What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Eve, it doesn't sound like your making anyone out to be a liar. It sounds like your giving us good advice on how to be discerning readers. The book on Joan still interests me.

I've found your book :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I didnt' think you sounded at all like you were accusing Charlotte Chandler of anything, either and in fact, I welcome insights from someone in the field who knows the score!

Well, I looked at the book's opening pages and there is a page with a list of acknowledgements, so I guess those were Chandler's sources, most particularly Crawford's publicist and friend, John Springer who provided many of the quotes from his conversations with Joan. I also saw that Crawford's children (except Christina) and grandchildren were interviewed and seem to sanction the book, so that makes me feel better about it.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I finished the Joan Crawford book and enjoyed reading what she had to say for herself, as well as from others who knew her. It's a nice tribute to one of the most interesting "success stories" of 20th century America. Nowhere else could a girl like her have climbed up so far.

Now to decide what's next...since we're having a John Ford "summer school" at TCM, I probably should take up one of the half dozen books on him I recently aquired and have yet to read, including two on just his westerns.
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

I'm reading Romantic Comedy by James Harvey, it's great very informative and goes into lots of details about some of my favorite actors and directors.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I read Romantic Comedy a long time ago and think the author did a great job. I also heard Harvey speak at a screening of Theodora Goes Wild at the Museum of Modern Art. It's a one-of-a-kind book.
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

I finished "Tab Hunter Confidential", a honest account (IMO) of this teen idol life, written without falling into shock value for the sake of selling. A good read.

I began yesterday "Lion Of Hollywood", by Scott Eyman and so far excellent! My kind of book. And the subject (LB and MGM) is most interesting to me.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I finished Lindsay Anderson's About John Ford (superb) and a
collection of essays and interviews called John Ford Made Westerns
(I cheated a little on the latter, as I only read the vintage pieces, not the
more recent ones).

I can't decide what's next. I thought about re-reading Huston's An
Open Book
because it's been so long and I remember it as very
entertaining. However, I may take up Capra's The Name Above the
Title
if I can find a good copy.
-- Will Rogers
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

In between sightseeing & siestas while on vacation for the past couple of weeks, I read:

More Than Night: Film Noir in Its Contexts (James Naremore, 2008 ed.) -- Don't you love a book that reinforces some of your thoughts as it is also challenging others? By trying to delineate the themes and elements of film noir, he establishes that there can be no dogmatic definition. He also challenges the primacy of the influence on film noir of the pulp writers and German Expressionism. Excellent discussion of recent noir.

Who the Devil Made It: Conversations with Legendary Film Directors (Peter Bogdanovich) -- I've read it before, but went back to re-read his interviews of Robert Aldrich, Joseph H. Lewis, Otto Preminger, Don Siegel, Frank Tashlin and Edgar G. Ulmer.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

That's a good idea, ChiO, I may read the Bogdanovich book(s) instead.
-- Will Rogers
inglis

Post by inglis »

I am reading this Bob Dylan book but its not going all that well .I have three going at the same time. The Mortician's Daughter by Elizabeth Bloom and The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. I am not able to keep focused enough for any of them .I am very much interested to read Lee Server's book about Mitchum ( Baby I Just Don't care)The last time I was on which seems like years I had gotten a chance to ask him some questions about it . I hope I get the chance to read it.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm not reading a lot right now, I have so many DVD's that I want to see. I'm still reading Baby, I Don't Give a Damn (Robert Mitchum). I keep it in the bathroom. I have a bad habit of skipping paragraphs if I have a movie I'm waiting to come on, or have to stir dinner, or anything else that may take me away from reading, so by keeping it in the throne room, I read a few pages every now and then every day. It's taking me time, but I'm absorbing everything I'm reading, and loving every word.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

I'm reading Romantic Comedy by James Harvey, I'm about half way through. It's an exellent look into the genre and the directors and actors that shaped it.
charliechaplinfan

I caught up on my reading on holiday.

I finished reading Behind The Mask of Innocence by Kevin Brownlow a book I've been trying to get into for ages. I like Kevin Brownlow's writing but it isn't the kind of book to be picked up for ten minutes here and there. It needs proper reading, it brings you into the world of the teens and twenties and the issues of the day. The stories behind the films are fascinating but I felt that he really brings the social isues of the day to modern audiences. It covers everything from women's suffrage, crime, drugs, alcohol, immigration etc. It's an absolutely fascinating read and one I shall look to time and time again as I watch my way through my silent films.

The second book I tackled which I'm very close to finishing is People Will Talk by John Kobal. Again I was fascinated, he managed to get inteviews with some of the biggest names from classic film, some stars, directors and photographers. A lot of it is very candid. I plan to finish it very soon. The best thing about it is that it was listed on Amazon at 1p.

The last book I read was Marcello Mastroianni The Fun of Cinema by Mathilde Hochkofler. It's an illuminating look at the films of one of the greatest actors of his age. He didn't only have a successful career in Italy but in France too and he made movies all over the world. Lots of pictures too and of course he's lovely to look at 8)
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I'm reading alot lately, although none of them are film related. I just finished Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Joe is in reality Stephen King's son and you can tell by the style. Overall an enjoyable tale of horror and gore, mixed with ghosts and rock and roll.

Just started another Robert Ludlum book, and after this and a couple more, I'll probably jump back to James Michener for a while.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Glad you posted Charlie. You should come 'round more often.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."