Women of the 1940's

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

America has a huge diversity of language, many different factors will come into effect. Compared to Britain you are HUGE. We have very diverse accents. From where I live I could get to the top of Scotland or to Land's End in under 12 hours, yet there are some accents I just can't tune into. The Geordie accent, you come across a broad Geordie accent and it's very difficult to pick up. I have problems with a Brummie accent too. Most others I can pick up. i'm not far from the Scousers, I love that accent.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
inglis

Post by inglis »

movieman1957 wrote:Judith:

The thing about the flip flops bugs me too as it has creeped into the church culture. Casual is one thing but for my own personal taste that is a bit too far. I gave up wearing ties and coats but I'm just old fashined enough that I don't think people should not wear shorts and flip flops to church. They're still fine people but my sense is that a little respect for where you are is still in order.
Chris years ago when I went to Europe with my Mom we were to go to the Vatican and my Mom would not let me wear this skirt and so I had to change into a dress and I had these sandles that were proper enough to wear.Your comment made me think of that day
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Chris: You don't wear a coat and tie to church?!?!? You are a rebel -- or a Unitarian. :wink: When I go to our church on a weekday to go through correspondence or some such mundane task, I feel guilty about not wearing a coat and tie. But on a Sunday? Never!

And I'm the only male there on Sunday under the age of 60 (ever so barely) who is wearing a coat and tie in the summer -- regardless of temperature. I may be Greek Orthodox now, but my Momma raised her a Baptist.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm a Baptist too. It took a while for me to dress down, if you will, but my church is a more relaxed atmosphere than my previous church so I thought i could back off a little. I tease my music minister, who is doing very well fighting pancreatic cancer, that it must be an extra special Sunday when he tucks his shirt in. He's a great guy and I am amazed and grateful that I still get to play in the band.

Since I am on the stage I still at least wear clothes I wear to work. Long sleeve shirt and nice shoes. It was a big change but I'm none the worse for it. I still love a good jacket and a well tied neck tie.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."