That 1981 Test Match Ashes series

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

That 1981 Test Match Ashes series

Post by stuart.uk »

england v austraila Many yrs ago in the 19th Century England started playing Austraila at cricket. In the earlys England won all the time, but eventually the Aussie's won. Such was the grief at this defeat the the bails of the wickets were burn't to ashes and stored in a tiny ern. From there on in usually when England and Austraila meet, it's to contest the Ashes. Though the original Ashes are kept secure at Lords cricket club all the time.

One of the great contests came in 1981 with all-rounder Ian Botham the Captain of England and Kim Hughes the Aussies. Botham and England had just returned from a hard tour of the West-Indies losing the series 2-0, so the pressure was on to restore some pride in English cricket.

England lost the first match, then only drew the second. Botham, who had a pair(two scores in the 2nd test) resigned before he was sacked and former England Captain Mike Brearley was reinstated in the job.

In the 3rd Test match at heddingly things only got worse. After scoring a sizeable total Australia got England out cheap, forcing them to follow on (this means the total was so low Austraila didn't have to bat, hoping to get the English out before they got near their 1st innings total. If England reached the total, the Aussies could still bat and get the required runs). The one saving grace was that sacked Captain Botham scored a 50.

In their 2nd inning's England again struggled, on a bowler friendly wicket, a humilating defeat seemed likely. The only recognized batsman left was Ian Botham, who along with the tail decided to go for their shots. Against all the odds, England had a lead of 130 when they were all out. Botham had scored an astonishing 149 in quick time. The Aussie's were still favourites as 130 wasn't a big score, but England's no 11 Bob Willis bowled brillaintly taking 8 wickets in a historic victory.

In the 4th Test at Edgbasten Australia were close to victory needing only a few runs and with plenty of wickets intact. That man Botham again was but on to bowl and took a remarkable 5 wickets for 1 run and England were 2-1 up in the series.

In the 5th test at Old Trafford Botham scored 118 in quick time in an innings thought to be even better than his 149.

In the 6th Test at the Oval Botham took six wickets in a drawn match.

England won the series 3-1
Metry_Road

BBC America

Post by Metry_Road »

Dear Stuart, I recently changed to Comcast cable because 'BBC America' was provided as part of their regular package. I have to say that it has been a total disappointment. It is truly awful. Last night for instance we were treated to several back-to-back episodes of 'Plastic Surgery Junkies' (I didn't watch). I expected that regular BBC programming such as 'Top Of The Pops', East Enders' 'I Claudius' 'Match Of The Day' etc. would be shown. I lived in the UK for a while back in the late 80's and early 90's. But the endless crap shown by BBC America makes me ask the question, has British media and culture sunk as low as American media and culture? Please tell me that the BBC has not gone down the toilet, and that 'BBC America' has simply been tailored for the moronic masses in the USA, hence, the bottom of the barrel reality shows.

The BBC - Television and radio - has always been a standard of quality for me (a standard that American TV will never achieve). Probably because the BBC never had to rely on advertising. British people always complained about having to buy a TV Licence, but the payoff was superior programming.

If the BBC has gone down the drain, then western civilization is really in decline.

Best Wishes

Metairie Road
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

BBC Sport if anything is better than ever. The flag waving Sports show Grandstand was scrapped a couple of yrs ago, but all the sports they show now have they're own idvidual identity. Gary Linecar presents Match Of The Day with usually Alan Hansen, Alan Shearer and Mark Lawerencen. Gary also presents The Masters, The British Open and The World Matchplay Championship with Hazel Irvine filling in the gaps for other golf tournaments. Hazel is the main presenter for Snooker and is in her element at the World Championship. She also does Athletics, but Sue Barker does the major events with Micheal Johnson. Sue, as an ex tennis champion, is the Beebs anchorman at Wimbledon with the likes of John Mcenroe and Tracy Austin. My own favourite is Claire Balding, who does the horse racing and is in her element at The Grand National, The Derby, Royal Ascot and other major meets. Her double act with ex flat jockey Willie Carson would grace the stage. Claire also does Rugby League, Tennis and Eventing.

Cricket and Motor Racing where lost to other channels for many yrs, but recently the Beeb bought back the rights to show those sports. Competition is fierce. In the old days they only had ITV to worry about, bit now there is Channel 4 and 5. However, it's Sky Sports, who have a lot of sporting contracts. They have The Ryder Cup and get most of the boxing. In recent yrs we had our greatest ever Heavy Weight Boxer in Lennox Lewis, but unless you paid for Sky, you never got a chance to see him in action.

BBC Drama still has high standards. New Tricks is one of the best cop shows on the box, as is Waking The Dead.

Stictly Come Dancing (U.S version Dancing With The Stars) is a hugely popular show in the UK with the celebrities reaching high standards as dancers. Cricketers Mark Ramprakash and Darren Cough, along with last yrs winner Alisha Dixon are great examples of that. No disrespect to DWTS I think the British version is better. Admittedly American celebrities score higher marks, but two judges, who join Len and Bruno, are really strict on the UK show

Recently Doctor Who has reached new heights of excellence, even though it has endured over a period off 45 yrs. David Tennant is suberb as The Doctor and in a wonderful 3 parter he was joined by Tom Baker favourite Eisabeth Sladen, who is more attractive now than she was 30 yrs ago, as they saved the Universe from The Daleks. The show also inspired Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures

Top Of The Pops no longer excists. After 40 yrs it had run it's course