks as though Carole Lombard is the Star of the Month on Mondays, with many rarely broadcast films featuring her included. Wonderful news.
But what the heck is it ever going to take to get them to run They Knew What They Wanted just one time?!? It's an RKO film, and TCM should have rights to it. It was released to Home Video for a brief time during the 1980s.

-Stephen
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Stephen,
I'd love to see They Knew What They Wanted (1940) too, this very rare, teaming of Charles Laughton with Carole Lombard in this early Garson Kanin-directed film has not been available, as far as I know for commercial broadcast in some time. It seems a bit odd, since William Gargan was nominated for an Oscar as a supporting actor for his work in this movie. Perhaps it is bound up in one of those dreadful legal tangles that have kept other good movies from view.

From what I hear from folks at TCM, there are many films that the network cannot always negotiate successfully to lease, though they continue to try. They do not own any films anymore, except for Double Harness, Rafter Romance and about 2 others that were unearthed from the Merian C. Cooper estate, restored and premiered within the last two years and must negotiate leases to broadcast all other movies. .

I like movies that have a touch of Sidney Howard in them, and would also like to see the musical he did with Frank Loesser, based on this material, The Most Happy Fella. I saw a summer stock production of this once upon a time and it was splendid. I'll put in a Suggest A Movie request for this 1940 Laughton-Lombard movie, Stephen (and cross my fingers).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Lzcutter wrote:It also looks like TCM is spotlighting the anniversary of RKO by showing only RKO films every Wednesday.

I'm especially excited about that one!
I hadn't noticed that---thank you for pointing it out, RKO is one of my favorite studios.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Re: TCM October Schedule Now Available

Post by MissGoddess »

srowley75 wrote:
moirafinnie wrote:You can see the TCM October, 2008 schedule at the following link:

But what the heck is it ever going to take to get them to run They Knew What They Wanted just one time?!? It's an RKO film, and TCM should have rights to it. It was released to Home Video for a brief time during the 1980s.

-Stephen
Good question! I will suggest it, too, because I've never seen it.
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'd love to see What Price Hollywood. I've heard so much about it. You must let us know about it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Carole Lombard is the only shining light among a host of pretty dark films. Not my favorite month.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

My Man Godfrey (1936) will be airing on October 13, at 8:00 p.m.

This is very fortunate as the last few times it was on the schedule it was replaced due to rights problems.

For those who've never seen it before, I highly recommend this screwball comedy with it's fabulous family. "Life in this family is one subpoena after another!"

For those who've seen it before, it's a chance to pick out a few of those one-liners you didn't catch before and take a better look at the evening gowns in the crowd scene at the Waldorf Scavenger Hunt.

For those of us who love it...it's a chance to play your favorite character along with the movie once again.

I'm so thrilled this has made it back onto the schedule and hope it stays put! This is one you won't want to miss...take it from the dizzy old broad with the goat.

B
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Everyone,

:o Hey you people, you all seemed to have overlooked Lon Chaney's THE BLACK BIRD (MGM, 1926) making it's North American TCM premier! A beautifully restored print with Robert Israel score. I am proud to say that I had a big hand in getting this heretofore Unknown, or at any rate rarely seen Tod Browning film on the October schedule.
Last edited by Gagman 66 on October 7th, 2008, 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"The Black Bird" airs Oct. 26 at midnight ET.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

And now, Here is the dastardly Dan Tate with an important reminder for everyone here.

THE BLACK BIRD Premiers in just a couple of weeks on TCM! You'd All better be watchin' or Else......!!!!